“A lovely stay.”

Ranked #38 of 114 Hotels / Ryokan in Yokohama
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“A lovely stay.”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

A very nice hotel conveniently situated close to Sakuragicho station, from where you can connect to Yokohama main station and therefore pretty much everywhere else. The hotel is also quite close to bars, restaurants and a local supermarket. Also nearby to the bay area. The hotel staff were lovely, polite and helpful and spoke very good English (though I did try and speak Japanese wherever possible). The room was pleasant, quite spacious, well equipped and very clean. It was also very quiet. The air conditioning was excellent, which we were very glad of. We did not eat breakfast there, though by all accounts it was very good. There is also the option of the pool and spa treatments. If I had cause to return to Yokohama I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Breezbay is a good hotel - but be careful and make sure you get a non-smoking room! We didn't think about that until we got a smoking room which was so unpleasant. They moved us quickly and cheerfully. The hotel hotel is situated next to a station and a lovely part of town where there are small streets full of bars and small restaurants - very different from the large international hotels. The breakfast is good value and varied, the staff very helpful and kind.

Room Tip: Avoid the smoking rooms!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Katie H
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My first impression was not good. It seemed smelly and tired, but maybe that was because I was. A long trip from Australia and then my bag was lost so no clothes to change into. Anyway it worked out in the end. It is not a plush hotel, but it is clean and comfortable. The breakfast spread is amazing! the staff speak a little English - enough to manage. Its best feature is location - near the the station and in the middle of a great location - lots of small restaurants and bars. Very few foreigners - and if you want glitz not far from enormous shopping malls. Easy to catch train to Tokyo or Yokohama - and lovely walk around port, If you can work out how to hire a BayBike then go for a ride. Overall very good and not too expensive. We went down to look at the pool but we couldn't make ourselves understood so gave up. We did find a large public pool not far away.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Our stay at this hotel was a very odd experience...something we have never encountered before. Upon checking-in, we got lost numerous times inside. It's difficult to explain the layout to someone who hasn't been there before, but the structure was not practical at all.

We knew things didn't feel right after we received the key to our room. I wish we took a picture, but our key was an old fashioned "medieval" key. This was the most noteworthy quirk to our stay. Not sure why they haven't switched to key-card technology, but this raises an alarming security concern. If we were to lose our key, someone could have easily picked it up and known which room was ours (the room number was displayed on the key handle). Our room was at the end of the hallway next to fire escape/stairway, which had some end-table in front of it. Not exactly sure what it was, but it was blocking the entrance- another safety concern.

As for the room itself, our room was small but comfortable. We had a non-smoking, double twin room. The bathroom door was immediately to my right when I entered the entrance. The bathroom door was a bit damaged as it appeared someone had punched it before. Our rooms were sort-of clean. At first we were very excited to see a hot water boiler in our room. That is until we saw there was leftover water in the pot from the previous guests who stayed in our room (how else would water be there?) Another odd quirk that I still don't understand was how our light switch & wall outlets worked. There were multiple wall outlets throughout our room, but the ONLY way we could use them was while the lights were on. Basically, it was all or nothing. There was only one light switch by the entrance and if that switch was off, the wall outlets wouldn't work. We literally had to sleep with the lights on EVERY night in order to charge our phones/cameras/tablets (we figured this out the hard way). The only reason I did not give this hotel a 2-star rating was because the beds were at least clean.

Also, our television was broken during our entire stay. Luckily we were able to watch one channel (only one) on our first night. For some reason the remote wouldn't let us switch channels...that and the volume never worked! Not sure if this was an issue with the remote or the TV, but after our first night we weren't able to turn the TV on at all. Just a black screen and white noise. We are usually not assertive people, so we let this one slide, but we definitely will not be returning to this hotel again. My family paid way too much money for such minimal experience. The only good thing about this hotel was the easy access to public transportation and free Wi-fi (can't find that easily nowadays).

Going back to their confusing layout, the cafeteria was difficult to find, at least for us. We simply wanted coffee and afternoon snacks. We were redirected three times to this "cafeteria" until we reached a bar. Apparently this bar was the cafeteria...? All they had were beverages, so I ordered my $6 coffee expecting it to be one special cup of coffee. Ten minutes later I received my small 4 oz. sip of coffee. Looking through the pictures though, it definitely looks like the cafeteria exists.....somewhere. So I'm sure this was a misunderstanding or bad timing.

Last note: Breezebay actually charges their guests to use their pool. There was a sign on the elevator that explained the rates (can't remember). When we looked at the pool area, there were swimming lessons going on for children. If you think about the sanitary conditions, I wouldn't want to swim in the pool even if it were for free! I have never heard of any hotel charging their customers to use their swimming pool. It makes complete sense to charge customers for services like spas and massages (which they do offer in fact), but for a swimming pool?

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Alex G

Travellers are raving about these Yokohama hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Nice large entrance lobby, fast lifts. The rooms were modern and of a decent size for Japan. Breakfast was very good, lots to choose from. It's not what I would call a resort though, it's a hotel in a city. There are male and female onsens downstairs in the basement. The female one is small so gets full up very quickly and my wife/daughters could never get into it. Disappointing because the hotel gave us free entry vouchers for it. The male one in much larger because there is also a Capsule hotel here just for men. It's in a good location within walking distance of Sakuragichou which has a huge shopping mall and an amusement park.
Overall was good value for money, would stay again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Keith299
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Not bad, but looking very early to mid-90's. Non smoking room still has a lingering smoky smell. The ceiling is low in the breakfast restaurant and direly needs some dusting. View is not as nice as it could be as there as from the top floor you cannot see the Rainbow Bridge, 'Cosmo Clock', etc.

Overall though the price paid was reasonable and the breakfast was good so despite the negatives this hotel earned a couple points.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Chandlers Ford
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Stayed at this hotel on business. Overall impression is of a sad and neglected establishment. I stayed in 1995 and I don't think they've changed the carpet!
Check-in was okay but was surprised to receive a metal key for my room. I thought that idea went out long ago! The room was on the 7th floor unfortunately overlooking a building site with pile driver, and the railway. Work on the site usually started at 8am so wasn't too much of a problem but the trains ran late (up to 2am) and started early (5am). So not much sleep there, because they were very noisy.
No snack bar or restaurant except for breakfast - which was buffet style - on the 14th floor. Again, in rather shabby, sad surroundings. The bar was very overpriced with a small (and I mean 'small' beer almost twice the price of local restaurants.
Laundry was okay except the amounts charged were always the highest in the range (shirts ranged from 300 Yen to 450 Yen but were always charged at 450 Yen).
Facilities in the room were good. The supplies in the bathroom were excellent, and normally stuff you would need to buy in other hotels.
Glad the tab was picked up by my company! (Room rate 7,000 yen)

Room Tip: Choose opposite side to the railway unless you are a sound sleeper or have earplugs.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business