“Worst Customer Service in Japan”

Hotel JAL City Kannai Yokohama
Ranked #8 of 114 Hotels / Ryokan in Yokohama
Reviewed 17 December 2013

This review is for Hotel JAL Kannai's front desk customer service instead of hotel itself. My sister and I stayed at this hotel on Dec 7 & 8 for 2 nights. When we brought in our luggage on Dec 7 for luggage storage early that afternoon, the female staff that helped us was warm and polite. However, things turned 360 degrees when we checked in later that night.

There were two male staff on duty at the front desk when we checked in around 9-10pm. The gentleman (who speaks good English) that did the check-in for us was not polite and rather rude. There was no smile, no greeting (as it is an extremely common and important gesture to greet and say "welcome" to any incoming customers) and no "Thank You" when handing over our room card. And I was the one said "Thank You" when I took the room card from him. When entering the elevator, I asked my sister, "What the heck is his problem? And what's up with his bad attitude?" Maybe he was having a bad day, but it is extremely unprofessional and I think he needs to be re-trained for customer service.

The next morning when we went downstairs because want to ask for restaurant suggestion, we saw him checking out guests with proper greeting and attitude. Unfortunately, the female staff was not very fluent in English and asked us to speak to the rude gentlemen from last night (because he is better in English). My sister and I politely refused and left the hotel because we did not want to speak to him.

The hotel itself is ok and the location is good (it is the reason why we booked this hotel), our double moderate room was small compared to other hotels we stayed. We have stayed from budget to luxury hotels (Best Western to Park Hyatt Tokyo) during our 20 days Japan trip, the customer service we received at Hotel JAL Kannai was by far the worst and we will definitely not return in the future and will advice our friends & family to stay away from this hotel as there are plenty of other hotels in the area.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Jenny W

Reviewed 23 October 2013

As a price range under $100, it was terrific. The rooms are typically small of this category, but the bathroom was a bit larger than average in this class. The lobby and restaurant were worthy of higher rated hotels as was the overall condition of the hotel across the board. The internet was fast and free, but my only gripe was that you needed to hard wire for internet connection in the room, which I was not able to do because my laptop was not enabled. Even the interior of the room was furnished and decorated above its class and certainly beautifully maintained. The subways were located with 5 - 7 minutes walk and ran frequently. Once settled in, it is really easy to navigate the neighborhood because it is in blocks, plenty of stores, restaurants etc nearby.

Room Tip: There are no views and since the hotel is somewhat on a side street, the area is fairly quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank kahoru w
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I was surprised to see how small the room is the first time I went in. Well, this is Japan anyway .But I didn't mind it so much after a while since it's just me and my husband and we are here mostly for work.
I loved the bathroom, with a perfectly sized tub , the Japanese toilet and the amenities.
Overall the room is very clean and looks new. It has everything you need , ref ,safety box , table , free internet LAN in room and wifi in lobby.
The room even has a trouser press and you can borrow an iron and board if you need.
The breakfast is repetitive as most hotel breakfast are. The selection is simple but quality is good.
Service is very friendly and efficient both in the restaurant and reception.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank jado_and_kea
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This room is spacious compared to the others in Japan. Take a look at the photos
Clean, spacious, modern and they even have a bath tub.
Not those partition kind of bath tubs, it's the kind you can soak in.
I would have expected to pay more for such a room.
Walking distance to Chinatown, around 5 mins from Nihon Odori station. 15 to 20mins if you want to explore Cosmo world.

Will come back to JAL if i visit Yokohama again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We only had one night here as we were catching a cruise in the morning, for which the hotel is great as you can easily walk to the port.
The rooms are clean and tidy, but our's was quite small and you wouldn't want to spend too many nights here or you'll be falling over your luggage!
It seemed quite well located and everything, including the pleasant dock area, was within easy walking distance.
There's not really too much one can say about the hotel - it's not overflowing with character, nor is it rubbish, it's just a 2.4 hotel that does the job. To be honest, I'd put it in the GOOD category, but as VERY GOOD is the only option (and AVERAGE would be harsh!), that has to be my rating!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank msprichj
Reviewed 2 August 2013

This JAL hotel is inner street - so I recommend you to get their by taxi.
After I landed in Haneda airport, I took limousine bus then tranfer to taxi. (Please make sure how you get there). Room size was appropriate for 1 person and neat & tidy. Only local broadcast were available, no overseas channel.
It was very ironic that they offer far better breakfast than other two giant hotels I stayed later (Shinagawa Ekimae Keikyu Inn, Shinagawa Prince Hotel) which was nutritiousl balanced.
For dinner, you can go to Chinatown and taste bunch of different Chinese food. Only 3~5mins walk required!
And on the other side, there was a port and bayside walk which was romantic for the couples. I also enjoyed cruise dinner there that takes you two and half hours return trip on the water. Glamourous!

Room Tip: Some rooms' window is facing another building right in front.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Eun Sil N
Reviewed 23 April 2013

The first hotel in which we stayed in Japan (for 2 nights); Expedia had given us a very good price. We got there by subway, even though it was in our very first hours in Japan, at night, after a long flight (the excellent Minato Mirai line, which we got to know very well); the room was small but extremely well-designed and the personnel was very helpful. The breakfast buffet was excellent and we enjoyed our two days in this hotel. The clientele was mostly Japanese and Asian. We tried to go back to it two weeks later, after a dismal experience in Tokyo, but it was completely full. For good reason, it is right next to Nihon Odori subway, to Chinatown, and to the Bay.

Room Tip: Try to go high and ask a room on the back.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple