“Excellent, courteous, professional service”
Review of Hotel New Yokosuka

Hotel New Yokosuka
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels / Ryokan in Yokosuka
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I returned here, after 4 months at home, to find the items I left boxed and stored, placed in my room! Management was courteous to greet us upon our return. Mr Kruz Nagano and staff were as welcoming as expected. The rooms may be small, but they are clean, functional, and during this second stay, with a nice view of the navy ships. I can't ask for better. Japanese courtesy reins at this hotel. They find a way to say yes, to your requests. I am extremely grateful for mr Kruz for his professionalism and flexibility. The rooms have a small fridge, flat screen tv, AFN, if you have a dodea address, micro convention small oven, coffee maker, a balcony, and Japanese style toilet (love these). If you're coming to yokosuka navy base, this is a great option for lodging.

Maritza R.

Room Tip: Try to get a high floor, since there are many bars around, at night, in the lower floors, it can get...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 16 July 2014

The room is a little smaller than I am used to, but this is the first time I have traveled in Japan. The restroom is also very small, but water pressure is great, and toilet comes with built-in bidet. The room comes equipped with mini fridge, microwave, and a comfortable bed. The A/C works quite well, but I also liked having the window open wide for fresh air. Being on the 4th floor, a lot of street activity can be heard at night with the window open, but nice and quiet with it closed. The staff are very friendly, helpful, and courteous. Free laundry and internet, plus free (huge!) breakfast buffet and evening drinks are great value-added amenities. Location is close enough for just a short walk to the base, while also being close to downtown shopping and dining. I would definitely recommend this hotel, and look forward to staying here again my next time through.

Only cons: Smallness of room and bathroom (easily overlooked); night-time noises from the street (it's a party part of town); the room is a little sterile, or un-decorated (also easily over-looked)

Room Tip: The higher the room, the less the outside night-time noises are heard.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Lanisi
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I have stayed here twice in the past month. Both times the staff have been exceptional in making your stay as best it can be. Breakfast is included in your pricing which includes a full buffet including eggs to order and more. American and Japanese cuisine is available. Coffee is available all day in the lobby area and wifi in the hotel is in room and in the lobby. In the hotel common the rooms are a little smaller than across the street in the more extended stay or suite type rooms. If you stay in the hotel itself laundry service is available daily. You drop off by ten and it is returned the next day. Free water (filtered) tanks are put throughout the hotel for use and to refill 24 hours a day with vending as well. In the rooms across the street stoves, larger fridges, washer dryer, larger computer areas and beds are available. Laundry service is as well for a charge if you don't wash your own clothes with the detergent and such provided. The hotel is central to many places to eat, the navy base, and shopping. Overall a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Try to get rooms off the street. Most areas around the hotel open in the evening and remain open unt...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Steve P
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Checked in at 1am after very long flight, and long taxi ride. Room is OK, 9 X 11 with a bathroom. It is all you need. Free LAN, laundry, and meal, plus 5 free drink tickets per day. first impression was not great, now 12 hours later- no issues at all. Full of Americans here. Great working hotel. Free shuttle to the base every morning. Turned out very good.

Room Tip: Any room is OK, I am on top floor, 9th- and I like it
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I've stayed at the Hotel New Yokosuka and their sister facility Hotel Yokosuka four times in the past two years, each stay was several weeks. The Hotel New Yokosuka is the main hotel that handles reservations for both facilities. The staff at both hotels speak good English and have always been very helpful in making sure my accommodations matched my needs, even to the point of assisting me with obtaining reservations at other hotels when this one was full.

Both the Hotel New Yokosuka and Hotel Yokosuka provide laundry facilities and free laundry/dry cleaning service daily. A very good daily breakfast buffet with eggs to order is also provided at no extra cost at the main hotel for all hotel guests from 5:30 AM to 9:00 AM. Both hotels tend to have mostly foreign guests, primarily U.S. contractors and sailors who work at the Naval Facility, some whom are accompanied by their spouses.

Hotel New Yokosuka is the primary facility and includes a couple of tower facilities that are within a block of the hotel. The main hotel includes a large bar area that is frequented in the evening by the often rough and tumble shipyard workers and sailors staying at the hotel who are de-stressing (letting off steam) after work. The noise level in the bar can be especially loud on weekend evenings, similar to bars in the U.S. If you are not used to this it can come as a shock as you pass through the hotel lobby. The noise does not penetrate to the rooms which are generally quiet - and small compared to Western standards as are most Japanese hotels. I find even the smallest rooms to be comfortable and adequate for my needs during business trips, with Wi-Fi, refrigerator, TV and microwave ovens included. You can exchange currency in the hotel lobby without any extra fees. There are several local bars outside of the hotel that cater to the U.S. sailors and contractors with many options for different kinds of entertainment. Karaoke singers can be heard in the streets outside of the bars, especially on the weekends. If this is not what you want, then just a few blocks away are other eating and shopping options and access to the train stations.

Hotel Yokosuka is about a 5 minute bus ride away from the main hotel. This is an older building without a bar and is much quieter than the other hotel. There is a scheduled shuttle bus between the Hotel Yokosuka and the Hotel New Yokosuka several times a day, and you can request (in advance) special runs between hotels. The free breakfast is provided at the main hotel only - people staying at the Hotel Yokosuka routinely ride the shuttle bus to the main hotel to get breakfast, then either walk to the base or ride the hotel shuttle bus over to the base if they are working there that day.

I prefer staying at the Hotel Yokosuka because it is much quieter, closer to the local shops and eating places that don't cater specifically to U.S. visitors, and especially because of the hotel lobby staff which are much more friendly here than at the main hotel (I suspect this has something to do with the smaller and quieter lobby here compared to the loudness of the bar at the main hotel which impacts the lobby). I often walk to this hotel at the end of the day instead of waiting for the shuttle bus from the main hotel. Walking takes me about 20 minutes or so which can be interesting (especially if you take back alleys where the best shops seem to be) but can sometimes seem long after a full day of work.

If you are looking for a hotel in Yokosuka and are expecting a hotel equivalent to Western hotels, then this is not the hotel for you and I'd recommend looking at hotels in Yokohama and riding the train every day. But if you want friendly service close to the Yokosuka Naval Facility that routinely caters to the needs of U.S. guests, won't be surprised by the smaller Japanese-sized rooms, and you'd like to have a good free breakfast every morning along with free daily laundry service, then this hotel is a good option for short or long stays. TSB140307

Room Tip: The largest rooms go fast, so if you really need a larger room then request your reservation as earl...
3  Thank Tom B
Reviewed 20 February 2014

This hotel is designed to support American personnel supporting both the US and Japanese Navy base. If possible, do not book the standard room. It is OK by Japanese business standards but is cramped by US standards. I have stayed many at this hotel times in the last 18 years. The breakfast, included in the room charge, is an American breakfast. Good. Drink coupons, one included per day with the room, are used during the happy hour at the bar from 4PM to 10PM. Extra drink coupons can be requested at check in for additional room charge and not priced separately. When the Aircraft Carrier is in port rooms can be hard to get. Book early. Free transportation to the US base is included. Enjoy!

Room Tip: More expensive is worth it!
3  Thank william c
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I have had a difficult time with the service here. Having lived in Japan two years I have experienced a lot of great service, and it really shocks me that this hotel has been such an unpleasant experience. To start with I frequently go to the front desk or bar and get flatly ignored for a while before someone realizes I won't go away. Then they pretend to not understand what I am saying, even though I know I am asking something basic to hotel operations, like about the shuttle bus time, clogged toilet, or exchange rate which is clearly printed on the wall and I point to. My Japanese is limited but I don't have a hard time communicating with gestures and a few tries at various words or ways of explaining.

Here are some of the issues I have had.

1) clogged toilet that no one would come fix, despite several requests by phone over the course of a day, and then going to the front desk and refusing to leave until they came with me.

2) a broken mug of coffee at the bar area that was leaking everywhere, the bartender was standing there but refused to give me his attention, finally another guest poored the coffee that was spilling everywhere into another mug so i placed both mugs in front of the bartender and left.

3) a refusal by the front desk to give me any information, including phone numbers of surrounding businesses, directions to the train, or weather information. These are all things most hotels, especially hotels with lots of international guests do as a standard. The response I got was "we don't do that."

I have worked customer service in various fields for 10+ years and I know how to ask for things nicely and be understanding toward those who are working a job where they may not get treated well, and may not be paid well... but I really haven't been very many places where I couldn't get any of them to crack and accept that am just another human being getting along in this world.

All that being said. The maids on my floor are wonderful, and always helpful and greet me very nicely every time I see them. They really brighten my day, it's so confusing as to why the front desk staff is so resentful and unhelpful.

I wish I could leave and go somewhere else but my company is paying for this hotel and for now there aren't any other openings in the surrounding area they can put me. I am very unhappy.

1  Thank Sarah M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yokosuka
Mercure Hotel Yokosuka
Kanazawa-ku
Yokohama Techno Tower Hotel
Yokohama Techno Tower Hotel
#60 of 125 in Yokohama

Been to Hotel New Yokosuka? Share your experiences!