“Our splurge in Japan!”

Ranked #1 of 150 Hotels / Ryokan in Nikko
Cusco, Peru
“Our splurge in Japan!”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

One of favorite stays while in Japan for 2 weeks. Expensive...?...yes, but well worth it. Tip- upgrade to the private bath, which is right next to the beautiful and peaceful garden. This is a good way to decompress after staying in Tokyo for several days. Staff was incredible. They speak English. Our personal server for the meals was very kind and made us feel welcome. Food was fantastic. Highly recommend staying at the Okunoin Hotel Tokugawa in Nikko!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the private bath outside the room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank arizona-griswolds
Hotel_Tokugawa_Nikko, 広報担当マネージャー at Okunoin Hotel Tokugawa, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to post a review.

You have experienced, Hospitality of the Japanese style(Ryokan),We believe that it's very important. You told me to satisfy that point. It is a great pleasure our hotel staff.

I would like to thank you recommendations. 'Nikko area' you will arrive in 2hours by train from Tokyo. You can discover the good old Japan here. You can discover the good old days and traditional Japanese here. And you can also enjoy nature at the same time.

I am looking forward to see you again.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Customer service is usually very high everywhere in Japan but it reaches another level in this ryokan.
My friend and I stayed in a Japanese style room with futons. We were scared they might not be comfortable enough but we were very nicely surprised. The onsen is very relaxing and peaceful. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful the whole time. They were discreet yet always ready to go the extra mile to satisfy our needs. They organized a dinner with champagne included for us because we had eaten outside most of the time although we had a half board reservation.
Will remember our stay as a highlight of our trip in Japan!

Will be back!

Room Tip: The Japanese rooms which are more traditional :)
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Air-traveler-25
Hotel_Tokugawa_Nikko, 広報担当マネージャー at Okunoin Hotel Tokugawa, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Ms.Air-traveler-25 ,

Thank you very much for your review. We are glad that you have had a pleasant stay at Okunoin Hotel Tokugawa.

I wanted to enjoy Japanese cuisine to you more. I think that is really unfortunate. I should have been more polite description. We regret.
You enjoyed Japanese-style bedding, and Japanese-style bath. I am very pleased.

We hope your visit again on your next stay in Japan.
Portland, OR
Reviewed 4 May 2014

My husband frequents Japan on business trips but this was my first time traveling in Japan. We stayed here for one night and it was a lovely spacious room. The staff was incredibly hospitable, the room was spacious, the food was almost too beautiful to eat: but we did and I really enjoyed trying so many new dishes. The hot springs fed hot tub on our private balcony overlooked a srteam for an even more peaceful, relaxing soak in the tub.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Midnight2010
Dear Midnight2010.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at Okunoin Hotel Tokugawa.

We Japanese-style hotel, we always try our best to satisfy all needs and extra needs of our clients. We are more than happy to hear that we met your expectations.

If you come to Japan again, please come to the Okunoin Hotel Tokugawa. I am looking forward to see you again.
Paris, France
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Our stay at Okunoin Hotel Tokugawa was the highlight of our 1-week trip to Japan. We stayed two nights in this ryokan and from the pick-up at Nikko's train station to the check-out, everything was close to perfect.
Our Western-style room was comfortable and the hotel onsen (indoor and outdoor) was nice and relaxing, but the two things that made our stay unforgettable were the quality of the service and the Japanese cuisine they served at breakfast and dinner.
The service was attentive, personalized and discreet with amazing attention to the details. For instance, when we arrived, Kirihara-san, who took care of us during our stay, gave to my girlfriend "L'Occitane" cosmetics, knowing we were coming from France. Then, when taking us to our room, he instantly noticed that both of us were 175 cm tall and accordingly changed our yukatas to match our size. And I am not talking about how Kirihara-san helped us organize our days in the Nikko area (in addition to the UNESCO World Heritage shrines and temples of Nikko, you will also find plenty of nice hiking trails).
Kaiseki food was the other outstanding experience. We had dinner in a private room facing the scenic garden and enjoyed an endless series of small courses, discovering new products and flavors at each bite. Breakfast had nothing to envy to dinner and was another amazing culinary experience.
So if you look for an authentic Japanese ryokan-onsen experience with outstanding value for money (230 euros/night, breakfast and dinner included), I would definitely recommend Okunoin Hotel Tokugawa.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank mike_aji
Hotel_Tokugawa_Nikko, 広報担当マネージャー at Okunoin Hotel Tokugawa, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to post a review.

You have experienced,
Traditional Japanese dinner and Japanese style breakfast,
The space of possible relaxing bath,
Hospitality of the Japanese style,
We believe that it's very important.

You told me to satisfy that point. It is a great pleasure our hotel staff.

If you come to Japan again, please come to the Okunoin Hotel Tokugawa.
My favorite season is spring because there are many cherry blossoms at their peak.
In autumn, we can see a lot of beautiful colored leaves in the mountains.

I am looking forward to see you again.

Mr. Kirihara
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Just returned to Tokyo from our overnight stay in Nikko at Hotel Tokugawa. We landed a great rate because of the off season; my boyfriend and I were upgraded from a Western-style twin sized room to a Japanese-style suite with a separate living room and terrace.

The kaiseki dinner was visually stunning and delicious. The big hitters were the sashimi, shabu shabu, and tempura. The dozens of tiny appetizer dishes were spectacular, too, with the plum sake and uni being my favorites. And of course, the roll cake and fruits made for a tasty dessert.

In addition, the service was impeccable. From the moment we were picked up from the Nikko station, we were given a warm welcome and individualized service. (Btw, if you don't have a phone, which we didn't, have the tourist information center call the hotel for you!) I never even had to introduce myself; at check-in, dinner, and breakfast I was greeted with my first and last name. For our welcome drink, we both opted for the matcha tea (you also can't go wrong with the local draft beer). When we expressed our desires to hike in the national park, a gentleman helped get us maps, recommend trails, and take us to the bus stop the following morning.

Breakfast, though not as lengthy an affair as the kaiseki dinner, was delightful and filling. Definitely the best Japanese breakfast we've had.

The dinner alone was worth $100 per person, so $300 for one night for both of us was a steal! Highly recommend Okunoin Hotel Tokugawa!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank missxmelon
Hotel_Tokugawa_Nikko, お客様担当マネージャー at Okunoin Hotel Tokugawa, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to post a review. Your kind words are of the greatest encouragement to all of us. I will try more, the contents of the meal and hospitality. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Okunoin Hotel Tokugawa if your travels include Japan.
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

This is, by far, the most impressive ryokan I have ever visited.

From the first moment I arrived at the place, a truly attentive staff proactively sat with me to help planning my whole Nikko trip, which I have to say, impressed me. The whole ryokan and the room provide me all the essential needs for experiencing the ryokan. Starting with the fully equipped (e.g. 2 LCD tvs, a massage chair, a coffee machine, and etc.), clean and tidy room with in-room onzen giving comforts beyond expectation. Following with wonderful meals at the ryokan, they provided superb breakfast and dinner experience. For breakfast, I had a private room prepared in their restaurant to enjoy my well prepared meal while listening to jazz music and pampering myself with wonderful autumn scenery. For dinner, their in-room Kaiseki was delicious and neatly prepared. The lady who personally took care of my me provided great care and service (even when the communication was difficult because of language barrier). Their public onzen also provided great onzen experience with indoor and outdoor onzen where you can enjoy the color of autumn. Finally, they provided shuttle service which was always ready when I needed.

Thank you so much for this wonderful experience. I will surely return in the foreseeable future.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
8 Thank Ashere
Hotel_Tokugawa_Nikko, 広報担当マネージャー at Okunoin Hotel Tokugawa, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
We would like to thank you very much for your wonderful comments but also for your useful remarks. Khob-khu-mark-krup.
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and glad to hear that you are satisfied with our service and facilities.
We are very happy and proud that you liked the hotel, our hospitality and our dinner, breakfast.

I hope that you will staying with us again. Laew-pob-gun-mai-na
USA
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We loved staying at Okunoin. The staff was attentive and helpful and were used to having foreign guests. The building is a bit dated but well maintained. Our dinner was truly impressive and included a seemingly endless series of courses. The onsen outside was nicely landscaped and relaxing. We enjoyed walking through the garden. The location is great: close enough to Nikko to be convenient but far enough out of town to be quiet. We liked the sound of the river next door.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank SpindoctorAlpha
Hotel_Tokugawa_Nikko, 広報担当マネージャー at Okunoin Hotel Tokugawa, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Thank you very much for your kind words regarding our "Okunoin Hotel Tokugawa". We are very glad that you felt comfortable and We hope you enjoy your stay at our Ryokan again.