“Succulent and tasty”

Dining options: Reservations
Yokohama, Japan
“Succulent and tasty”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

It's a bit of walk uphill leading to Kanaya Hotel off the Romance Highway.
Best to ask the people from the hotel as it could be tricky to find if you don't know where Kanaya Hotel is.
We ordered Japanese Beef Steak and Pork Spareribs.
The steak is so soft that it melts in your mouth whilst the spare ribs was cooked just fine and it was really tasty. The garlic sauce that went with the steak was outrageously tasty!
Not so many customers in the restaurant but we thought it was just fine as we felt more relaxed and not rushing our meal.
The service was very good and prompt.
We can have another round here next time.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Beng d

Bonsall, California
“Overpriced, but very good food.”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

This restaurant is halfway up the driveway to the Kanaya Hotel and is one of very limited choices for dinner in Nikko. We walked in on a Friday night and there were only two other tables occupied. I think most people either have dinner included at their hotel or only come to Nikko for the day, which is the reason there are so few options for dinner here.

It doesn't look like much on the outside, but it is pleasantly old and rustic inside. The service is very formal, which I thought was a bit odd. Both of the people who served us spoke reasonable English, which was helpful. I wouldn't go so far as to say either of them were particularly friendly though, which is unusual in Japan. They did their job and that was about all. It seems like many employees in Nikko are burned out serving tourists, so they sort of tune out, which is what is happening here.

We ordered a set meal with a filet steak. It included a yuba salad and dessert. The salad was OK, but nothing special. The steak was delicious and perfectly cooked. But, be aware that the food is served on a sizzling hot iron skillet that flings grease and smoke all over the room. The waitress covered it immediately with an absorbent paper that caught most of it, but the whole place smells like grease because of this practice. In my opinion, it would be better to eliminate this gimmick and just serve the steaks on a plate, but maybe that's just me.

I felt that the price was too high for what we got, but it wasn't outrageous. The food was good and overall we enjoyed dining here. If the staff was more friendly I might feel better about the whole experience, but as it is I probably wouldn't make any effort to return. Be sure to check whether it is open before going here. The sign out front said it is open daily from 5-9pm, but it was closed on Thursday.

• Visited April 2014
Montreal, Canada
“A hidden treasure. Pricey but delicious”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I was travelling around Nikko with my mother and we wanted to find a place for dinner. It was not even 7pm and the darn town was already a ghost-town. Hardly anything (decent) was open in downtown Nikko. We veered left into the Kayana hotel along the Romantic Highway after looking giant posters with the promise of steak. We weren't disappointed.

I had the mixed grill of chicken, beef, beef pattie and shrimp. The chicken was tough but tasty. the beef was extremely well-cooked, well-seasoned without compromising the beef's natural flavour. The beef patty was also well seasoned and cooked. The shrimp was not necessary nor was it extraordinarily good. All in all, it was a good meal. My mother had the pork ribs, or should I say two dinosaur ribs of deliciousness. The pork ribs were very well-cooked and dripping with its natural fat and juices. Did I mention they were huge? We also shared the yuba salad (yuba is beancurd skin and one of Nikko's specialties), which was delicious. The salad dressing, though garlicky, was to die for.

On the downside, I didn't like the poor ventilation because almost everything was served on hotstones and the sizzling and smoke just made for a poor dining experience. The food saved the day though. It was also too pricey for my liking. But then again, I thought that everything in Nikko was over-priced as it survives on tourist dollars and I just couldn't shake off the feeling that we we were being over-charged. Nonetheless, it's a very pretty town not far from Tokyo (give or take 2h30min).

Visited June 2014
1 Thank ViandeFumee
“Wow!”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I went here since it was right next to my hotel. Got the cheapest steak set. The steak was amazing, tender, delicious, and mouth-watering!

• Visited May 2014
Brisbane, Australia
“Beautiful Food”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

After an early morning commute from Tokyo and exploring the shrines and temples all morning, we were eager for a hearty meal and a comfortable place to rest and reflect on the beautiful things we had seen. The restaurant is located off the main street and tourist thoroughfare and up a steep driveway which the restaurant shares with a hotel. The food was delightful, the service prompt and the meals were reasonably priced unless you order a steak option, but there are many other meal options to suit various budgets. An enjoyable dining experience, away from the hussle and bussle of tourists!

• Visited May 2014