“outstanding skills!”

and up
Afternoon Pass for Edo Wonderland Nikko Edomura
Ranked #4 of 203 things to do in Nikko
More attraction details
Owner description: Amusement park recreating ancient Japan.
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I've chaperoned students (ages 15-30) to Japan over a dozen times, however this was my first visit to Edo Wonderland. This time I escorted an "official" delegation of students to our Sister HS, who organized our activities each day. When i saw this on the schedule I expected a rather cheesy, unexciting place. I was completely in error. Students and teachers all enjoyed every minute, even in a hard rainfall (20 min or so and it was over, thankfully). One simply could not be outside in it, and a tea shop beckoned me in then served free hot tea to myself and the students who followed...! We enjoyed the Mizugei (water show, go here first) and street entertainers, the beautiful architecture and small (free!) museums (firefighters was an outstanding example). Students visited two rather gruesome museums and suggested I not visit. They know me well. We ALL loved the ninja shows! First "Ninja Theatre" displayed a story anyone could follow (I speak Japanese, however not all my students have strong skills) and outstanding tumbling/stagefighting. It was a bit cheesy, but totally fun. The best? Save it for last ~ THE RAVEN!!! Taking place in the home of a ninja, the set was impressive and the actor's skills were breathtaking. A very international audience, all totally involved. Each show has a charming "English" introduction. Relax and enjoy it ~ the cast members surely do! No need to spend extra on dressing up and such.... take photos with cast members and enjoy the scenery.

All reviews
"whole family"
"tea ceremonies"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed 26 June 2014

We enjoyed visiting this amusement park with our two teenage boys. The shows were pretty fun. Don't look for 100% historical accuracy, but overall entertaining. Our favorite part was watching the little kids training as young ninjas. I think the park mostly caters to families with young kids. We enjoyed it however!

2  Thank arizona-griswolds
Reviewed 5 June 2014

An Edo period styled park , where all the employees are dressed in traditional Japanese cloths.
It doesn't have any rides or a lot of food, there are 3 main things happening:
1. Dressing up in kimono/ninja/samurai/etc costumes (Costs extra)
2. Walk around, see the beautiful, large, detailed recreation of a traditional Japanese village
3. Shows (Free, In Japanese)

For the shows, there's an English timetable you can get in the ticket booths. They start in set hours, so manage your time to see as much as you can. If you can only manage a few, go for the recommended ones. The ninja fight show is incredible even if you don't know any Japanese.

8  Thank munchkin_case
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We were in Nikko for a 3 day break. On the last day we decided to take our 3 year old Grandson to Edo World. Not sure what to expect, this was a theme park based on the Shogunate period. We were invited to dress up for the day. We declined but many others did and this added to the atmosphere. The theme took you back in time and was really well constructed. There were quite a few shows and we tried the Ninja Show (which is not suitable for a 3 year old) so leaving our Grandson and his mum for I/2 hour we enjoyed a thrilling spectacle of Ninjas at work. The weather was wonderful and we toured the park over 4 hours. Whilst we enjoyed it all it really isn't suitable for a 3 year old who although he enjoyed himself he did not always understand what was going on. In another year or 18 months it will be perfect for him (although not cheap)

1  Thank jafergusonuk