“New hotel experience; really enjoyed it”
Review of Kasuga Hotel

Kasuga Hotel
Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels / Ryokan in Nara
Reviewed 30 November 2012

My wife and I stayed two nights at the Kasuga while visiting Nara. It was a very welcoming hotel, but almost deserted - perhaps we visited at a slow time.

I'm not nearly experienced enough to say whether the "traditional" room was a good example of the kind, but I can say we enjoyed it. Our room attendant was very helpful and professional. The futon-style beds were comfortable enough and the whole room was a pleasant space, even though we were used to more furnishings. The traditional-style breakfast was also nice; it was served in an adjacent room to give the attendant time to pack up our beds.

Otherwise the hotel was a great base from which to explore Nara - within easy walking distance of the parks. We took a taxi from the main JR station to the hotel because we had luggage and it was pouring rain, but one could probably walk it with little difficulty. Another rail station (Kintetsu) is much closer to the hotel.

We didn't eat at the restaurants (except for the in-room breakfast, which was good).

The spa / pool setup deserves special mention - it was pretty opulent and completely relaxing. They have both indoor and outdoor soaking pools, massaging jets, and a whole spa-like changing room. Separate facilities for men and women - one set is slightly nicer than the other, but they switch which side is men's and which is women's every day. Both nights the pool facilities were deserted, but they were easily big enough to hold 10 people without feeling crowded.

A very nice hotel - if we return to Nara we would definitely look here again.

Room Tip: The "traditional" room was a nice experience, but make sure you know what you're getti...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ezetta0041

Reviewed 12 September 2012

We stayed at the Kasuga Hotel for one night whilst visiting the temples and other sites of Nara. The hotel has a great location in the real heart of Nara just 100m from the Kintetsu Nara railway station. It is located next to the main shopping area and is very close to many of the main attractions in Nara.

It is presented as a Japanese style hotel, and clearly it caters principally for Japanese tourists or others seeking a Japanese experience. After a previous three nights sleeping on futons in Kyoto we opted for one of the few western style rooms. It was very small, however, it was clean contained two reasonable beds, and a bathroom with shower. There was no view from our room.

We arrived at just before noon, but were not allowed to check in until the official check in time of 3.00 pm (those are the rules and this is Japan). We received a welcome cup of tea brought to the room upon arrival.

I am sure this is a better hotel for those wanting to choose a Japanese style room - but if you want beds, probably best to try another hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Peter_R_Smith
Reviewed 8 August 2012

We stayed 2 nights in Japanese style room. Their name is "Hotel" but it is more like "Ryokan". Their breakfast and dinner were very good. We had the local beef Shabu Shabu for dinner one night which was excellent. Big bath with outside tub was very clean and nice. They switch men and women's bath in morning and evening, so we took bath twice a day to see what others look like. The place was kids friendly and very relaxing. Close to Kintetsu railway station, Kofuku-ji, and a busy shopping arcade.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Tatambo
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Perfect location. It is next to Nara Station (Kintetsu line), only 2 minutes walk is needed. I've booked a standard japanese style room to let my dad experience authentic japanese culture as this is his first time visit japan. Surprisingly, a special room is given to us when we checked in. There was a balcony, a small living room (6-Tatami) and a big living room (15-Tatami).

The meals were great. Dinner was served in room while breakfast was served at restaurant. The staff was very helpful.

You must try their public bath. They have 2 different styles of open bath, just like most japanese public baths, they exchange gender daily that you can experience both style when you stay there.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Bell0101
Reviewed 25 April 2012

During my travel in Japan, this turned out to be my favorite hotel. I loved it. The staff was very helpful. I felt their concern was sincere and motivated by a desire that I have a good experience. It was a very "Japanese" experience, but at the same time they were eager to accommodate my particular needs that often draw blank expressions from some other hotels. (Example: one futon is not enough padding, so they eagerly put two down for me.) The dining was really rather tasty. The public bath was the best I experienced in Japan. Really nice. I could get addicted to that! The location was wonderful. Within a few hundred meters is a covered shopping arcade that goes on and on for what seem forever. Really an amazing experience. Go the other direction and you find yourself in a tranquil park with wonderful temples, shrines, and museums of Buddhist art that is a real find.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the back courtyard area are not attractive.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Hans50
Reviewed 1 December 2011

My sister preferred a western style bed, and that is not easy to find in Nara. Kasuga hotel has one western style bedroom on every floor, at a very reasonable price.
The location cannot be better : on one corner Kintetsu railway station and on the other one the park begins ...
The hotel has very nice public baths, even one outdoors, giving the illusion you are out in the mountains, when in fact the busy street is behind it : the small garden gives a perfect illusion of nature and the running water is effectively blocking any noise. Just perfect.
The western style breakfast was ample and looked very japanese to us. The staff took great care to offer different items every day (we stayed 3 nights) and were eager to provide us with enough black tea and lemon. Very much appreciated.
Apparently there are much bigger, and pricier, rooms where you can have the evening meal as well, but i found the western/japanese combination very attractive and very affordable.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank sinjoorAntwerp
Reviewed 17 July 2010

I stayed in this hotel in this spring.
My room has open-air bath ( about 40,000 yen one night for 2person), and when I used the bath in the night, some petals of cherry blossom flattered into the bath from somewhere( I couldn't find the tree ).
It was so romantic, and I could feel Japanese atmosphere so much.

Room:
It has one bedroom and one small living room.
Each room has a TV.
Very clean and quiet.

Service:
Really nice.
When I check-in and moved to my room, the nakai (how should I explain? It's like waitress, page, or bellboy) made me green tea (powdered green tea) and served some sweets, and many kind of teas and coffee were prepared for free (drinks in refrigerator need charge).

Breakfast:
Japanese food, especially traditional Nara food like cha-gayu ( rice porridge with hoji-tya(roasted tea)).
If you don't like Japanese food, please ask staffs.
I saw they recommend foreigners another kind of breakfast.

Others:
This hotel have wide public bath and open-air bath also.
If you don't want to use the bathes with other people, try in the early morning.
There were few people when I used.

Location:
Very nice.
About 10 minutes walk to Nara Park and a few minutes walk to Kintetsu-Nara Station from this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple