“Worth the long wait”

Dining options: Reservations
California, US
“Worth the long wait”
Reviewed 5 December 2012

On our way to see Daibutsu (giant Buddha) in Nara we passed this tiny, adorable restaurant with a line waiting to get in. My friend (native Japanese) said she had wanted to take me there for lunch because its reputation is so good. We inquired how long the wait would be and when we heard the response, "One and a half hours" we decided to see Daibutsu first.
We returned a couple of hours later and were relieved to find the line gone, however there was still a line inside the restaurant. We waited another 45 minutes before we were seated, but I have to say this meal was well worth the long wait.
This was, hands down, the best meal I had during my 16-day trek around Japan. And I just want to add that I am a foodie and the food all over Japan was amazing. Shizuka, however, was extraordinary. They specialize in Kamameshi, an iron hot pot filled with rice and other items of your choosing. The flavors were subtle, yet wonderful, and obviously left a fabulous impression with me. The prices are extremely reasonable as well.
When I return to Nara in the future, this will be my first stop. I can't wait!

• Visited November 2012