“My favorite place in Nara (so far...)”
Review of Gango-ji Temple

Gango-ji Temple
Ranked #15 of 186 things to do in Nara
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Kyoto, Japan
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“My favorite place in Nara (so far...)”
Reviewed 2 July 2010

Many of Nara's attractions are impressive, and historic, but not all of them offer the sightseer such an enjoyable experience. I arrived hot and tired from other sightseeing on a sweltering summer day, and was instantly charmed and soothed by this beautiful temple. I walked barefoot on the tatami around the cool main hall, then sat on the wooden balcony gazing at the lovely garden full of ancient statues lost among black-eyed susan and blue bellflowers. Feeling refreshed I wandered the garden paths to find hidden treasures and picturesque views. Then I left reluctantly, taking many photographs and an unforgettable impression of Gango-ji. It satisfied my longing for that peculiarly Japanese sense of beauty - so natural, simple, and unpretentious that it's spiritual. So take your camera and prepare to be charmed!

• Chinese (Traditional) first