“Great experience”

Doudou
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My girlfriend and me had dinner at Doudou and had a great time. The food was very well prepared and very authentic (at least it seemed so to our Western eyes ;-) ). Since the restaurant is very small we were able to talk to other travellers and also to the cook. It was amazing getting to know her and understand better Japanese culture - she speaks very good English and has been to the US, so understanding each other is no problem! She prepares all dishes using only natural ingredients and according to traditional japanese customs. We were also able to try different kinds of sake and then choose the one we liked most.

We highly recommend Doudou not only for the food but also for the great conversation and getting to know the cook and other travellers!

3  Thank Sebastian K

Reviewed 12 June 2014

I'm only sorry it has taken me so long to get round to writing this review - we visited Doudou at the start of May, we haven't stopped talking about it. When people ask us about our holiday to Japan, we always end up telling them about this restaurant.
The food is fantastic, and it's not particularly expensive as some reviewers have suggested, and we ended up having pretty much every dish on the menu!
I'm a real foodie and I absolutely loved the experience of watching every dish being cooked, I had lots of questions and it was great to be able to ask Satoko as she was cooking, I learnt an awful lot and have been recreating some of the dishes at home.
This restaurant is an absolute must, we had such an enjoyable evening meeting other tourists and locals alike, I cannot recommend highly enough.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

We stumbled across this cute restaurant in Nara and it turned out to be a great evening. The owner is very sweet and speaks great English. We met one of her regular customers and two young Japanese guys who were keen to chat to us. The portions are not very big so we ordered multiple plates but everything was delicious and she cooks everything in front of you as the restaurant is pretty compact. Would highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

We had a great evening at Doudou together with Satoko and some of her regular customers. The intimate and informal setting was a nice contrast to many of our other restaurant visits in Japan. The food was very tasty, but the portions were fairly small, about the size of tapas dishes.

We also liked the concept of using natural, seasonal ingredients - this was the main reason we visited Doudou in the first place.

1  Thank Alexander S
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Very sweet chef provides a handwritten in Jpz/English menu based off ingredients she has purchased for the day (fish, potatoes, beef, pork, etc). Known for her chicken, but also made a great shrimp asparagus. 7 seat restaurant, with other nice patrons.

1  Thank Alex P