“Great food and very nice atmosphere in this tiny restaurant”
Review of Doudou - CLOSED

Doudou
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This is probably the smallest restaurant I have every been too. There were seven of us sitting around a sort of a bar and our host was cooking for us in the middle. The atmosphere was very friendly and we talked with the chef as well as with other guests. For us it was a unique chance to have more interaction with Japanese people on our two-week trip. The chef speaks good English so she can explain about the food and is happy to talk about all sorts of topics. But there were also locals, so it didn't feel like a touristy place. The food was delicious, small dishes, interesting combinations, fresh and healthy. Sake tasting was also great. Highly recommend it!

3  Thank alice s

Reviewed 23 June 2014

The memorable part of this dining experience is the fact that the owner/cook is a very friendly, English speaking lady who has left her career as a sales lady in Tokyo to pursue her love of cooking fresh food in a quaint setting. The 'restaurant' seats 8, and the food was delicious, albeit quite small portions. Cost average, but you'll feel happy to pay it given the setting/experience. Probably not a great option for small children, as the menu is, obviously, quite limited to the days fare that she has chosen. All in all, a very satisfying experience, and different from any other we had in Japan.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

My girlfriend and me had dinner at Doudou and had a great time. The food was very well prepared and very authentic (at least it seemed so to our Western eyes ;-) ). Since the restaurant is very small we were able to talk to other travellers and also to the cook. It was amazing getting to know her and understand better Japanese culture - she speaks very good English and has been to the US, so understanding each other is no problem! She prepares all dishes using only natural ingredients and according to traditional japanese customs. We were also able to try different kinds of sake and then choose the one we liked most.

We highly recommend Doudou not only for the food but also for the great conversation and getting to know the cook and other travellers!

3  Thank Sebastian K
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I'm only sorry it has taken me so long to get round to writing this review - we visited Doudou at the start of May, we haven't stopped talking about it. When people ask us about our holiday to Japan, we always end up telling them about this restaurant.
The food is fantastic, and it's not particularly expensive as some reviewers have suggested, and we ended up having pretty much every dish on the menu!
I'm a real foodie and I absolutely loved the experience of watching every dish being cooked, I had lots of questions and it was great to be able to ask Satoko as she was cooking, I learnt an awful lot and have been recreating some of the dishes at home.
This restaurant is an absolute must, we had such an enjoyable evening meeting other tourists and locals alike, I cannot recommend highly enough.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

We stumbled across this cute restaurant in Nara and it turned out to be a great evening. The owner is very sweet and speaks great English. We met one of her regular customers and two young Japanese guys who were keen to chat to us. The portions are not very big so we ordered multiple plates but everything was delicious and she cooks everything in front of you as the restaurant is pretty compact. Would highly recommend this restaurant.