“The standard has dropped. Forget about Ichiran”
Review of Ichiran Tenjin

Ichiran Tenjin
Ranked #90 of 10,343 Restaurants in Fukuoka
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
europe
“The standard has dropped. Forget about Ichiran”
Reviewed 26 December 2010

I had been a huge fan of Ichiran for many years. Made numerous trips to Tokyo, Osaka and Fukuoka and also longed for Ichiran Ramen.

However, during my last stay at Fukkuoka. I was SOOOOOO disappointed. On my first day at Tenjin, I noticed a queue for Ichiran(It was a Sun) and decided to have it the next day. I was literally salivating when I was queueing up, remembering how it used to taste etc.

When the bowl of Ramen was set in front of me, it even looked nothing like what I have been having previously. The soup colour was so dark. The taste was totally off. Nothing like what I have had for so many years. It was extremely salty and I think they added the whole bottle of MSG. I opted for the lightest one already and could not imagine my poor husband who probably ordered med strength(you can choose the strength of the soup), next door. I raved so much about Ichiran Ramen to him till I felt embarassed , now that it really taste terrible. I could not even bring myself to finish that bowl. On normal trips, I would have either 2 bowls or plenty of additional noodles and finish the whole soup.

We left the place, totally disappointed and went elsewhere for lunch. The feeling of thirst(because of MSG) lasted till 3-4pm in the night, with us waking up to drink loads of water.

Not willing to admit nor believe that Irchiran's standard has indeed dropped or changed in Fuk, I suggested to go to the outlet at Canal City. We hopped on to a cab and my husband, remembering his last bowl, refused to even try, so he decided to sit there and wait for me while I had mine. IT WAS THE SAME... bad. I almost cried cos the only few motivations to go Japan, for me, was to have Ichiran Ramen.

That wll probably be my last bowl of Ichiran for the next ten years. Till I forget the taste and the aftertaste.

The food is Japan in general is really great. I just do not know why the food in FUK is either extremely sweet, or salty. Never even bother to try any ltalian food in Japan. They adapted the taste to something unrecognisable.

Try Mont Blanc cafe beside Ichiran(Tenjin) A lovely small cafe with really nice and not too sweet cheesecake.

2 Thank happybutnotsosolucky

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Oslo
“Amusing and delicious”
Reviewed 10 December 2010

Usually, food is good or bad, but it rarely is amusing. At Ichiran, it is. The whole process - ordering in a machine, filling a "questionnare" where you have to choose (by ticking it off) how firm you want your ramen to be, how much garlic, chilli and spring onion you want etc, and sitting in tiny cubicles - is a funny experience. In addition, the ramen is simply delicious! Make sure you tick off for the special vinegar to be added - it gives the ramen this extra something. The chilli sauce is quite spicy, so be careful not to overdo.

Lewes, United Kingdom
“Amusing experience but by no means the best ramen in town”
Reviewed 3 November 2009

We went for a quick lunch. Mostly because we were intrigued by the concept. This is that you eat alone facing a curtain and the staff in an individual booth. You 'buy' your meal from a machine at the entrance (like most cheap and cheerful ramen places) but you then fill out a form (there is an English language version, too) to specify exactly how you wish your bowl of noodles and goodies to be served, such as selecting how much garlic, special seasoning and fat content of the meat and stock strength you desire. Sadly, for a standard bowl of ramen, this was relatively expensive, the soup wasn't hot and the portion quite small. However, it was a much more approachable and undertandable place to go for ramen, if this is your first experience of a basic ramen place in Japan.

2 Thank SussexWorldtraveller
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“if you wanna eat quietly...”
Reviewed 5 September 2009

if you wanna eat quietly alone without seeing anyone's face, this place is ideal.
there are many branches.