“Wonderful Experience”
Review of Zen Oyado Nishitei

Zen Oyado Nishitei
Ranked #27 of 188 Hotels / Ryokan in Fukuoka
Reviewed 16 December 2013

This is really a fantastic establishment. Actually, staying at thin inn has to count among the more remarkable and moving experiences of my life: the incredible warmth and dedication of the owner, Seiko-San and her staff has to be experienced to be believed. Moreover, the inn is very reasonably priced, especially considering that the level of service must match that of a five star hotel, and the warmth of the staff is not something money can buy.

I visited Fukuoka for a week, invited by colleagues at a nearby university who recommended the inn to me and booked the room. While I have always wanted to try a ryokan, I was a little worried about how easy it would be to work in a traditional room as I had to prepare some talks. Also, I was a little worried that I was rather inexperienced regarding proper etiquette, as this was only my second trip to Japan and my first stay in a ryokan. Neither of these concerns turned out to be a problem: the wireless internet worked very well (I found it very comfortable to use my laptop in the room). Also, the staff did an excellent job at explaining correct procedure and customs: they are very experienced with foreign guests. They also speak excellent English.

What other reviewers have said is completely true: the inn is beautiful and kept extremely clean. The traditional Japanese breakfast cooked by the owner, Seiko-San, has to count among the more remarkable meals I have eaten, including rice, grilled fish, three beautifully prepared keiseki style vegetables, miso soup and pickles for only 1000 yen (around 10-12 $). I ate breakfast at the inn each day and I don't believe that a single dish was repeated! The French-Japanese dinner was also very good (I live in Montreal so I know French food. . .)

In any event, I would recommend this inn to all visitors to Fukuoka who are interested in a Ryokan-experience. I hope that someday I will have occasion to return.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Walter R
膳・お宿西亭, staff at Zen Oyado Nishitei, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Thank you for staying with us for a week and we really appreciate your great comment.
We are worried about the noise from our restaurant while you were exhausted. But we are happy when you talked about your dinner and city experience. We did not do that much but your small gifts and your comment really made our day. Seiko (owner) regrets that she could not say bye to you outside. We all hope to see you some day again.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

We really loved our stay at Zen Oyado Nishi-tei. The ryokan is immaculate and beautifully presented, the staff were very friendly and attentive, the breakfast was delicious and the futons were incredibly comfortable!

Room Tip: We stayed in Mizuhikisou which is the biggest room - actually two rooms and a lovely little balcony...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
膳・お宿西亭, staff at Zen Oyado Nishitei, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Thank you for staying with us and such a the great comment. We are all really happy that your family liked our place.
Are your cute princesses fine now? We were a bit worried since it was cold here. Please take care and Thank you again.

Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

Leave a comment I just was very enjoyable stay and husband.

simply first, I choose to look at the recommended comment TripAdvisor and hotel pictures.

We also have to enjoy the great happiness in the same way as us such a person.

First, I caught our eyes to the interior clean and simple.
It was very good to taste the traditional sense of Japan
Therefore, it was not big enough to take about the inconvenience of the wash basin outside and shared bathrooms.
The deep particularly impressed It was dinner time.
Japanese chef (who was in France for several years) served dinner was so delicious and impressive Everything.

You see that the food taste like this in this price great pleasure .
The next morning breakfast was warm and so delicious too.

In addition, The owner's (Mrs. Seiko)Smile and kind consideration was very thankful the last moment.

And Thank you very kind staff Miyuki, also Ayumi.

If I go to Fukuoka, I would like to stay here and also.

It will keep 'Zen oyado NiSitei' introduce a lot of the friends of Korea.

Thank you for leaving me good memories.

"めっちゃ 幸せでした"

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Minibbo
膳・お宿西亭, staff at Zen Oyado Nishitei, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Thank you for staying with us and giving us such a great comment. We all red your comment (including all 3 you mentioned) and it reminds us your stay and Japanese. We hope to see you someday again, soon. ありがとうございました。またお会いできますように。

Reviewed 20 November 2013

I spent two nights at this ryokan in November 2013 and the experience was great. The staff is very attentive and spoke excellent english. I booked a twin room which was very spacious, much more so than the other ryokan we stayed at in Tokyo. The shared bathroom facilities were spotless. It was very easy to make reservations to use the tub, which was cleaned after every use. If you stay at Zen Oyado Nishit-ei do yourself a favor and have the breakfast and a dinner as well. The breakfast is one of the best we had on the trip and a bargain. The dinner was out of this world perfection.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you very much for staying with us. And we appreciate for your great comment. It is really too much, but we are so happy to know that you enjoyed. The fact you still remember us after Disneyland and Disney sea and Sumo made us so happy. Thank you again.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

The main thing that comes to mind about this ryokan was the great service. Of the 14 other hotels, ryokan and minshuku that I've stayed at across Kyushu and Honshu (admittedly these haven't included the most expensive sort of places), I think nowhere else has matched Zen Oyado Nishi-tei in terms of the attention to detail that the owner and her staff must spend in making their guests' stay enjoyable. It was also the most comfortable sleep on a futon in a tatami room that I've yet experienced.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
膳・お宿西亭, staff at Zen Oyado Nishitei, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Thank you very much for staying with us.
We are really happy to hear that you liked our rokan that much.
It was really nice to have hosted you. I remember how surprise I was when you speak Japanese!!
Thank you for everything and we hope to see you someday again.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

My friend and I spent two nights in this Ryokan at the end of September and had a delightful stay.
The service was fantastic and the setting, beautiful!

We had dinner and the experience itself was perfection. The food sublime and a wine list which would not be out of place in a top London restaurant.

The hostess herself was a real joy, going out of her way to make us feel welcome and showing us about and no request to her team was too great.

My friend and i spent over two weeks in Japan and this place is by far our favourite and we stayed in a couple of 5 star international hotels in Tokyo!!

We cannot wait to return to here!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
膳・お宿西亭, staff at Zen Oyado Nishitei, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2013

Thank you for enjoying your stay and dinner at Nishitei. Our business is small, including room and the numbers of staff. However, your comment really make us happy. We try to improve our service. I guess its getting cold in your city, take care. And we also cannot wait to see you again.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

This was my first stay at a ryokan and it has been a great experience. The hostess speaks English which makes it all a lot easier. I recommend to have diner here as well. The private dinerroom and the amazing chef will make this an unforgettable experience.

• Stayed: September 2013
膳・お宿西亭, staff at Zen Oyado Nishitei, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Thank you very much for staying with us and writing here. Yet, our English is not that good to help you enough, we are all really happy to hear that you liked it. Thank you again and hope to see you again, someday.