“A wonderful retreat in a great city.”
Review of Zen Oyado Nishitei

Zen Oyado Nishitei
Ranked #34 of 187 Hotels / Ryokan in Fukuoka
Hong Kong, null, Hong Kong
“A wonderful retreat in a great city.”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed here for two nights this past May. An intimate and tranquil Japanese garden sits just outside the entrance to the ryokan, which is conveniently located near Hakata station and accessible by bus or taxi. The ryokan itself is efficiently run by a warm and hospitable staff that provided us with plenty of restaurant recommendations and directions. Given that it was Golden Week, we were worried that it would be exceptionally busy and privacy would be an issue, but it miraculously felt like we were the only people staying there. There were a number of bathrooms to choose from and the shower was very clean with excellent water pressure (we didn't make use of the Japanese style bath during our visit so can't comment on that). Our room was cosy and peaceful, and the tatamis which were laid out each night were quite comfortable; we slept wonderfully. We ordered the deluxe breakfast option and woke early to enjoy a fantastic meal in a private dining room with a great view of the sun-lit garden outside. Compared to other hotels that we stayed at during our trip, we much preferred the ryokan experience and will definitely look to stay here on our next visit.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Debbie S
膳・お宿西亭, オーナー at Zen Oyado Nishitei, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for staying with us and such a great comment.
We will do our best to meet your expectation.
We will be happy to have you here when the next time you come to Japan.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014

My sister and I stayed for one night at the smaller Room Aogiri.

Booking -- we made the booking through email very effortlessly as they were very responsive.

Location -- we took the cab from Tenjin bus station and he got a bit lost so decided to stop around the area. However with a little help from Google Map we finally managed to find it. I would really suggest having a map with you if your phone is not roaming, or get their phone number at the very least so that the cab driver would be able to call the ryokan. I wouldn't recommend trying the bus if you are with heavy luggages and a foreigner with no Japanese language skill, as you may get lost in the streets.

Check In -- the ryokan owners/staffs were very, very welcoming. As we arrived early in the morning and the room was not ready, they took our luggage in and explained to us the local area map and how to get to the bus stop to Tenjin and even gave us advices on how to save up on the bus fares.

Ryokan -- I could go on forever about how I love the interior of the ryokan, although both interior and exterior were very beautifully designed and decorated. I love how they combine the traditional Japanese decoration with the extraordinary cleanliness - it seemed that everything was polished and detailed. We arrived during the sakura season and their little zen garden looked very beautiful. Every little tiny detail of the ryokan was very beautiful to me and I felt very comfortable.

Room -- our Aogiri room was small as we expected as they have given us a notice that it may be too small for two people. Upon our arrival we received a notice on our table that they have kept fresh fruits in our fridge which was lovely! There was no ensuite room at all but there were enough toilets and bathrooms (one shower and one Japanese style bath). The staffs cleaned up the bathrooms or the bath every time someone used it so it felt very clean (side note: I wouldn't even call it a bathtub, it looked like a jacuzzi)! I found the bathroom, bath, and toilets to be very clean, very beautiful, and very comfortable even for travelers who are used to having ensuite rooms!

The futon beds were warm and nice and there was an air conditioning system in the room. There were yukatas provided too.

Staffs -- outstanding, very friendly and there was nothing too much for them. We had to leave early in the morning for the airport and they helped to book us a cab and prepared the warm bath for my sister in the morning.

I will definitely come back again for the wonderful experience.

Room Tip: The Aogiri room may be too small for two people. We were two mid sized frame girls and still found i...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Marvelenah
膳・お宿西亭, オーナー at Zen Oyado Nishitei, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Thank you for your staying with us and such a delightful comment.
We always hope that all guests can stay comfortably at Nishitei. So, your comment made us completely happy.
When you come back to Fukuoka, please stay at Nishitei again.We are really looking forward to welcoming you.
We appreciate your great comment sincerely.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014

This hotel was without a doubt the highlight of my trip. Everybody makes you feel so welcome I really found it difficult to leave.They don’t laugh but encourage your feeble attempts to speak Japanese. The food was absolutely fantastic, I had dinner once and breakfast every morning, a fantastic experience that I would recommend anyone to try. The food was different and delicious every morning, I didn’t find a better breakfast in any of the hotels I stayed in, well worth it. My room was extremely quiet and I slept like a log every night. I got in the habit of having a bath, in the public bath, every evening and I really missed it when I left, it was very relaxing after a long day walking around. Little touches, like the fruit in my room every night made my stay even better. All in all, there is no other hotel I would rather stay if I ever go back to Fukuoka, no scrub that, when I go back to Fukuoka.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
膳・お宿西亭, オーナー at Zen Oyado Nishitei, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for your staying with us and we really appreciate your great comment .
We are so glad that you enjoyed our breakfast and dinner.Your comment encouraged me to offer more delicious breakfast and dinner.
I enjoyed talking with you during you were having breakfast every morning,too.
When you come back to Fukuoka,please stay at Nishitei again.We are looking forward to welcoming you.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I spent a total of 5 nights at Nishi-tei and it was a real treat. My room, Matsushita, was clean, comfortable, and spacious enough for me. The helpfulness and hospitality of the staff was also something I appreciated! I didn't find the common amenities (shower/bath) an issue at all. Once you find your bearings, you'll discover that although the inn is nestled in a quiet street, it is actually at a convenient location, about 10 minutes to the nearest subway station and 20 minutes to Canal City. You can take several city buses from a nearby bus stop (10 minutes away) to Hakata Station. There's also a direct bus (A) to Fukuoka Airport's international terminal, from a bus stop 10 minutes away. The breakfasts are simply wonderful and I looked forward to them! I also enjoyed their set dinner twice - French-Japanese fusion. A real treat!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank wendyfoo
膳・お宿西亭, オーナー at Zen Oyado Nishitei, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for your staying with us for a total of 5 days and we really appreciate your great comment.
We are really glad that you enjoyed staying at Matsurika room and having breakfast and dinner.
We enjoyed listening to your story,too. Your comment makes me very happy.
We remember that you like Japanese food so much except raw fish.
We are looking forward to welcoming you at Nishitei again.
Beijing, China
Reviewed 12 February 2014

The inn isn't particularly easy to find, since that part of town doesn't have any street names it seems (only block names). We arrived at night, and the taxi driver was a bit confused, but after he called the owners, we eventually got there. Do take some time to plan your arrival to avoid making our mistake.

Because of a change of travel plans, we had to book the smallest room there, called "Aogiri." It was very comfy and carefully decorated, but after the futons were spread out, it felt a little bit cluttered. The other rooms do look much larger though. In the winter, the paper-made windows can feel a little thin, so it's necessary to leave the air-con on all the time.

The owner was very welcoming and attended to our every need very attentively. We enjoyed a particularly tasty Japanese-style breakfast in the morning.

The inn itself is beautifully refurbished, and provides a great taste of traditional Japanese architecture — even though that means sharing bathrooms and programming one's shower time, which wasn't much of a bother.

Great atmosphere.

Room Tip: For 2 travellers, the Aogiri room may feel slightly cramped once the beds are spread out. But well...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
膳・お宿西亭, staff at Zen Oyado Nishitei, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Thank you for your feedback.
It is certain that Japanese city is bit hard to walk around to find the place from the address.
And we are sorry about the small room.
Yet, we are happy if you enjoyed staying with us.
Thank you again for staying with us.
Hong Kong
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Nishi-tei Ryokan is an experience unto itself and perhaps the top reason to go to Fukuoka. I recently recommended it to my mother and sister and they are currently having such a good time that I realized my review is long overdue!

I traveled solo in September 2013 and stayed at Nishi-tei for one week—was feeling exhausted after working non-stop for months and needed a holiday. I read about Nishi-tei on TripAdvisor and decided to book; the accommodations looked lovely and the price point was fantastic. The ryokan is situated close enough (a 10-min bus ride or 20-min walk) to the main transport node, Tenjin, but tucked away in the suburbs so noise isn't an issue.

I wandered around the city during the day and the ryokan was a pleasure to come back to in the evening. A soak in the onsen bath (which you must, must do at the end of a long day!), the futon made, a bowl of fruit waiting in the fridge—I'd fall asleep smiling because I was so looking forward to breakfast the next day. As other guests have written, the breakfast is truly glorious—a healthy and savory spread that will leave you with enough energy fit for true adventuring and sightseeing!

With such good food, clean and well-thought out design, and the staff's genuine and sincere hospitality, staying at Nishi-tei left me feeling healthier and more nourished than I had in months. Thank you Seiko-san and staff for such a wonderful experience, I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Aogiri is the smallest room, which I stayed in. It's roomy enough for one and cozy for two.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank The_Real_CChen
膳・お宿西亭, staff at Zen Oyado Nishitei, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Thank you for your great comment. Your comment and the fact you recommended us to your lovely family made us so happy. Even though you stayed with us last September, we do remember you and hope to see you soon. Thank you for everything!! Best wishes,
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 16 December 2013

This is really a fantastic establishment. Actually, staying at thin inn has to count among the more remarkable and moving experiences of my life: the incredible warmth and dedication of the owner, Seiko-San and her staff has to be experienced to be believed. Moreover, the inn is very reasonably priced, especially considering that the level of service must match that of a five star hotel, and the warmth of the staff is not something money can buy.

I visited Fukuoka for a week, invited by colleagues at a nearby university who recommended the inn to me and booked the room. While I have always wanted to try a ryokan, I was a little worried about how easy it would be to work in a traditional room as I had to prepare some talks. Also, I was a little worried that I was rather inexperienced regarding proper etiquette, as this was only my second trip to Japan and my first stay in a ryokan. Neither of these concerns turned out to be a problem: the wireless internet worked very well (I found it very comfortable to use my laptop in the room). Also, the staff did an excellent job at explaining correct procedure and customs: they are very experienced with foreign guests. They also speak excellent English.

What other reviewers have said is completely true: the inn is beautiful and kept extremely clean. The traditional Japanese breakfast cooked by the owner, Seiko-San, has to count among the more remarkable meals I have eaten, including rice, grilled fish, three beautifully prepared keiseki style vegetables, miso soup and pickles for only 1000 yen (around 10-12 $). I ate breakfast at the inn each day and I don't believe that a single dish was repeated! The French-Japanese dinner was also very good (I live in Montreal so I know French food. . .)

In any event, I would recommend this inn to all visitors to Fukuoka who are interested in a Ryokan-experience. I hope that someday I will have occasion to return.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Walter R
膳・お宿西亭, staff at Zen Oyado Nishitei, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Thank you for staying with us for a week and we really appreciate your great comment.
We are worried about the noise from our restaurant while you were exhausted. But we are happy when you talked about your dinner and city experience. We did not do that much but your small gifts and your comment really made our day. Seiko (owner) regrets that she could not say bye to you outside. We all hope to see you some day again.