“Went for the Studio Ghibli exhibition”
Review of Fukuoka Art Museum

Fukuoka Art Museum
Ranked #34 of 330 things to do in Fukuoka
More attraction details
Owner description: Due to the renovation work, the Fukuoka Art Museum is closed from September 1, 2016 to March 2019.
Shanghai, China
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Went for the Studio Ghibli exhibition”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I went for the Studio Ghibli exhibition (I believe it is on till Jan 2014), where many of the original drawings were displayed. I am a fan of their works, so it was a fruitful trip for me (despite the audio guides being in Japanese). The place is accessible via subway, so there was not any problem finding the place.

But unless there is something you want to catch on display here, it is really a very ordinary museum.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank porcaq

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Montreal, Canada
99 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 426 helpful votes
“Fukuoka deserve a nicer Art Museum !”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Visited last June the Fukuoka Art Museum, on my personal opinion, I was overall dissappointed. Honestly, I was expecting a bigger and more modern museum for the size of the city of Fukuoka. Did I visit too much nice museums WorldWide ? Anyway, the building itself looks from the '60/'70 style brown bricks, the collection was ok, few nice paintings, for me I felt I was visiting a museum from a city of 500 000 people. I think Fukuoka deserve a new building to host the Art Museum + more arts collections. Now, go visit and write back here your personal opinion after visiting.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank JulienF
Jakarta, Indonesia
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Fukuoka Art Museum”
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Unlucky, I am coming to this site is in New Year Day so the museum is close for public, any how we just have to see some from out side.
This museum is located not far from Ohori park and Fukuoka castle remains.

Visited January 2013
2 Thank ong_giri
New York City, New York
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Small interesting collection”
Reviewed 29 May 2013

The Museum has permanent collections of Asian and modern art. Set in a striking yet somewhat tired building, the Museum is worth a visit. If you like modern art, you will be very pleased to discover works by Japanese artists not easily found outside Japan, alongside more widely known Western artists like Rothko, Warhol, Lichenstein, Brancusi, Chaggal, Miro and Dali. I missed seeing Dali's "The Madonna of Port Lligat” which was on loan to the Mori Art Museum in Tokyo until September 1, 2013.

In addition to the permanent collections there are temporary and special exhibitions for which you can get advance notice from the museum website.

Less well publicized are the public galleries which feature local artists and groups. When I visited there were separate displays of photographs, masks and stained glass.

Be sure to stroll outside the building to view the large outdoor sculptures!

Visited May 2013
3 Thank OZinNY
Kathmandu, Nepal
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Good experience”
Reviewed 1 May 2013

My first intention to be in this museum was to see the artworks on permanent display. One of them was the masterpiece by my friend - Ujay Bajracharya. My unlucky day, I had gone there alone and could not see the art piece. But I felt good being in the museum. Its a great place to be in Fukuoka.

Visited June 2012