“Terrific sushi in a beautiful room”
Review of Yamanaka Honten

Yamanaka Honten
Ranked #232 of 10,361 Restaurants in Fukuoka
Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Chicago Illinois
“Terrific sushi in a beautiful room”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Yamanaka was a highlight of our five days in Fukuoka. Modern, elegant, colorful but still very peacefully Japanese room, large for a sushi restaurant, with about five makers. Our mackerel sashimi was fabulously delicious, followed by great tuna and shrimp and some more daring items. A wonderful chef behind the counter at our end. Friendly and hospitable.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank Kyotocat

• Korean first
Pleasanton, California
“hard to believe this is No1. in Fukuoka as of Nov1,2013”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

WE went this place at Oct 30,2013 with great expectation and the reservation made via hotel.
THREE issues:
1. Clearly communicate with what you order (we ,2 persons, ordered 2 kinds of dishes and attempted to delivered 2*2kinds of dishes)
2. Strange price policy (price seemed to varies on server’s decision)
3. Receipt (originally showed total mount at post it without no receipt)

We do not speak any japanese but they have menu for English and available the one server speak English as well.
1. We ordered 1 for sushi (about 7000 Yen) and 1 sashimi (5000 Yen) with english server confirmation. Later, additional dishes came out (3rd dish), so we asked to clarification for whether we ordered Two kinds (Sushi/Sashmi) or other. Then, the coming unforeseen Fouth dish was cancelled and the coming third one end up with leftover to the end (Not possible to cancel based on server’s). The english speaking server mentioned she made a mistake and cancelled coming fourth dish at the table.
2. See the receipts (they charged us 5000*2 and 6000*2 (7000 sushi changed into 6000 based on server’s explanation since the fourth one was cancelled and reduced price)
3. Receipt on the post it (first time to see this kind s of receipt in Japan) At the payment, we asked for bill but nothing came out, so we went to cashier to pay. The english speaking server waited at the cahier and showed me the amount at small "post it " with 25,305 Yen (about 250 USD). See the picture of receipt after long period of consideration from her and glad we had it.

Frustration:
1. The server made a wrong order but we paid, but English server was the only person to negotiate at this stage.
2. OK, We ate 3 dishes whatever it mistake or misunderstanding, but they asked me pay 4 dished(the English server mentioned she made a discount from 7000 to 6000 Yen since the fourth dish was cancelled)
3. Next day, I asked the person helped reservation to call them to figure out, they mentioned that we ordered 4 dishes and gave us benefits of reduced price from 7000 to 6000 (not accepatble explanation, 2 persons ordered 4 kinds of dishes at quality oriented places and same two kinds style even variety, and server mentioned she mentined that she sorry for miscommunication).
4. The original receipts the server brought was “YELLOW POST IT”,
I am very suspicious that this is the No.1. Restaurant in Fukuoka or are you agree with facts showed.

• Visited October 2013
5 Thank Chang R
Bangkok
“What an unforgettable sushi experience”
Reviewed 21 May 2013

There is not much you can say about Yamanaka Honten except that it is without doubt the finest sushi and sushi service I have ever experienced. Everything here is of the highest quality to the point of being sublime. It is like you are not sitting down to a meal but you are appreciating an art masterpiece.

The decor is gentle and artistic, with lovely lighting accenting flowers and paintings. Our group had a private dining room which was large and comfortable.

The food here is beyond compare. The sushi and sashimi dishes were all very fresh and tasted fabulous. Each dish was beautifully decorated to the point we were hesitant to eat them.

The service was truly charming, with extremely polite staff shuffling in and out of the room constantly. Every single request was catered to promptly.

The restaurant's location is rather secretive, with obscured signage. I think it adds to the mystery of the place. I would definitely go again the next time I am in Fukuoka.

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank Chattan_k
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“the best sushi i've tried in japan.”
Reviewed 15 May 2013 via mobile

when i visit fukuoka, i try sushi here. i love their unagi(japanese eel) sushi and tamago(egg) sushi. don't miss lemon sorbet and green-tea icecream for dessert. :-)

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank speedyminsu
Fukuoka, Japan
“Great sushi restaurant”
Reviewed 29 December 2012

I've eaten lots and lots of sushis since I arrived in Fukuoka last June, and so far Yamanaka Honten has been hands-down the best here. We (me & my boyfriend) ordered only sushis, so I can't really talk about other dishes, but this is the place to go when one wants to explore more inspiring aspects of sushi.

Their sushis just melt in my mouth, defying any disturbing sensation, and yet leaving wonderfully abundant flavors. My two favorites of the day was squid sushi (which had a surprising but delightful touch of citron) and ikura-uni don (so fresh and delicate). The sushi course was finished with a plate of icecream/sherbet, composed of three flavors, which felt natural and healthy.

Servicewise, the servers were very attentive and responsive. I spoke in Japanese, but it seemed that they could speak at least basic English (some of them tried to speak to us in English, so I know). The interior was simple and modern. We were seated at a table but the stylish counter seats looked ideal for a date.

We paid around 7,000yen altogether, including two draft beers. I am determined to come back here within a few months, and willing to try other courses with higher prices.

It is not easy to locate this restaurant, especially if you do not read Japanese. I remember seeing only the Japanese sign "やま中", which was not very visible due to its toned-down, simple black&white display.

• Visited December 2012