“A little different but good different”

Hakata Gofukumachi Hostel Takataniya
“A little different but good different”
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

I screw up my reservation booking in Hana hostel and needed a place to stay in Fukuoka.
First with map in hand it took me a long while to find this Hostel.
You must remember to look for
Zendoji Temple which noticed on the Fukuoka tourist map every hotel and hostel use.
Amazingly resident around the Zendoji don't know what temple it is!
I use my gps to ride my bike to the temple area, ask multiple time from different residents(some live one street from the Temple) no one know and was sent to other side of town even they was showing the map. I had learn from this experience that most Japanese don't know how to read a map they don' t know map alway printed North up and most of them will try to keep rotate the map to located where we are. They don't recognize where they live on the map.
I pass by the Hostel couple of time and miss it because there is not a sign clearly shown "Hostel".
An kind men saw me kept riding a round came out his work place and ask me what I am looking for.
I gave him the name of the Hostel and he walk me 50 meter right to it.
He told me he had help another person who was also totally lost looking for the same Hostel which is just steps away.
Check in time for this place is straightly at 3pm even on its web said it can be flexible.
I was there 11:30pm after paying and register he gave me a code which will allow me to enter the front door of the hostel.
At 2:30 I try and it won't let me in!
The bed was set up like a enclosed box instead of beds, at first I was not quite use to it but at the end of my stay, I was convert and this this is the best set up for all dorm room hostel. It provided the most comfort and privacy a traveler need. The bed and pillo sheet provided was fresh and clean. The whole place is well taking care of even there are not much public space in the dorm room or the down stair common area. It seem the owner run this small hostel ( 24 beds at most) all by himself and have a great passion of his place and what he was doing.
This shown on the design of this very limited space and many clever arrangement to make this a comfortable & cosy Hostel.
The owner is very friendly, speak very good English and I can tell he love and had done many traveling himself.
All this added up for my reason to give this place a 5 stars.
I recommend this place for all solo traveler and family with teenagers.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Families
Business
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 18 August 2013

This was my first time in Japan and my first time in a hostel. This is a newer hostel that opened up June '13 and it was very clean. The location was perfect as it is located very close to the Gofukumachi subway station and is about a twenty minute walk away from Hakata station and Tenjian station. It is between two temples and the neighborhood is fairly quiet. There are two dorms, one for only women and a mixed dorm. Both dorms have locked doors, so it is fairly safe. Shampoo, conditioner, and soap is provided as well as breakfast, tea, and instant coffee. There is free wireless and a lounge room on the bottom floor. The owner is very kind and speaks very good English. I highly recommend it to anyone staying in Fukuoka.
Please note: they only take cash! Thank goodness for the atms at 7-eleven.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends