“Rent a bicycle and take the ferry over here”
Review of Nokonoshima Island

Nokonoshima Island
Ranked #9 of 343 things to do in Fukuoka
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in Hakata Bay, Nokonoshima Island is a delightful place for visitors to camp, swim or admire the island's colorful flowers.
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Very quiet little island with fruit stands and little traffic. I borrowed a bike from my hotel, and rode to the top of the hill. Highly recommend.

3  Thank Boeing767
There are newer reviews for Nokonoshima Island

Reviewed 16 April 2014

A short ferry ride from Fukuoka is this wonderful flower-covered island with fantastic views of the city. Island Park at the top of the hill has something for all the family - flowers, a playground, cute goats and rabbits, restaurants....You can get a bus from the ferry terminal to the park but I recommend walking up (it's just 2.2 km) with frequent stops to enjoy the view.

5  Thank Jackie W
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Nokonoshima Island is an easy day trip from Fukuoka and well worth it! You will feel like you've been transported to some movie set, beautiful fields of flowers, see Fukuoka from the other side of the water...a really peaceful but exhausting day! Highly recommended.

4  Thank SylvianFiz
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

I know this review is the first rated 'terrible' but that is exactly what we saw. We spent a full day here and walked the whole island clockwise and were pretty tired afterwards.

Postives: the gorgeous views of the coast, the flowers and the Orange trees were something special. (That's it!)

It seems that the island has undergone some rough times economically. We walked past multiple houses, sheds and homes on the eastern side which were either completely weathered or abandonded. I know it sounds dramatic but the 'Blair witch project' could of been filmed here ! The only way we got around the island is because I managed to find an old map of the island in a storm drain.

We eventually made our way around to "Nokono camp", it was an old surf camp / tourist accommodation zone on the coast. It was surrounded by Palm trees and built in a neat cove area. However, it was completely abandoned and looked as if there was either a mass killing there at one stage or a tsunami. (Yes I know it sounds very dramatic). Jet skis were left out in the open, all surf accommodation huts were barley standing and most rooms were open with the remnants of old surfboards, bar stools and beach gear a reminder of its more colourful past.

The further away from the dock we walked the more creepy the island got. I doubt anybody knew about this part of the island as all tourists usually just catch the bus and get taken to cute lookout with the flowers. Another bad point is the sheer amount of rubbish and pollution which can be viewed in the forests and beaches. It was very strange to think we were still in Japan. It honestly reminded me of the dodgy areas of Hanoi, Vietnam.

Anyway going to wrap this up. Overall the island is disappointing, full of 80 year old residents and most likely has something to hide. ( Yes you think I'm crazy but t hay ok. Just voicing my concern / opinion).

If you want more detailed information feel free to contact me.

10  Thank OceanGuide
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Just a ferry ride away, this island has flowers all year round. On the top of the hill is a place where you can buy yourself a nice juicy burger.....ooohhh yes...its really juicy. Great experience. If you're allergic toy pollen...not the place.
Nevertheless it was a great experience.

4  Thank dthong