Plaza Hotel Tenjin
US$291
US$186
JAPANiCAN.com
  • Restaurant
Hotel MyStays Fukuoka Tenjin(Fukuoka)(Great Value!)
US$73
US$164
US$119
JAPANiCAN.com
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

I came here solo for the weekend and it wasn't exactly the most comfortable stay. Check-in went well and the friendly staff was welcoming and decent in English. They had a helpful paper map of the hotel and immediate area. The hallways smelled a bit of smoke. When I got to my room I was quite shocked at how tiny it was - I've stayed in many Japanese business hotels and this was easily the smallest room that I've ever stayed at! The room was clean, but the massage chair thing (and its footrest) next to the small desk made the room seem even more pressed for space and inconvenient. As I am taller than most of the locals moving about was definitely a challenge at times. The tiny bathroom was a bit more tolerable. I did like that the room curtains could almost completely block out the outside light, which was helpful in sleeping in after an extended foray into Fukuoka's intense night life. Housekeeping was quite good as well. Wifi had some issues but got it to work after an effort. The television had no foreign channels. The location is a strength but was also a mixed bag - its close to the varied small boutiques and cafes of Daimyo surrounding the hotel, but its at least a 10 min walk to the nearest subway station (Akasaka to the northwest) or a longer walk east to the main shopping/eating areas of Tenjin. For nightlife its not too far from Oyafuko-dori to the north. Overall, despite a couple of pros, it was not a good value for what I paid, especially since its not that close to the more happening and convenient Tenjin areas. I will be staying elsewhere on my next trip to Fukuoka.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank GMK1954
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We stayed for 2 nights en route to Aso. The room is spacious for the 4 of us, and it's well-equipped. Walkable distance to shopping area, but situated in quiet neighbourhood. The only comment is that the breakfast does not offer enough variety, mostly Japanese style food. However, very friendly service, staff goes extra mile to come to our room and explain our questions, when over-the-phone conversation is not as easy due to the language barrier.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 October 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights whilst in Fukuoka. The location is excellent, walkable distance to the shopping area and many restaurants. For Japan, we found this hotel to be reasonably priced to be in such a handy location. The rooms were very clean, they were small but we found it to be cosy and all we needed when we were out exploring most of the day, the beds are comfy which is a big plus. The bathroom is great, good water pressure, nice smelling body wash, shampoos etc and it has other awesome ammenties. The cleaning ladies were so sweet and friendly and very polite. We found all the staff to be extremely friendly although most spoke little english. One of the receptionist pointed us in the direction of a Yakitori place just opposite the hotel, it was one of the best meals i've ever had. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Uncs_Aunts
Reviewed 22 September 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in September. The location is great, as it is in the heart of the downtown area. As expected in a Japanese hotel, I found the staff to be friendly and the room to be tiny but clean. To my pleasant surprise, however, the room was not quite as sterile as many Japanese hotel rooms; there were actually some accent colors and small upscale touches, such as a nice looking brown comforter on the bed (picture).

The hotel has laundry facilities, which was great for me because it was the third of five stops on my trip, so my clothes were ready for a refresh. I found the dryer I used to be quite slow, but was nonetheless grateful to be able to wash my clothes. The lobby is classy and a great place to relax and plan out the day. The staff speaks English well enough, though I didn't feel the need to ask them for much so I'm not sure of the extent of their language skills.

There are plenty of dining and shopping areas within walking distance. I ate at mostly Japanese restaurants, but did appreciate British Pub Morris, which is literally a block away. It has a better beer selection than most Japanese establishments and a good selection of pub food. Great place for a break from Japanese food.

I had no noise disturbances or any other issues. The hotel is about a 4 - 6 minute walk from the nearest station and may be slightly hard to find for those not familiar with navigating Japanese streets. Overall, my stay was very pleasant.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Brent A
Reviewed 27 December 2010

Whilst it's true about the hotels location being very good for the airport via subway and the shopping / restaurant streets, the complete downside is the minute size of the rooms and the urban noise. Too hot if the window closed, too noisy with the window open, kept on banging ones arm on the wall in bed and so too the neighbour.

Don't think the semi double will take two people it won't and don't plan on opening your luggage in the room either without re-arranging the furniture in front of the room door and putting it back afterwards. Think this hotel is OK for small people but not for westerners in coupledom. I can see if you were young and not sure whether you were going to make a pick up that night the semi - double places your bets both ways or if you were one of those oversized Americans.

Not a good experience at this hotel since one was due to fly out at the crack of dawn getting little sleep. I think it's an ebooker's con since the receptionist offered to upgrade for X yen, well why not offer a reasonable sized room in the first place than con people to book into baby rooms that are not fit for two.

Thumbs down on this hotel that was high on front desk entrance show, but low on delivering comfort in the room. The only thing that was going for it was the wired internet in the room and multi-channel HD TV but that's not going to make up for the unpleasant comfort of the room, noise from neighbours and outside of the hotel through the night.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple