“Old but still got it!”
Review of Hotel Shiroyama

Hotel Shiroyama
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Shiroyama Kanko for the big celebrations of the 50th anniversary of the local Lion's Club (which coincidentally is also the 50th birthday as this hotel!).

First the room. What can I say? For a Japanese hotel, it was wonderfully spacious and characteristically clean. Loved it. No cigarette smell at all, as some previous reviews mentioned, which is a stroke of luck on our part. Excellent lighting, great mirrors (girls doing make-up and all) and nice view.

Second (and most importantly) the hot spring. While the path to the wonderful hot springs was rather convoluted (elevator to fifth floor, down some halls, special onsen elevator to another floor, more turns through a gift shop), I understood why... I mean, it IS a swanky joint after all and walking around in a yukata is rather faux pas. I recommend picking non-peak hours when visiting the hot spring because there is a limited number of people who are allowed in at a time. It is for the quality of the enjoyment, they said. Even though the hotel is old, the hot spring changing area is very new and modern; one of the best that I have ever seen.

The last thing I want to talk about is the banquet hall! The word "exquisite" comes to mind and surprisingly, very wheelchair friendly! The chandelier and decor had me entranced but what really dropped my jaw was the metre-tall stage that sank flat into the ground for an older gentleman in a wheelchair to get on. From my previous experience, wheelchair access for a tall stage involved much manual lifting. Gotta love Japanese design!

Overall, my experience at the hotel left almost nothing more to be desired! The buffet was excellent, service was prompt, friendly and available in any language I cared to speak (English, Mandarin, Taiwanese and my mangled Japanese), and the surroundings tasteful!

A couple of things I might ask for improvement is clearer signage (because this hotel is HUGE with many wings and floors) and better placement of smoking areas as to not detract from the otherwise excellent experience of us non-smokers.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Valistra
Write a ReviewReviews (1,024)

Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

I stay there every time I go to Kagoshima city. The hotel located on the top of the hill where you can view the city, Sakurajima volcano and the beautiful sea. It's a bit difficult to get to there by foot from the main train station, but it costs less than 1,000JPY by taxi.

The hotel is the most traditional and luxury hotel in the city and you'll find many shops, restaurants there.

There are many types of room, and the photo I uploaded is that of standard room. Room was very clean and amenities were sufficient including pajama.

The hotel features two things, amazing view from the hot spring and breakfast. I really enjoyed volcano view from open-air hot spring of the hotel. It was so exciting experience. Regarding breakfast buffet, I enjoyed lots of local food including Sashimi of red snapper, one of the typical fish in Kagoshima.

There are many hotels in this city, and it's very easy to find more cheaper one. However I strongly recommend you this hotel if you want to enjoy amazing volcano view.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank RED-TOMATOS
Reviewed 17 August 2013

It was so nice to have there our own Chef , she cooked especially for us, and her meals were lovely ...
I have loved the Spa there , so large room , all in marble , with a nice water at 40° C... Then, as the doors were opened for going out, I could bathe in hot water from the Volcanoe, just in front of the Sakurajima!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Earwin
Reviewed 12 June 2013

This hotel sits on the highest hill in Kagoshima with a commanding view of Kagoshima bay and Sakurajima volcano. While a bit dated (50 yrs old) the hotel is in excellent condition with new carpeting and furniture. On the hotel grounds are a number of restaurants for all tastes, from so-so buffet food to high class Japanese cuisine. The absolutely best part of the hotel is its indoor and outdoor hot springs baths. The outdoor one looks out over Kagoshima bay - what a delight to take your morning shower in the bath area then pop outside to soak while viewing the sunrise over Sakurajima. Staff were friendly. The hotel has a shuttle to the train station and downtown Kagoshima but it takes a very long time to transit the distance. Taxi fare is Y1000 to Y1200 and much quicker than the shuttle. My room rate for a single, upgraded to a double at no charge, was very inexpensive for such a nice hotel.

Room Tip: A room facing the bay is more expensive. You can get an excellent bay view from the grounds or the o...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Paul E
Reviewed 14 April 2013

This is a great sprawling somewhat dated hotel on a hilltop above Kagoshima. It has outstanding views of the volcano across the bay, which is just as well as it does not really have all that much else that's special going for it. Like many big Japanese hotels, weddings seem to be a major focus on this one.

The rooms are reasonable in size and hence big for Japan, but you would never call them luxurious. We found the service to be very uneven. We first arrived through what we discovered was the West entrance and not really the right one for the hotel. None of the staff there tried in any way to direct us to drive around to the East entrance. Similarly, it was bucketing down raining when we left, but no one offered an umbrella or anything as I had to dash through the car park to retrieve our hire car. We had other similar experiences, but also came across some staff who were absolutely fantastic and who went out of their way to help us in any way they could.

The hotel is also somewhat isolated from the rest of the town being up a steep narrow road. It meant you needed a taxi to go anywhere. Although we had our own vehicle, the lack of parking in most places in Japan makes it far easier to use a taxi.

Room Tip: Definitely get one with a volcano view
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BeachSwaggie
Reviewed 28 March 2013

The Shiroyama hotel is wonderful. It is modern, clean and perfectly located. The view from the onsen is amazing. If you have never used an onsen then this is the place to start !!!! The rooms are small, clean, tidy and adequate. The staff are very friendly and many speak English. As a jumping off point to see Kagoshima and Kyushu it is perfect. There are some other small hotels in town that I have stayed in that are also fine ( Gasthof ) but the Shiroyama hotel is much better for views and space. There is also a free hotel bus to and from the station. We arrived via Shinkansen from Osaka and just caught the hotel bus. It runs regularly so no issues here. The hotel buffet is OK but nothing amazing. I suggest eating in town near the railway station. If you cant speak Japanese and are shy - just toughen up and go try !!!!! You will find that with a phrase book and a smile you will have no issue at all. We found a great Indian Restaurant near the railway station where the Indian staff spoke both Hindi and English.

Room Tip: you can ask for a room with a view of Sakurajima if you want - this is a volcano in the middle of th...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank chris l
Reviewed 24 October 2012

My wife and I - and our group - stayed in this Hotel in March 2012 - and it was worth it. I realise that some of you reading this review may be thinking that a ryokan would be better - BUT - plenty of time to stay in a ryokan. For seeing Kagoshima this place is great. Wonderful staff, clean reasonable rooms, great free shuttle and taxis at the front door if you need them. Definitely a great place to stay. If you are a "Gaijin" or non-Japanese you must try the hot spring. I was surprised that only a few of out guests tried it - but it is wonderful to sit in the hot water and look out over the bay at Sakurajima ! A wonderful Japanese experience. Some staff speak good English so you will not have any problem in getting the information you need.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends