“Lovely look at Edo Period culture”

Former Hosokawa Mansion
Ranked #9 of 124 things to do in Kumamoto
North Shore, MA
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 161 helpful votes
“Lovely look at Edo Period culture”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

The Hosokawa Mansion in Kumamoto was one of our favorite stops during a recent trip toJapan. Located about 15 minutes by foot from Kumamoto Castle, this restored mansion of a feudal lord is beautiful in its elegant simplicity. Our visit took us through many rooms (some, like the kitchen, we could only peek into). The furnishings helped us imagine what life was like forthe lord, his family, and their servants. I loved the courtyard gardens and especially enjoyed seeing different views of the same garden as I moved around the home. An English­-language brochure and signage in some of the rooms helped us better understand the home’s history and the culture of the Edo period (I should have read the TA reviews more carefully as I now see that an English­-language tour is available; we didn’t notice any signs about the tour nor did the person at the ticket window mention it). We spent about an hour inside the home and then some time in the surrounding gardens, but if I had had more time, I could easily have spent an additional 30 to 60 minutes in the mansion, lingering in the rooms to absorb the serene atmosphere. I highly recommend that Kumamoto visitors include the mansion in their plans.

3 Thank Route128North

• Korean first
  • Thai first
Nanaimo, Canada
109 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 448 helpful votes
“Beautiful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

We really enjoyed visiting Hosokawa Mansion. The beautiful reconstruction lent an air of authenticity to this complex. One could imagine living here. Loved the architecture of the building and its' blending of inside and outside. Perhaps the best example of samurai living that I have seen and very happy that we decided to spend an hour here. Well worth in my opinion.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank BuccaneerDave
Singapore, Singapore
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“nothing great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

I visited this place because the pass I bought combines this visit to the mansion. this place is huge though. the "tour" brings you from room to room. showing you the bedroom, guest rooms, the kitchen, some rooms have works of art and elaborate cupboards and drawers etc.

if you have no time, you can give it a miss. my opinion of course

Visited March 2014
1 Thank eikpinng
Cairns, Queensland, Australia
471 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,154 helpful votes
“Worth a brief stop over if you are visiting the castle”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

Honmaru palace is a Samurai house located within walking distance from the castle. Like the castle itself it is a reconstruction and displays multiple pieces of furniture, paintings, rock gardens and everything you would expect in a Samurai house. You can’t touch a lot of the stuff and are usually taken on a round tour of the house, which is quite small. Entrance is best with a combined ticket of the castle. Grounds are well maintained. Definitely worth a visit if you are visiting the Kumamoto castle. Very limited English provided but if you ask at the ticketing office you can get an English tour guide which some people may find very helpful.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Rowan H
Hong Kong, China
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Best Samurai house!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

We really enjoyed this house. Not only was it spacious (over 30 rooms), much renovation work has been done to restore some of the rooms. There are nice furniture and accessories as well, rather than just empty rooms. I think it's one of the best I've seen in Japan and probably don't have to see another one after this!

Visited December 2013