“Not the best, but not so bad”

Laguna Garden Hotel
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Goods:
I didn't expect the room to be so big, as I was in Japan, but was much bigger than my expectation.
The breakfast option between Japanese and Western was nice. I enjoyed the Japanese restaurant much better, as it had variety of choices and food was very local.
Location was quite adjacent to main areas like the American Village and International Market street, except the aquarium, as aquarium is almost far from anywhere.

Bads:
As a lot of the staffs were quite old-looking, most of them didn't speak English. I guess it's not so necessary as most guests are Japanese.
I couldn't get access to wi-fi at the room, which is a pity.

Room Tip: Breakfast at the Japanese is much better with more variety!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank yoony916

Reviewed 27 November 2013

We have a small daughter so we try to pick "kids friendly" places with pool or beach etc...somewhere where she gets tired ;)

This place has a great warm indoor pool with slide, jacuzzi in the middle, outdoor pool and also spa with sauna. I got told off by the lifeguard for sliding down on my stomach, try it - it's fun. Sometimes when we're in Japan I do "naughty" things just to watch them thinking hard whether to tell me off or not. [Japanese politeness towards "gaijin" vs. the sense of doing your job properly...sorry slightly off topic ] Forget the "gym" it's a 5SQM room with few pedal bikes. Beach with lifeguards and shark/jellyfish?net is about 10 mins stroll through the back gate on side of the outdoor pool.

Lobby is spacious with friendly staff speaking English. Get one of the larger rooms if you can. Parking right in front of the hotel is cut-throat but there is a large car park on one side of the hotel with plenty of space.

Awesome breakfast buffet with reasonably low waiting time during busy periods (under 10 mins). We haven't tried dinner as we have friends living around here so went out to eat elsewhere. Also couple of convenience shops along the Ginowan bypass (turning around on the bypass to head back to hotel was...."an adventure" as the traffic is quite thick and fast)

Room Tip: All rooms are OK. There are 2 wings I think, one older right above the pool and one newer which is s...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Sneaky_Nuts
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I stayed at Laguna Garden Hotel with my wife and my two-year-old boy. The hotel is close enough to the airport (30 minutes by taxi) that we did not need to rent a car. The room was spacious and seemed to have been recently renovated, but with a reasonable price. The hotel staff was very friendly. There is no private beach but there is a beautiful beach within walking distance. We went in November so it was too cold to swim in the ocean our outdoor pool, but there is an indoor pool with a water slider that kids will love. There are also a variety of restaurants within the hotel, all accommodation small kids. Overall, a great recommendation if you are going with your family.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank satoru1
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I wouldn't say it was 4 star quality. The bedroom was quite large. The view was great, but you had to walk to the beach, but this is clearly written on the website. exercise isn't that bad I suppose! The staff are very friendly,The room service was great, always cleaned..disappointed with the restaurant; lunch until 2.30 and dinner until 9.30 with i find incredible in a 4 stars hotel in a beach destination
breakfast was very good!

No kids activities, but the indoor pool water is so warm that we don't really needed kids activities.

Room Tip: if you a couple with babies and want to treat yourself order for a bigger room. it is a small appart...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank kmatrix
Reviewed 8 July 2013

pros;
Large windows and a balcony where we could get out and breathe fresh air.
Even though the hotel is situated at the seafront of the west coast in Okinawa and all the rooms are with an ocean view, we could see sunrise in summer.
Indoor and large outdoor pool.

cons;
Food wasn't good. We had a dinner at the Chinere restaurant and took the buffet breakfast
in both of Western style restaurant and Japanese style counterpart.
The materials were tolerable but dishes were boring.

Room Tip: All the rooms would be ocean view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank rixxi
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I wouldn't say it was 4 star quality. The bed was quite large, but hard for a western style bed. The view was great, but you had to walk to the beach, exercise isn't that bad I suppose! The staff are very friendly, but speak very basic English (expect that on a Japanese island). The room service was great, always cleaned, no problems. The restaurants are so pricey! I walked down the road the between the hotel and gymnasium, and the food down there was great (there is even a $25 all you can eat and drink across from the western steak house place). Saw one English program on TV the whole time. I'm sure the TV programs require certain tastes, you might lose more brain cells from watching it than binge drinking yourself into a stupor. Also shuttle bus is not free, not frequent and ends early (6pm). I expected it to at least be FOC being the little dodgy service it is. If you want to taxi, be prepared to fork out ¥3,000 each time. I had colleagues staying in Asabashi, near Omorachi monorail. They got better value for money and had more entertainment/night -life.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Stayed in the Laguna Garden for a week - business trip (I was tagging along with my partner). We were sooo disappointed. Our room cost an average of €250 per night and the 4* hotel would barely meet Irish 3* standard.

We had booked a double room but got a twin. We asked to be moved and they showed us a very small double room in the East wing....great view but so tiny we went back to the twin.

I promptly moved around the furniture to have the twins together, and requested extra duvets to soften the beds!

The rooms are dated and smelt fusty or maybe just a build up of smoke as it was a smoking floor (nothing available on non-smoking). TV....no English speaking channels. No radio. Wired broadband with a very intermittent service! Kettle and green tea available but no coffee sachets. You could buy it in the onsite shop though (or take from the breakfast buffet!)

They do offer lots of toiletries....hairbrush, toothbrush, scrunchy, razors etc.

Breakfast - both the Japanese and Western restaurant had great breakfast buffets.

English - almost none throughout the hotel! Staff were nice but really hadn't a clue...even if trying to explain the bus service to anywhere.

The hotel is not on the beach....about a 10 min walk to a public beach. There is NOTHING to do in the area. Try to rent a car but be warned that you can only do so with an International Driving License (EU not enough). If you're here for a conference and someone else is picking up some of the ferocious costs well enough....but if it's your money get out as fast as you can. Some great deals and hotels in Naha or go up north for a day or two.

If you want to see the aquarium try to rent a car. Taking a tourbus will have you sitting in same for over 5 hrs. 5/6 hrs from Naha. There is no direct bus from the south to the north of the Island....crazy when it's only 56miles long (or maybe even kms)

Naha is worth a night or two's stay. Take time to walk some of the lovely parks west of the city.

There is a shuttle service from the Airport but I think only 6 times per day. Taxi will cost about €35 in a saloon car or €50-60 in a large taxi (we were 4 people with four cases so needed a bigger taxi. We were quoted €60 but driver settled for €50) Taxi to American Village or Naha at night cost over €20 each way....it all adds up!

Room Tip: If you want a double make sure it's a corner or suite.....or move the two beds together (you'...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank SOReillyDub
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ginowan
Vessel hotel campana Okinawa
Hilton Okinawa Chatan Resort
The Beach Tower Okinawa
The Beach Tower Okinawa
#3 of 7 in Chatan-cho
Okinawa Marriott Resort & Spa
Southern Beach Hotel & Resort Okinawa
Hotel Nikko Alivila Yomitan Resort Okinawa

Been to Laguna Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!