“Wonderful one night stay”

ANA Intercontinental Ishigaki Resort
Ranked #3 of 36 Hotels / Ryokan in Ishigaki
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Journey from airport by taxi is around 20 mins and cost around 2000 yen. Though there's a shuttle bus that stops at the hotel and takes approx 25 mins and cost 430 yen.

Arrived around 1015 which is too early for check in. So we hang out by the pool and had a swim. As we were jetlagged anyway, it was a very relaxing (and much needed) stay on the pool.

After 1400 we went to front desk to queue to check in but because we registered in the morning, room was ready and bags were already in the room. Stayed in coral wing, premium ocean view, 4th floor, room 2614 - SUPERB VIEW, spacious, super clean, comfy and nice king bed. Bell boy who took us to the room was very very friendly and explained everything in the room.

In the evening, asked concierge where to go for dinner and she recommended and booked us Sushi Taro in town. Went there by taxi. Only Japanese people in restaurant (just what we wanted), sit on the floor and English menu available. Food was DIVINE - best recommendation ever!

Next morning went to Taketomi. Bought the ticket at the concierge. Bus picked us up from hotel to Ishigaki port. At port, we had to collect our ticket. Service was brilliant. Took the ferry and had great time on the island.

Took bus from hotel back to airport, which was no fuss at all, very easy. Wifi in the lobby is fast.

All in all, it was a great stay for us. Service was very good and efficient. Room was amazing. Recommendations from concierge were superb.

Room Tip: Coral Wing, Premium Ocean View, 4th Floor South Side - the view is just stunning.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wiriask
ゲストエクスペリエンス, Guest Relations Manager at ANA Intercontinental Ishigaki Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Dear wiriask-san,
Thank you for having taken the time to write down comments about your stay with us. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay. I will inform the concierge team that you enjoyed the meal at the sushi restaurant they recommended.
The only thing I regret is that you spent only one night with us. I sincerely hope you will have the chance of coming back to Ishigaki and that you will be able to stay a few more nights in oorder to discover what Ishigaki and all the surrounding islands have to offer!
Jean Barcelo (mr.)

Reviewed 9 October 2013

We stayed 4 nights in the hotel in coral wing room and enjoyed it a lot. Rooms are spacious and decorated with style; tatami kind of mats with a lot of wood used in the room. Small minus in coral wing rooms is the lack of balcony. The view and floor to ceiling windows make up a lot, though.

Restaurants and breakfast absolutely satisfactory. Location is good with the town and several dining options within bicycle reach (they rent bikes overnight, if you ask kindly..), CoCo convenience store out some 300 m, beach reasonable and buses to Kabira bay leaving from the
hotel entrance.

Activities were plentiful with all the normal stuff at the beach plus the 'wipe-out' course. Had a snorkling tour by the hotel towards the reef one day and the sea life was reasonable for a 90 mins total time consumed.

All and all well kept hotel with flawless service. We were happy to choose it after seeing the area and what else was on offer.

Tip, if you stay in Coral Wing, or why not if in anywhere: with euro 20 per head (also kids) bkfst price you might want to go via GoGo and have your own quiet and private breakfast in really nice setting in the atrium/garden next to the exit from coral wing, beside the coin laundry..

Room Tip: Coral wing rooms are closest to the sea, also bigger than main wing, but they do not have balconies...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
ゲストエクスペリエンス, Guest Relations Manager at ANA Intercontinental Ishigaki Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2013

Dear DoubleX-san,
Thank you for having chosen Ishigaki as your vacation destination and to have chosen our hotel. We also appreciate the time you took to write down your comments,
I'm sure than when you come again, we can suggest activities that you did not have time to do while with us. I hopw we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again.

Jean Barcelo (mr.)
Guest Experience Manager

Reviewed 17 July 2013

I was there for an afternoon and one night at short notice. I had low expectations having stayed at their hotel in Okinawa but this property had a depressing aura of clearly having seen better days.
Walking through the large garden you can see a building in need of repair and maintenance. All of the facilities are tired and even in need of painting.
The gym was an inadequately small room with a couple of old treadmills and a bicycle. The room was clean but basic.
I made the mistake of asking the concierge for a recommendation for dinner. She apparently did not know the restaurants and sent us to what in London would be called a 'greasy spoon' where the food quality was poor and cooked in too much oil.
After this we took a taxi into the town centre where there are a few streets with bars and restaurants. Having looked at a few we found a small new Yakatori restaurant with friendly staff and good food.
Having stayed at these two Intercontinental Hotels I wonder if the senior management have ever visited these properties. If these were your first experience of their chain you would have a very different view of the brand.

Room Tip: try another hoitel
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank nick l
ゲストエクスペリエンス, Guest Relations Manager at ANA Intercontinental Ishigaki Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2013

Dear nick l-san,
Thank you for having spent the time to write about your stay with us. It is unfortunate that we were not able to fulfill your expectations. I would have liked the name of the restaurant to which the lady at the Concierge desk sent you to; it would have been taken off the list of restaurants we recommend to our Guests. As for your other comments, the management has been made aware of them; they are the basis for improving our services and facilities for our Guests. Thank you for your feedback.
Jean Barcelo (mr.), Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 4 July 2013

We stayed in Okinawa main island last year, also at ANA Intercontinental. We had a great time, but I wasn't impressed with the beach, so dreamed for a year about Ishigaki and a more beautiful ocean, coral reefs etc.

We ended up booking a week at Ishigaki, all at ANA Intercontinental. The price was high, but I figured it would be worth it, based on our experience last year. I had two booking issues that were not great - firstly that we had been offered an Amex promotion rate for 15% off, which was not honoured, and we had to pay the full room rate, in advance, at check-in. Also that despite platinum status with Intercontinental we got no upgrades or special service, which was disappointing.

As for the hotel itself, it is well presented. The rooms were mostly quite clean (except under the beds, as we discovered), a nice light design with lots of bamboo furniture and finishes. Our room was quite a way from the restaurants and lobby, but bearable.

Surprisingly for a hotel of this price, there is no wifi in the rooms! I ended up having to work all through our first night, and so spent the night in the lobby, which was the only useful place with wifi. Quite unpleasant. Fortunately, the staff did offer to install a wifi device in our room from the next day. This worked fine once it was installed, but still disappointing it isn't there in the first place, and that I had quite a stressful night trying to figure out what to do.

Restaurants were average to good, and we tried them all at least once. The Chinese restaurant was good, and Tepanyaki was nice too, but expensive. After we all ordered the seafood teppanyaki course, and our food had started arriving, we were told there was no lobster available (the main event of that menu) and we would be getting prawns instead, with no discount. That was rather surprising. In the end, the prawns and the rest of the food was very nice, but ... if this had been anywhere other than Japan, I would not have accepted service like that.

We travelled with our young kids, and with the possible exception of the breakfast and buffet restaurant there were no particularly kids-friendly food options available, or specific kids menu. The kids still managed to eat though. There was a kids club, which looked ok but we did not use (partly because they could not take our youngest due to her age). The indoor and outdoor pools were also a lot of fun with the kids, and the highlight of the hotel.

Now... the beach. To me, this was really the main point of going to Ishigaki. If we were just going to spend our time in a swimming pool, we could do it in a lot of cheaper places. So, I was surprised and saddened to find that the coral reef in front of the resort seems to be completely dead. I had visions and had been waiting months to do some snorkelling, show our kids coral and reef fish in the wild, and none of that happened. Instead, we had inflatable climbing equipment to jump around on, for an additional cost of something like ¥2,000 per adult and maybe half that for kids (again, youngest kid could not join this activity).

There were also boats to hire, but I barely saw anyone use them. I did, and it was sort of fun - but quite expensive rental (¥4,000 for 30 mins I think), and I chose the glass-bottom kayak hoping to see something interesting, and all we saw was dead, broken coral...

Staff were mostly ok here. We did find it strange that despite dining in the buffet area for approximately 14 times in total, with the same staff serving us, we still had to ask for the same things every time (a baby chair, kids cultery set etc). It was like staff were polite, but on the whole not actually very attentive to our real needs.

One of our nights, we had a very noisy and presumably drunk father in the room above us, shouting and throwing things for quite a while. It was disturbing, and woke our kids up, who were very frightened. It stopped not too long after we altered reception. This is not the hotel's fault I know, but did spoil otherwise good sleeps we had there.

On the weekend of our stay, there were 5 weddings back to back - fun for the kids to see a bit of, but it seemed like a wedding factory to me. The gardens around the pool and chapel were attractive to walk though, though we didn't actually spend much time doing this as it was so hot.

A final note, there was a reasonably attractive reef aquarium in the foyer area which the kids liked to go and look at especially after breakfast. Sadly, they invented a game of counting the dead fish, because virtually every day a new reef fish had died and was to be found sitting on the sand, stuck against a filter, hiding in a corner... In some cases the same fish was in the same spot for a few days.

The fish tank actually reflects my impression overall - a nice first impression, some good features, but fundamentally I wasn't convinced we were really cared for as guests, or that the hotel cared about its environment as much as it should. While we had a fun time here overall, it was nothing like our best beach resort holidays.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank MisterPugz
ゲストエクスペリエンス, Guest Relations Manager at ANA Intercontinental Ishigaki Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2013

Dear MisterPugz-san,

Thank you for having taken the time to post comments about our hotel. I regret to see that some aspects of your stay with us were not up to your expectations.
I must apologize that we did not honor your Amex promotion. In addition, although your status of Platinum Member was recognized, we were unable to offer you a room upgrade due to the high occupancy rate the hotel was going through when you came.
Your comments about the restaurants have already been relayed to the restaurant manager and they will be used in our efforts to improve the services we offer our Guests. Your other comments have also been carefully noted and we are already working on some of them.
I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future and that you will find the hotel closer to your expectations.

Jean Barcelo (mr.), Guest Experience Manager

Reviewed 28 May 2013

A pretty much self-contained resort in Ishigaki Island, about 15 minutes by car from the new airport, you can find everything here. Golf course, beach front seaview (Maezato Beach), gorgeous outdoor pools, indoor pool (under maintenance the week when we visited), chapel, kids club (looks great with sand pit, playground, water play area etc), spa, 5 restaurants onsite, even convenience store and coin laundry!

As my husband was a Priority Club Platinum member, we were upgraded to a room on the top floor in the new Coral Wing with frontal ocean view. Fabulous view! Room was really spacious (50 sqm!), nicely decorated in resort style (light colors, lots of bamboo) with day bed included. We also liked the fact that the toilet, shower and bath area as well as the sink area were all separated. My only complaint about the room was that WIFI was unavailable in the room(there was LAN though), not acceptable for a 5 star property in 21st Century.

There was nothing I could complain about the hardware of this resort. The service was also impeccable. Almost every single staff greeted us with a big smile when they saw us in the resort. Concierge especially was outstanding. Before we arrived, we got in touch with their resort centre (aka concierge) for our hotel transfer. Hiroko-san was very helpful and assisted us in the booking of a Jumbo taxi. She made sure we arrived safely in the resort and also enquired after our day trip to Taketomi Island. The concierge was also very knowledgeable and helpful in restaurant recommendations. With their recommendations, we had wonderful meals at Hitoshi (wonderful tuna and toro sushi!) and Takesan Tei (awesome Ishigaki beef restaurant). We liked Takesan Tei so much that we went back twice! It seemed that they could also arrange diving/sea-walking/ snorkelling/paragliding activities.

There were so many great restaurants/izakaya in Ishigaki that we didn't have a chance to try out the restaurants in the resort. So can't comment on that.

What else would I hope to be better in this hotel? The kid's club activities are only offered for children above 4 years old. My toddler was 3 and a half and was a little disappointed that he couldn't participate. Luckily, the outdoor pool and Maezato Beach were great and they kept him busy. It would be great if they could have activities for younger children.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
ゲストエクスペリエンス, お客様担当マネージャー at ANA Intercontinental Ishigaki Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2013

Dear sevenheaven1 san,
Thank you for having taken the time to send positive comments about your stay with us.
I am happy to read that you enjoyed your large room; offering wifi in the rooms is definitely under consideration and when we do, this should bring us back into the 21st century!
I've told our Hiroko, at the Resort Center, about your comments; she was very happy to know that you appreciated her help.
As for your toddler, I hope he enjoyed the pool and the ocean although he was not able to take part in our Kids' Club activities. Next time you come, hopefully he will be four, and we'll make sure he has a great time.
We're all looking forward to welcoming you again in Ishigaki (there are definitely several restaurants/izakaya left for you to try!). Kind regards, Jean Barcelo (mr.) Senior Guest Experience Manager.

Reviewed 14 February 2013

The service of the resort is way beyond our expectation. There seems no problem un-sovlable by the resort staff. They helped us book the golf link at Kohama, which we had difficulty booking online by ourselves. They recommended the pleasant tour to Tekegima, the original village of which was very special with the buffalo ride and worth a half day stay. They helped to book restaurants out of the resort for us every night, the local type with delicious tuna sashimi and Ishigaki beef. And when I found that my Mac can't get connected with internet cable in the room, they brought a wireless machine immediately. Although the resort is a bit old and the beach doesn't seem perfect, we still love it. Plus it's location is fantastic, with 10-minute drive to everywhere, the airport, the port, local restaurants and the city center.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2012

Rather charming considering it being a commercial hotel. Definitely convenient and comfortable. Not cheap, but you get your money's worth.

The hotel had many different amenities to take advantage of, including tennis courts, a golf course, indoor and outdoor pools and spas. They offer many different activity packages (hiking, kayaking, scuba diving...) and are extremely helpful in arranging them. My husband speaks Japanese, which may have made things a whole lot easier, but I think they would be equally as accommodating to non-Japanese speaking guests.

Transportation is also very convenient as they provide a shuttle (actually a bus) to the ports if you want to island hop, which are then connected to buses on coordinated schedules and cabs are very accessible. We rented a car but hardly used it.

Although we only ate once at the cafe, we found the food actually quite good. We stayed in a corner suite with beautiful views of the ocean and had a large sun deck. The rooms and halls are very clean with faux wooden floors that give a nice beach-housey feel, much different than the concrete and rigid exterior.

Ishigaki itself is a wonderful place to visit with beautiful mangroves, jungle-like trails and crystal clear oceans full of of aquatic life. We unfortunately missed the manta ray viewing season (April or May), but there was still plenty to look at under water. Another great benefit, especially for visitors from East Asia, is it stays much warmer than the rest of japan throughout the year making it a nice trip during the colder months.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have great views and large sun decks. Private and quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple