“Awesome Getaway”

Club Med Ishigakijima
Ranked #1 of 36 Hotels / Ryokan in Ishigaki
Reviewed 26 July 2014

My wife had our 19th Anniversary here and Club med didn't fail to impress. From the activities to the staff my wife and I had a great trip for three nights! Relaxing and fun... if you are out on the water looking for something new to do ask for Omar. He was awesome... just no other words to describe how he took the time to show me how to windsurf!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cjjammin

Reviewed 18 July 2014

We've stayed for 4 nights and had a great time. Planned to stay for 5 nights but couldn't fly in as the flights were cancelled because of the typhoon - if you planning your trip in advance July is typhoon season - although the hotel doesn't close, if typhoon hits the island you wouldn't be able to get out or do much so recommend to go either later or earlier. Luckily this year typhoon bypassed Ishigaki (nearby Myoko island got affected) so we were able to get to the island and still have greenery and beautiful waters at the beach (wasn't the case last year apparently).

Staff were amazing and my kids loved the circus team the most - Kuma, Tamago and Benji did fantastic job teaching them tricks and made it fun for them to learn.

Lots of thanks to all the stuff at the bar, discovery centre, restaurant, sports, junior kids club - you've really made our vacation memorable.

We've tried scuba diving for the first time - highly recommended to all - the corals and fish are amazing and scuba diving instructors are great.

Some tips for July:
-The weather is super hot - lots of sunscreen of 50+ grade is the must;
-There are 4 Nemo spots at the main swimming area at the beach - at low tide you can walk to all 4 (the water is below the adults' waist so OK for small kids as well). great fun for kids to search for these, but do ask for help from any of the stuff as to where these are to get you started;
- sports are better in the morning as its a bit less heat - for some reason there are fewer people going to archery for junior time and family time allocated so there are always spots available for single adults/ couples;
- kids quite enjoyed the pottery making excursion - although not cheap its style is quite unique and one gets to take home (well, they mail you the artefacts) a beautiful plate/ cup/ whatever one's chosen to make. if decide to go, make it clear your choice at the time of booking: either crockery (plate/ cup etc.) or a scisa lion. My son wanted to make a lion, but when we got there the setup was for 2 plates and we couldn't change as the materials are different.

Hope whoever is reading this will enjoy their vacation as much as we did!

Room Tip: get a ground floor room if you've got prams / back problems.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank TravelTheWorld44
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I'd never heard of Club Med until my friend girl mentioned it to me. So I decided to give it a try and was super excited. This is definitely a place for couples, family, or a nice girls trip. There is an amazing view, white sandy beach, turquoise-blue water-just amazing. The pictured shown are exactly what you will see.

Let me start at the airport: Upon arrival at the airport, staff is waiting for you with name tags for your bags. Then you are walked over to the bus to take you to the resort. Once you arrive at the resort you are greeted by a lovely staff. There is an area set up with water, tea and a wet cloth for your hands. You are given a briefing on the happenings and events that will follow. Aso, at the time of check in you are given this little card that is used to make purchases and the day before you leave you take the card to the front desk to settle your purchases. Also, you are given an arm band for the unlimited drinks you can receive at the bar. We arrived during lunch so the staff took us to lunch and told us our bags would be in our rooms when we were finished eating. After lunch we were escorted to our room.

Rooms: The rooms were nice and clean. The toilet ( Japanese toilets-heated, etc was a nice surprise) is in a room of its own and then you have the shower and sink. My only con was a smelly shower curtain-the shower curtains are cloth. I called the front desk and they immediately came out to change it. I stayed in lodge I-which is a clear walk to the beach. I will post pics later. You have a small fridge in your room, a coffee pot, and you also receive 3-4 bottles of water. note: Keep your empty bottle water foe refills. You do not receive any more water bottles. There is also a vending machine that sells bottled drinks. The iron & ironing board isn't in rooms-now that was a surprise. They are located outside in the little laundry area with the washer & dryer. The washer is ¥ 100 for 30 minutes and they dryer is ¥ 200 for 30 minutes. You can purchase a small pack of laundry powder from the shoppette for ¥ 100.

Food:
There is a breakfast buffet starting at 730am and over at 930am. There is a wide variety of food, drinks, breads and dessert.

Lunch is from 1130 and over ar 130. Now there is nothing served until a bar snack about 530pm before dinner starting at 630pm and over at 830pm. Con: After dinner is served no food is available. You are not allowed to take any food out and just F.Y.I-no room service is offered. I wasn't exactly happy about this. Sometimes late night you would like a snack or something.

Events:

There are so many things offered. You can snorkel, windsurf, wind sail, etc. Most water sports are offered with guides. There are lounge chairs on the beach with nice umbrellas so you can prevent some of the sun. If you have kids there is a kids med where the adults are able to have some free time. There is a gym, where you can workout-yoga classes are offered, ping-pong and racquet ball.

Also, you can get a massage, mani or pedi. You can also sign up for tours-we did the glass bottom boat which was amazing.

Staff:

I do not have one negative thing to say regarding staff. Everyone is extremely nice and accommodating. Ghizzo is the bomb :) Gary is really nice-everyone really go above & beyond during your stay.

We had a bar-be-cue, pool party ( so much fun) and an theatrical event each night after dinner.
My husband was deployed during my visit so I will be making another trip. This is a place you'd definitely want to visit if you ever visit.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Karena_Jax01
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We just returned home yesterday from an amazing trip to ClubMed! It was our second trip in six months because we just had to go once more before we leave the area! We were met at the door by several staff members who welcomed us home, which was fun! What we love about ClubMed is that it seems that all the GOs go out of their way to make sure that our stay is a true vacation! Ghazzo, Chuck, Mizo, Mobeen, Robert, Lion, Love were just a few who went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed to have a great time. Manami did a great job with our kids, 9 & 11, in Junior Club. She made sure they always had something to do, and were safe. The guys at the trapeze were excellent with the kids as well (I'm sorry I forgot all your names!). As always, the food was wonderful and the entire restaurant staff took great care of us. We love that the GO's sit with the guests and share life stories. It is one of the ways ClubMed is unique as a vacation experience. The beach staff were helpful when we wanted to kayak, windsurf, paddle board and snorkel. With the fun activities like tennis and archery to all the water sports and that great pool, there are lots of things to keep everyone busy. But if all you want to do is sit at the bar, that is fine too! The view is amazing and the bar staff is courteous and fun to hang out with. We were happy to be able to welcome Theodoi on her first day working there! Mizo and Mobeen have fun activities going on all day long. We had lots of fun finishing off the evening with late night water volleyball and water polo games! A great time was had by all, and we will look forward to seeing the ClubMed team at other locations around the world!

Room Tip: All of the rooms have ocean views!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Kari B
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I have been to Club Med Cherating & Bintan previously but this one is by far the nicest. Accessibility will be an issue if you are not residing in Japan and are looking for a short, quick getaway. The rooms are clean & tidy if not luxurious. Compared to other Club Meds, this is pretty small. But it sure makes up for it by having great beaches. The seas are calm and my children had a great time snorkelling & windsurfing. My only regret is not being able to book a fishing trip during my stay there. The GM and his GOs are simply great! They make you feel so at home.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Edmlee26
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I would like to take this opportunity to commend the entire team at Club Med Kabira. I went on my first Club Med holiday just over a year ago and loved the Club Med concept and particularly the circus/trapeze, since then I have had several holidays to Asian CM's. I can unequivocally say that Kabira stands out amongst all the resorts I have been to and is easily my favourite CM resort so far, and this was my most relaxing holiday ever. The location is naturally spectacular - the water is warm and crystal clear making for amazing snorkelling (thanks Rob for encouraging me to do this). The food is fantastic, I am vegetarian and the kitchen staff were more than happy to increase the vegetarian selection when they were made aware of my dietary needs (thanks Ben-G). The pastry chefs at Kabira are fantastic with amazing, varied desserts every day. The selection of activities is vast and every day I did yoga (thanks Love), snorkelling, walked/ran around the Island and trapeze. This is only a small selection of the activities that are available with tennis, water sports (windsurfing, kayaking, stand-up paddle board), archery, and mountain biking amongst the things I did not try. This resort manages to achieve a great balance between fun and serenity.

The whole GO team were truly amazing and accommodating but there are a few people I would like to single out:

Lori in excusions: Lori went above and beyond to ensure that as the only english-speaking GM on our tour to Taketomi island I was able to understand and appreciate all the sites and I truly felt that she was acting as my private guide (and at the same time she managed to ensure that everyone else in the group did not feel excluded). I don't think I can recall a moment I didn't see her with a smile on her face. The tour to Taketomi island is worth doing and quite good value.

The entire circus team: Ben-G, Kumar and Ken. Of course as I love trapeze I spent quite a lot of time at the trapeze and received excellent tuition from these guys. Although the trapeze is closed at the moment on Wednesdays they make up for it by having 2 sessions for adults on the other days and although it was quite busy due to popularity the guys made sure everyone had plenty of turns by running it very efficiently - and at the same time managing to give every guest individual attention. All the evening circus shows were fantastic and great to see the skills of the other GM's in these shows.

Marco: he must be one of the funniest people I have EVER seen. He makes all the shows incredibly entertaining.

Ghazzo of course (Interim CDV) - from the moment I met him he made me feel like I was a VIP and it is clear he is able to make all guests feel like this. He truly embodies the CM spirit. His attitude is reflected in the rest of the village. His character brings out the best in his GO's and he takes pride in seeing their skills on show. It is not common to meet a person who is able to lead a large team without stifling the personalities and talents of its members.

I have encouraged family and friends to holiday at CM since I first went and they have all returned with positive reports. I will definitely be recommending they travel that little bit further to go to Kabira. Also, there are now flights from Taiwan to Ishigaki twice a week which makes travel time shorter. As an english-speaking guest travelling alone I never felt that this negatively impacted on the enjoyment of my stay. I met lots of other guests and have made some great friendships despite relative language barriers. If you are an english-speaking tourist and have concerns about traveling to Kabira due to language barriers then you should rest assured, the is not an issue at all. GO!! Overall a fantastic holiday.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank MSMSMSM
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This was our first time at a Club Med and I viewed it as a one time splurge because I don't expect we will ever be living near another Club Med location. As many have said, it has a gorgeous location. The staff were all quite friendly and it's always a nice touch when the manager of a property (in this case Nicola) introduces themselves when you first arrive. And that wasn't the last time we saw him; he was always quite visible and available if you needed something.

These were things I liked:

--There was laundry equipment available for you to wash your clothes yourself: 200 yen to wash/100 yen to dry and detergent was sold in the boutique
--There was a movie channel showing movies in English
--The minibar items on day one are free: nuts, mini can of coke, small box of orange juice, green tea, and 2 bottles of mineral water. You're encouraged to refill your water bottles in the bar during your stay.
--Personal service by the GO's: we saw Dogan every night in the dining room. He was very attentive. One night I realized at 6:59 pm that I had neglected to stop by the Discoveries office to book a tour we wanted to go on in the morning. I knew they closed at 7:00 pm so I flagged Dogan down and he contacted them. He returned to our table and told me they would wait for me so I went down there and got signed up for the tour.

Things I didn't like:

--the bed was uncomfortably firm for my taste, but I was able to sleep so I guess it wasn't too bad
--wifi service is dismal. I know others have complained it is slow and that's true but for me only about 60% of the pages I attempted to visit would even load.
--food was just OK except for the fabulous Ishigaki beef, which I recommend and you must order it the day before and pay an additional fee between 5,000 and 6,000 yen per person
--there is no room service, and no food available anywhere once the dining room ends dinner service at 8:30 pm.

It wasn't a huge deal to me, but my husband and I went to the front desk one night and asked just to be sure that there was no room service. We were told there wasn't. But one of the staff suggested we ask to wrap up something from the dining room at dinner if we thought we'd like something to eat for later.

So on the last night of our stay, the desserts were really good and my husband approached the chef standing behind the dessert table and asked if he could take 2 out. The chef said it was OK as long as he wrapped it and placed plastic wrap around the 2 items. (by the way don't miss the lemon mousse!) Since you are encouraged to settle your account the night before check out, we went by the front desk to take care of that after we left the dining room. But as we were inquiring about settling our account, the front desk person saw the food in my husband's hands and volunteered: "Usually you aren't supposed to take food out of the dining room!" My husband said, "Well, I asked in the dining room, and I was told it was OK if it was wrapped up but I can give it to you if it's not allowed." And she responded by saying, "no, you don't have to give it to me, but usually you aren't supposed to take food out." Well, if we weren't on my last night of our stay, I might have asked Nicola what the official policy is just for clarification but since we were checking out the next morning, I let it go. But if an employee hadn't actually made the suggestion to us that we ask to wrap up some food for take away, it never would have occurred to us to do it in the first place.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple