“Great for the Setouchi Triennale”

Takamatsu Terminal Hotel
Ranked #36 of 69 Hotels / Ryokan in Takamatsu
Reviewed 3 October 2013

This was the second time I stayed in this hotel. The first time was in 2010 and I came back in 2013 for the Setouchi Triennale. It is not an expensive hotel and is a typical business hotel with good service. Well located for the Triennale as it is very close to the JR Takamatsu Station as well as the ferry port.

The staff is very nice. It seems to be family run and the woman running the counter is very helpful. For my 2010 stay, I arrived on my motorcycle and had free parking in the bicycle area. They even covered it with table clothes when it was raining! Great service. This time, they weren't as generous as I didn't have a motorcycle with me, but the lady was still very kind. She even mentioned how grateful she was for my long stay in the hotel, in Japanese of course.

The rooms are small but clean. I can't complain as I have been in dozens of hotels all over Japan. They are pretty standard for a Japanese hotel. The rooms are not the newest in the world and could use a renovation but considering Takamatsu is not a major city in Japan, I can't complain. The cost performance was good.

When staying in this hotel, be sure to head to the station if you need supplies. There is an Ace One supermarket that has reasonably priced items. The selection is not as good as Tokyo or Osaka but pretty good for Takamatsu and the JR Takamatsu Station Area.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Dru46

Reviewed 6 May 2013

I stayed here because I wanted to use Takamatsu as a base for visiting the art island of Naoshima, and it served that purpose well.

I arrived early but the lady at the Tourist Info section of the railway station advised me not to store my luggage in a coin locker at the station; she suggested I take it to the hotel. When I arrived there (a short walk from the station), the hotel was more than willing to store it until I checked in(3 pm earliest time).

When I arrived in my room, my luggage was already there - more than what I expected at this price point. The room was typical Japanese business hotel: small, but it had a double bed, and was a front room on the 5th floor, with a view of the streetscape. Noise was not an issue and I slept well. I was out of the hotel most of the time, and so can't comment much on the flat screen TV.

The bathroom was small, but contained a deep soaking bath - typical for business hotels in Japan.

In common with some other Japanese business hotels I stayed in, I couldn't get my phone (a Nokia n9) to work using the Softbank wifi the hotel provides on each floor. The owner was more than willing to help me set up the Softbank wifi and it was great to get such support but in the end, I used the wifi available near reception and in the dining room (no password required), and that was sufficient.

Meals in the dining room were not expensive: I ate a light dinner there on the first night, and it was fine. In the morning, the choice was a Japanese or continental style "western" breakfast, which is what I chose. For Y770 it provided fruit (banana, orange), toast, butter and jam, soft cheese, orange juice and coffee. I thought that was reasonable value, especially when compared to the price of "morning sets" available outside the hotel - for example, Y300 or so for coffee and a donut.

The staff were ever courteous, not with a lot of English, but more than willing to help. In in all it was a good experience, and I have absolutely no issues in recommending this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Dundas3071
Reviewed 7 February 2013

The hotel from the outside looks very average and very japanese, i.e. business hotel.
Very close to JR station and Kotoden line station, not far from the ferry port, it is a very convenient location. Rooms are small but correct in accordance with Japanese standard.
More over, the staff deserves a warm congratulation being so kind and helpful, the lady-owner speaking a very good english. Food served (breakfast, lunch and dinner) was excellent... Really a very good value for the money and a useful setting !

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank louisairelle
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I used this friendly family run hotel as a base for travelling in eastern Shikoku and found it perfect for what I needed, if not luxurious. It is a solid Japanese business hotel just steps from the train station and port. The rooms are snug but even the singles have a nice "double" bed. Also free LAN, a fridge and water boiler, as well as what looked like a clothes steamer (I did not use). The owner-lady at reception was very friendly, and the price contradicts the notion that Japan always needs to be "expensive".

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank UKbanker33
Reviewed 7 December 2011

Located just a walk from Takamatsu Station and another short walk to the port for ferries to the islands of Naoshima and Shodoshima, it is in a great location.
A pleasant hotel with helpful staff and nice rooms, it was an unexpected pleasure in a whistle-stop trip we had through Takamatsu.
Room size was good, clean, and reasonably priced at Y11,500 for a twin.
We had an early breakfast at 7.00 am in the dining room and a pretty comprehensive Japanese breakfast including natto which I have now taken a liking to, once I discovered that the mustard makes all the difference.
Also there is a cute little Irish Pub bar called The Craic just around the corner (north then east only about 50 metres, 2nd floor) where we had fish and chips with mandatory brown vinegar and a Guiness to wash it down! From a high speed talkative local host.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank swordfish24
Reviewed 24 August 2010

Very helpful staff, they speak English well. Free internet in rooms, and if you require a lan cable they will loan one to you free of charge. The room is fairly average size, forJjapanese standards. Also, very close to Takamatsu station and the shopping district. Both are easily within walking distance.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank stacie915
Reviewed 10 August 2010

The hotel is literally a 2min walk from the train station. The rooms are dated but comfortable. The managers are delightful. As a solo female traveller, i felt very comfortable and safe at this hotel.
There is a good supermarket at the train station.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo