“incredible value”

Hotel Dormy Inn Takamatsu
Stockholm, Sweden
“incredible value”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

the room was small, but enough for us. 10th floor with a view :)
delicios yukatas every day. Bed pillows and linen were ok, nothing fancy but nice and clean,
Plenty of toileteries. refrigerator & tea in room.
Corn juice and coffe in lobby. wonderful spa on the roof, a sauna as well. washer and dryer at the spas. delicious breakfast japanese style at the estate restaurant, not included but definively worth.
both udon and soba are delicious, with different fresh made tempura.
the staff is great, coud reccomend restaurants we had never found otherwise and could solve any kinds of small problems. Excellent for the price, i'm giving a 4 just because of the room size that is a litte too small.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank voyage74

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We turned up quite late in the evening to find we had somehow cancelled our reservation several months before. Within 10 mins though we were checked into a room at the same price as we had seen online many months ago. This place is cheap which might explain the room sizes but we were only sleeping there so it was fine for us. Breakfast was buffet style and a bit crowded due to the size of the room but again you can't argue with the price.

What does set this place apart is the rooftop Onsen which is the perfect way to end the day and surprisingly quiet at the times we visited.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JDgoesGlobal
Netherlands
Reviewed 14 July 2013

The dormy-inn offers a typical Japanese experience. There was only one person at the reception, who spoke English. He was extremely helpful, as we had to consult an ophthalmologist and he directed us to the next doctor and translated the prescription, which was a great help as no one else spoke English, not even the doctor. He further checked the ferry connections to Teshima and Naoshima island as we wanted to make sure to see both islands in one day. Unfortunately we did not get his name but want to extend our gratitude as he was of great help to us. The location of the hotel is midway between the station and the Ritsurin Garden. It's quite a walk from the station and definitely worthwhile to take a cab, especially with suitcases. The cab ride is just ¥600. We arrived before 15.00 h and desperately wanted to take a shower and get into our room. Hotel rooms are usually available after 15.00 h but after asking, the reception called and had our room cleaned quickly so we could get our shower. The regular rooms are tiny, about 15 m2. The bed is also rather small for two people but the mattress is excellent. We stayed for two nights as we wanted to see the islands a full day and used Takamatsu as a starting point rather than Uno. The dormy-inn chain offers free ramen soup between 21.30-23.00 h, which we found a lovely service. We didn't choose for the breakfast as it doesn't offer Western style food. Even though we love Japanese food we don't appreciate starting our day with fish and rice but rather bread and eggs. There is a nice free spa facility on the roof top we used both nights. Men and women are separated and it's traditionally Japanese, hence naked. A nice way to get a better look at Japanese culture and habits. Wifi reception only in the lobby and not always working properly. A good Japanese hotel for a decent price in a rather unhandy location if you are planning to take the train or ferries a lot.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bas_8
Nantes, France
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Good onsen on the last floor. Comfortable rooms and excellent breakfast. The staff hardly speak any English but this does not matter since they are very kind patient and helpful. A 15-minute walk from the harbour and the train station, this hotel is close to a couple of interesting shopping & restaurant arcades and not far from the remarkable Takatmasu garden. Superb value for money.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JFLR187198
Reviewed 14 April 2013

We spend 2 nights in Dormy Inn. We've used this location to visit Nahoshima Island for the Setouchi Triennale 2013 (Art Festival). It's few meters away from a commercial arcade on which you can found very good small restaurants. I've been impressed for the services we had for 102 USD double room (breakfast included). Excellent service at the front desk, they were very helpful. They have a Sentō (Hot water bath + sauna), which it's highly recommended after spent one day walking and visiting. The breakfast was excellent, its self service. I had udon noodles soup + shrimp tempura, again the service from the kitchen staff was excellent.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank alpinecharro
Kaneohe, HI
Reviewed 11 April 2013

I've just been reading the other reviews of this place, and I agree with most of the things that were said about Dormy Inn. This is the fourth Dormy I've stayed at, and the room was easily the smallest of the rooms in which I've stayed! The amenities, if you can call them that, were aggressively basic, and there was no sense of style at all. It was just your basic four walls. It was hard for me to move around much, even traveling by myself. I'd like to know where some of these people who said the room was spacious have stayed before.

Now that's the only negative thing I have to say, because otherwise everything was exactly as I expected from a Dormy Inn, from the truly fine baths on the top floor, which included a lovely outdoor bath (exactly the same decor and layout as the one in Kurashiki) to the good location across the street from the major entertainment area of Takamatsu.

I didn't try the breakfast, but the restaurant looked attractive. The staff all tried their best to be helpful, but the promised English ability was not in evidence the day I was there. They tried to make a little map that would help me find a restaurant I had heard of, but couldn't do it in any way I could understand. That turned out to be okay, because I spoke to a very nice lady who pointed out that her udon restaurant was better than the one I'd heard of in "Lonely Planet." And she wasn't just bragging. This was a GREAT place, and she and I had nice conversations, her in her broken, but understandable English, me in my broken, but apparently understandable, Japanese. I really enjoyed that place, and enjoyed a nice walk around the extensive arcade areas directly across from the hotel.

I had a very good massage treatment in the hotel, and I definitely recommend this service.

All in all, it was perfectly acceptable and it is a good choice if you have a limited budget.

Room Tip: Be sure you avail yourself of the onsen upstairs. This by itself makes the Dormy a good value.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Whitsiepoo
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 14 February 2013

I was really impressed with this modestly priced hotel. The room was far nicer and more spacious that I expected for the price (although as with most Japanese hotel rooms, still tending to the small side). The staff were very helpful and patient. I had a rental car and parking at US$10 a day was outstanding value given the parking pressures in all Japanese cities. The laundry facilities are excellent - free washing (including laundry liquid) and a very efficient dryer that got a load almost completely dry in it's first 20 min 100Y (barely a US$1) cycle. As many reviewers have commented, the location could not be better and you can walk to most anywhere you are likely to want to go, including the port, the Castle grounds and Ritsurin. The icing on the cake is a very well appointed roof top onsen. What more could you ask for?

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo