“Great value, great location, great service”

Richmond Hotel Akita Ekimae
Ranked #1 of 40 Hotels / Ryokan in Akita
Melbourne, Australia
“Great value, great location, great service”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Cons
Room is slightly small, I think it is normal size in Japan.

Pros
Great Service, always smiling and greet us whenever we leave or return the hotel
Perks. When check in , they allow us to choose various things such as facial mask, bath salt etc. I heaps that can last for my 3 nights
Bed is comfortable.
They provided laundry coins which is great considering we are in Japan for 3 week and in need to wash our clothes.
Clean room

Room Tip: Happy with this hotel. Great value and it is recommended by my friend in Akita
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sleaford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

A short walk from the west exit from Akita station; easy to find using the map on the hotel brochure. Friendly and obliging reception staff, who kept
our cases on arrival and departure as our train timings were not in line with check in and check out times. They were also helpful in providing
information on the rather limited local attractions.
Very good sized rooms and larger than usual bathroom. Attractive decor
and good lighting. We'll equipped with fridge, Wifi and giant TV. The beds
are large and comfortable with two reasonably soft pillows.
Breakfast was predominantly Japanese and very good according to my wife. Not much in the way of western fare, but the coffee was good and
there was a choice of apple and orange juices. Also sliced bread was available together with a toaster and supplies of jams and marmalade, which kept me happy.

All in all a good experience - a hotel I would certainly choose again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Richmond is proud of their services provided, from the moment check in to check out, I am all happy with it. The room is also modern and stylish. I was having fever during my stay, I borrowed their thermometer and measure the temperature in the lobby, the staff are helpful and still carrying smile, but they didn't have intention to bring me water and ask if I am ok. I finally get a cup of water in the restaurant and took the pill. that gave me a feeling that the smile on their face is just robotic and I just didnt feel the true warm heart. Overall, it is a very professional hotel in Akita

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Spent two night during a business trip. Very close to the JR station. Rooms are fine and food is good. Small gripes: 1) Get rid of the stinky shower curtain 2) plastic dishes at breakfast. Otherwise, I would go back to this hotel again when I visit Akita.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Paranaque, Philippines
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I booked this hotel online because it was very near the train station and apparently in the middle of Akita City's activity. I've been in Japanese hotels before so I was expecting tight quarters. I am soooo glad that I was wrong.
My friends and I arrived quite late in the evening but the reception staff was on their toes and very welcoming. Our rooms were ready for us and, as a nice touch, we were made to choose some bath perks--pedicure kit? bath salts? facial moisturizing masks? Delightful!
The rooms were uncharacteristically (for Japan) large for the price range. TV (no English channels though), in room wi-fi access, refrigerator, complimentary coffee and tea, complimentary water, an all-phone charger, bath tub.
A big plus was the set of shampoo and conditioner available in the rooms. These smell good and are actually very good for the hair. These are available for sale but rather bulky. I would have wanted to buy some but it was too heavy for me.
The breakfast, although the same everyday, was quite pleasant and filling. The food was mostly Japanese with only cereal as a concession to the Western diet. Miso soup was unlimited.
The staff is very helpful. When we needed help photocopying, borrowing umbrellas, getting a cab or obtaining information, they were on it. When we needed extra documentation, they were willing to provide it.
We stayed 6 days and were totally happy with it.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
San Jose, California
Reviewed 26 January 2014

As others have stated the RIchmond Hotel is conveniently located near the Akita train station. There are many places to eat, convenience stores, and near the station there's a department store. You can buy breakfast groceries and keep it in you refrigerator to cut cost and avoid going out every morning. There is a microwave available for use at the hotel. They do offer breakfast at the hotel but currently the breakfast buffet is Y1,100. They don't offer too much western style food. Maybe toast, coffee, juice, yogurt, sausage but plenty of Japanese food. They staff is very helpful. They will go out of their way to help you get anything or to arrange something. The room has a small refrigerator and a hot pot to boil water for coffee/tea. You can always ask at the front desk for anything you may need such as toiletries, bath salt, shower cap, etc. Only negative for foreign visitors might be the lack of foreign TV channels. Only Japanese channels. Hopefully you're there to visit and not spend too much time in the room watching TV...

Room Tip: I would ask for a double room. Japanese single rooms are pretty small.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I've stayed in another hotel in Akita, but wasn't very excited about it, so decided to try this one. This will now always be my go-to hotel for Akita! I stayed for one week with my daughter, in a Comfort Twin room that was a corner room. It was very spacious for a Japanese hotel. We had two comfortable beds, plus a couch, table, and easy chair, a mini-fridge, and a very long desk-table that ran the length of one side of the room. With free wifi, this could easily accommodate both of us working on our computers, and there was plenty of space for the luggage. There was a nice breakfast (mostly Japanese options but with some western food too, and good coffee). A coin-operated laundry room was much appreciated. An easy two-block walk from the station, with many restaurants, shopping centers, convenience stores, and tea houses in the neighborhood. My daughter speaks Japanese, but there did always seem to be someone at the desk with some English skills.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family