“No choice for non-smoking room and no wi-fi”

Aomori Washington Hotel
Ranked #17 of 50 Hotels / Ryokan in Aomori
San Francisco, California
“No choice for non-smoking room and no wi-fi”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

The hotel itself is fine - small but clean and efficient like many business hotels. Though I made the mistake of not reading the fine print that non-smoking/smoking preferences are based upon availability upon arriving, and the wi-fi is a Softbank paid service (LAN is free). Luckily we had a laptop with us but still surprised me because many of the other business hotels we stayed at during our stay had free Wi-Fi. At first I thought staying in a smoking room would be no big deal, we'll be out all day anyway and we'll get used to it, right? But unfortunately, I think the stale cigarette smoke smell did bother me enough to keep me from sleeping well. Except those two things, our stay was fine. The staff are nice enough. After we walked in drenched from a rainstorm, the front desk staff handed us towels to dry off, and when we headed out again, they lent us a strong umbrella. The location is great, down Amenity Street with a cover walkway (so grateful for it during the rain) plenty of convenience stores and restaurants. Don't miss the shrine with koi ponds midway between the hotel and the train station.

Room Tip: If you don't mind playing your chances for a smoking room, go for it.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
USA
Reviewed 1 May 2013 via mobile

I used this hotel as a crash pad during Golden Week. It's a reasonable (15 min) walk from the train station, mostly down a (the?) main shopping street, which makes for a pleasant walk. I got the smallest room, since it'd only serve as a place to store my bags during the day and sleep at night. It served well in that role, but it was very small. There was a hot water heater pad so that you could make tea, as well as a tea cup and a water *cough*whisky*cough* glass. The documentation referred to a fridge full of "breathe on it and we'll charge you for it" items, so I didn't discover until the second night that it was in fact empty, whereupon I promptly filled it with drinks from the combini down the street. TV channels are so limited (4-5) that you'll just leave it turned off, even if you speak Japanese. The bed is...okay. It's not great, but it's not out of line with the rent, either. The lights only work with your room key inserted into a slot inside the door...which is annoying if you want to let something charge overnight. It seems that one of the lights can't be turned off, except by removing your key and disabling everything (except, oddly, the TV), so charging your devices while you sleep is only possible if you can sleep with the light on. There's a great Italian place two blocks down (away from the water) with English on the menu, but the staff speak none. I suppose if you find yourself in Aomori, either you're used to pointing at the menu and grunting, or you speak Japanese. In either case, I recommend the place highly if you stay at the Washington Hotel.

• Stayed April 2013