“Yummy Restaurant on the way out East”
Review of Modern Snack Bar

Modern Snack Bar
Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in Aquebogue
Price range: US$10 - US$26
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Description: Located in the heart of North Fork Wine Country, the Modern Snack Bar has been the place to go for Great Home Cooking since 1950. Featuring Roast LI Duck, Sauerbraten, Prime Rib, Fresh Flounder, Soft Shell Crabs, and cool Lobster Salad. Enjoy Draft Beer, Local Wine, or a Classic Cocktail with your meal. Great Salads, Sandwiches, and Burgers too. Famous for their Mashed Turnips and Lemon Meringue Pie. Bring the Whole Family!
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We were starving on our way out East and saw this non-descript looking restaurant with a packed parking lot. We walked in and were brought back to the 50’s. We asked one of the “locals” what they recommended and ordered the duck—fresh from a local farm and turkey. Both were incredibly fresh and yummy. I had the chocolate cream pie with homemade whipped cream---wow was that great. It turns out this was one my friend’s favorite restaurants who has a summer place nearby. There was a reason why the parking lot was packed at lunchtime in late October. Duck was crispy and the Turkey had a great stuffing and gravy. We will be back. Ask the waitress for a taste of the mashed turnips-we did and then had them as a side dish---so so good and different. Service was fast and the waitresses were very friendly and knowledgeable.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

I need to confess I have childhood memories of this snack bar. Mom and Dad would send me and my brothers here with our older sister when they were going out on a Saturday night. In fact, I did my great catsup pack experiment here. How hard can you squeeze one of those packs before it bursts. Okay this was when I was ten and the packs were new! Of course, I ended up with catsup all over my white blouse and my younger non-scientifically inclined brothers howled. But enough about old times. Food has always been good. I go there a couple of times a summer now and the Reuben is terrific. Lobster salad is good and my husband reports the tuna melt is text book delicious. It is a step back in time and well worth a visit. I love the curtains!!

1  Thank Judgefoodie
Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

It's very retro... But the food was crap..hated it...I think people are attracted to the 5o's look...but it was really bad food...I will not return ...ever,...agAin the retro look is enticing...good luck!

1  Thank lovetoeatout75
Reviewed 17 August 2013

There is not much "modern" about this place but I mean that in a good way. Just a simple menu and table service with longtime waitresses. The tuna melt is all I ever get. Great sandwiches. Their pies are famous; at Thanksgiving they stack them by the dozens for pickup. They are also supposedly famous for their mashed turnips but my wife wasn't impressed. But - unless you came to the North Fork to eat turnips - I recommend the MSB highly.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Just an addendum to an earlier review.

Don't miss their fresh, home made pies for dessert. They are out of this world. Recent visit had me pigging out out Cherry Crumb Pie a la mode.

So, enjoy the soft shell crabs & save room for dessert!