“Soviet Old Style - but fun”
Review of Kazakhstan

Kazakhstan
Ranked #19 of 75 Hotels in Almaty
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Old style Soviet hotel, could do with a massive refurbishment. I understand some rooms have been updated, mine wasn't. Small room, old furniture, far too hot. I had to sleep with the window wide open in November!!! but basically clean. good Wi-Fi and my favorite touch in the room, a No Smoking sign, placed in an ashtray!! The architecture of the building is great. Location is also very good and easy to find as you can see the crown on top from a distance. Attached to the hotel is Guns and Roses night club, good for bad live rock music! also good noodles restaurant. Breakfast is a large buffet, not too bad

Reviewed 25 January 2014

Finding a good hotel whenever you are travelling abroad is always a difficult task. This Hotel i find is quite reasonable to stay. Breakfast was good and full of varieties. Good location and value for money

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank singhal_0096
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I have learnt a valuable lesson while staying at this hotel. Never trust your colleagues above trip advisor! It is truly the dirtiest, most disgusting hotel I have ever stayed at and will ever stay at.

I travel a far bit for work, and when I can for pleasure, and I have been to over 50 countries around the world and most of my stays are in 3 or 4 star hotels but this is without doubt the worst ever.

The omens were not good when before arriving I could not even access the hotel website, and things only got worse. When I arrived and they could not find my reservation! Despite me handing them the printed copy and so they charged me the full ‘walk up’ rate for the night, so we were off to a bad start but as it was 4am I did not have the energy to fight and just wanted my bed.

The initial impression of the hotel is OK, from outside it looks dated but is in decent condition, the lobby is designed to make an impact and again although dated it is OK. In the elevators you start to see some signs of decay and then when you walk out into the hallway it hits you! A carpet straight from the 70’s which looks like it has not been cleaned since 1979, covered in stains and marks.

Not good I think, but it is not the first hotel I have stayed in which had a bad carpet (although not this bad) and they turned out OK. But alas, my hopes were quickly dashed upon entering the room. The carpet here is the same style but in worse condition! Look at the traveller photos to see what I mean. Everywhere there are marks and stains which are truly disgusting and I could not walk around this room with no socks on!

The furniture is looking very old and dated and is also covered in stains, chips, marks etc. and is in a very bad condition. The bed linen and towels were however fine, and in fact the bathroom was not that bad although the shower was more a waterfall than a shower. The bed cover was however pure nylon, and when I got into bed and turned over I light up the room with the amount of static electricity I generated. A display that would have put the northern lights to shame!

Next morning in the daylight I could see even more how bad the room was, marks and stains on the walls, skirting boards falling off the way, Sellotape around the windows!
I was supposed to stay here for 11 nights but there was no way I could do that, so I checked out the next morning and arranged something else.

Staff were slow, inefficient and just did not care and could hardly speak English or understand those who did.

The hotel does apparently have some renovated rooms, but I am informed that they are reluctant to give them out! Yes, that’s a clever way of doing business.

Be aware of the fake reviews posted about this hotel on this and other review sites. They are easy to spot as they normally give 5 stars for every category (even my best ever review I did not give 5 stars on everything!), and the travellers have normally only ever been to Almaty and reviewed this hotel (sometimes in multiple languages) and the restaurants associated with the hotel.

Also ignore the official photos, they are only of the reception areas (from a few years ago by the looks of things), and of the few renovated rooms they have. Instead look at the traveller photos, they do not lie!

And whatever you do, never, ever stay in this hotel. Not even if THEY pay YOU, it is not worth it!

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel!
5  Thank Jason S
Reviewed 19 November 2013

The place really tells you the recent history of Kazakstan well! Massive building, grandeur lobby, but already lifts and corridors remeber the soviet times. I had to change the room (apartment paid by my hosts) because the first one had the safe which deprogramed itself and started making loud noises:). The second one (12th florr) was much better. It missed the propaganda book entitled "Dynamic Kazachstan' :) Obviously meant for more sceptical tourists...It does function like a regular brothel as it is part of its history. "Commandirovka" in Soviet era had a double meaning: "being delegated to do business" and delegated to another women. Disgusting but if you are not interested the staff will not bother you. Most of service (reception, security, waiters, waitresses seem to be under twenty and only few speak some English. Breakfasts are like massive dinners with 2 kinds of soups, salads, meats but even as a fruitarian I was very happy for 10 days which I cannot say about dinners there (meat, meat, sometimes fish no fresh vegetables).
The best thing there is in this wierd place is Thai Spa on the 7th floor. I had to make sure it is not part of the erotic relaxation business. I called them first and talked in Russian. I got the most professional massage in this part of the world. About 50 euro for an hour of really healthy action on your whole body! I guess the reception will help you if you only speak English.

Room Tip: 12th floor 1213 apartment
1  Thank arusil
Reviewed 26 October 2013

For what you pay a night you would expect at the very least for the TV to work and a functional bathroom. The hose on the shower head leaked so bad 50% of the water was lost before it left the shower head. Our TV didn't work and when we called for service a maid showed up to tell us the service was down in the block. Later that evening the TV repair man showed up and "tuned" the TV and fixed it in 30 mins. The room service was ok. No matter what the sides are on the menu, we always got mashed potatoes. Our mini bar was incomplete and they were trying to hit us up for the fees of the missing items that were never there to begin with. If you are staying in Almaty for an extended period, I highly recommend looking for apartments that you can rent by the day.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Robert W
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Although Kazakhstan is growing and developing, Hotel Kazakhstan's poor room standard is the same. They renovated most of the rooms but its really hard to get the comfort out of it. The bathrooms have really small sink. You can't even wash your face or shave without splashing water on the ground.The shower cabins are 15cm higher than the floor level. The carpets are dirty, lighting in the room is disturbing.
The breakfast is the old so called 'Improved' Soviet style.
BUT, unfortunately as it is one of the cheapest hotels in Almaty (120-250$), it is usually 70% full.

Room Tip: There is NO good room!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank TROPOSHFERE
Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

Pathetic hotel
Horrendous rooms
Absolutely no sense of hospitality (but then that is synonymous with all establishments in Kazakhstan)
Rude reception staff.. English is like a language of the aliens.

..and I did not even spend the night after checking in. It felt like a brothel inspite of its grandeur exterior and lobby.

• Stayed: September 2013