Berkana
US$83
US$80
All reviewssmall restaurantcomfortable hotelbedcitylocation
Reviewed 3 November 2011

If you are planning to stay for a while in Almaty I highy recommend this hotel due to the large size of the rooms which come with a large lounge room area in addition to the bedroom. The rooms arent luxurious but are comfortable enough. Wifi is available and good quality and free. The breakfasts served are modest, and if you want some laundry done allow 36 hours to have it returned. Also you will have to pay to have any clothes ironed and it isnt an option to do it yourself. The downsides to the hotel is that breakfast only starts at 8am so this is a little inconvenient, and no iron in the room is also a little inconvenient.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 July 2011

This place was comfortable and homey. It included a great spacious room, equipped with everything you need and even more (a phone in the wasroom!), an excellent yummy breakfast, prepared in front of you from the freshiest ingredients. I will definitely recommend this cosy B&B hotel, if you visit Almaty!

Room Tip: This place is ona very quiet street, so noise is not a problem
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 March 2011

I don't speak Russian, which is somewhat embarassing in a Russian speaking city, so having a clean friendly place to stay is very important to me, so I can relax at home.
I had suite 100, which has a large south facing balcony, seperate living room, foyer, and bedroom. A closet that locks, a huge bath tub, but not a jacuzzi. The bed is a little firm for my taste, but it is a comfortable bed, no sags, clean, no bed bugs, etc. I left my wallet out one day when I went to work, and it was still there, with nothing missing, when I came home that night. The breakfast is pretty basic, but the room is awesome, a large leather sofa, two easy chairs, large coffeetable, the dresser looks like it might be cherry wood. The bed is a King, with a huge ornate wood carved head and foot board..
It has minifridge, with beer, water, cognac, chocolate, cognac, and vodka. I brought in my own water, as it is cheaper, though they don't gouge you, and nobody complained.
The Silkway mall, with grocery store, drycleaner, etc, movie theatre, fast food court, is two blocks uphill away. Half way to the mall is the Firenze Italian restaurant, which has English menus, and decent food. One block down hill is an open air market on weekends, and walking through it leads you to a pedestrian mall, filled with work by local artisans.
They have finally installed street signs with both Russian and English letters, so non Russian speakers have a better chance of finding there way around.
I had a friend stay in one of the hotels mentioned on trip advisor, and he had someone climb onto his balcony and break into his room while sleeping, so I highly recommend keeping balcony doors locked at night.
I hope this helps

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank QCseismic
Reviewed 2 February 2010

Booked our hotel via email, and really did not know what to expect. When we arrived to Almaty and got to our hotel, it looked a bit simple on the outside and in the lobby (not the 5 star quality we were used to). But when we got to our room...all our worries were gone! VERY spacious, clean, and well-equipped rooms! AMAZING bathrooms...with jacuzzi no less AND an awesome shower! We had a King Size bed, which was very comfy.

Rooms were cleaned every day, and we also had breakfast at the hotel most mornings. They will make you eggs whichever way you want them and you also have a spread of other (mostly local) foods. There is also an adjacent restaurant, where we had a few great meals also!

The location was very convenient for us! Smack dab in the centre of the city and walking distance to most attractions. We actually enjoyed walking around for the most part...getting lost and finding our way back! You can ask for a map of downtown at the reception.

Overall, it was a great stay!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank StyleBlog
Reviewed 29 July 2009

Kazakhstan was our last stop on a 3 week 4 country vacation. I must say that I did not know what to expect. I found the the information on the internet on hotels in Almaty limited. After searching online we found the Hotel Berkana in our price range (~$150 Canadian per night).

Rooms
Our room was large. It had a balcony, air conditioning, cable tv, phone, hairdryer, and a 3 head shower. I particular liked the bathroom. It was clean and looked newly renovated.

Restaurant
The hotel had a small restaurant in the basement. Since our stay included breakfast we ate there every morning. For dinner and lunch we ate outside the hotel as there are many good restaurant around. There was one just down the street that we enjoyed the most (sorry we forgot the name).

Location
It is located in central Almaty. It is near public transportation (buses and streetcar) but we chose to walk most of the time or take taxis. We felt safe all the time.

Staff
The hotel staff was very nice and friendly. I don't speak Russian so it was nice that most spoke at least a little English.

In summary, we were both happy with our stay.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple