“Worthy of its 5 stars”

Ranked #2 of 72 Hotels in Almaty
Budapest, Hungary
“Worthy of its 5 stars”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2013

Superb hotel for working in Almaty. Concur with others who commented favorably on the comfort, food quality, generous portions, outstanding breakfast, friendly and helpful staff and design / beauty and maintenance of the establishment.

Hope to stay there again on my next visit.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Makhmut Z, Director of Rooms and Guest Relations at Rixos Almaty, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Dear Ehofer,

We are thrilled to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and most importantly that you were impressed by the level of service our team provided. We will certainly share your review with our whole staff.

Once again, we do thank you for choosing Rixos Almaty as your favorite place to stay and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Director of Rooms and Guest Relations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

In Kazakhstan the choices you have for hotels are limited especially if you are looking for hotels that are of international standards of 4/5 stars. You also pay a ridiculously high price for that. With supply being limited and demand high, I don’t see the prices for hotels changing anytime soon in Almaty. In my opinion the best option to stay in Almaty is the Rixos Hotel. For your money it is a better value than the Intercontinental and the Rahat (which was formerly the Hyatt), which are in the same price range.

The Rixos Hotel offers comfortable rooms that are well maintained. The hotel has a spacious lobby (and that is an understatement) that features a lounge that is open 24 hours and to the side of it is a bar that has nightly life entertainment. For those that like to fit in a workout the hotel has a small but well equipped gym. Service here would be considered inconsistent. When they are good they are one top of the game and customer service goes above and beyond. When they fall short which can happen easily it is frustrating as no one wants to take ownership of the problem and resolve your problem for you.

The hotel is in a central location where nearby you can walk to a supermarket (called Stolichny which is open 24 hours) and many cafes.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Missynat1125
Makhmut Z, Director of Rooms and Guest Relations at Rixos Almaty, responded to this review, 20 May 2013
Dear Missynat1125,

Your lovely “Guest Review Comments” arrived recently made our day!

We are extremely pleased to read that you had a great experience with us and found our rooms, F&B outlets, Spa facilities and location to your satisfaction and especially great value for money. We strive to make the experience at Rixos Almaty Hotel one our guests will remember forever.

Our hotel takes great care in selecting its personnel. Once selected, employees are given intensive training in the art of coddling customers. However, your comments about service inconsistency and ownership are very important to us and will be the first step towards improvement of our services.

We look forward to your next visit and thank you very much indeed for taking the time to share your comments on Tripadvisor.

Sincerely Yours,

Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2013

Without a doubt, this is a very elegant hotel with nice style and friendly staff.

I spend a lot of time on road, usually due to my business, and usually in good hotels.
Certain things that may seem very minor for someone who travels few times a year, may become increasingly important for me.

One of them being the accuracy of given data, other one the reservation, check in and check out process.

During our short stay, the hotel was hosting international event with high security requirements. The increased security measures were well noted to me before arrival. Due to earlier experiences with similar situations in different hotels around the world, I wanted to make sure there won't be any extreame measures in force. I was told with few examples that this would not be the case.
On arrival, our transportation was stopped at the gate and we had to walk and carry our luggage to the hotel. Not a long trip at all for a person with normal mobility, but still... Then we had to pass the metal detector and after that we all had to open our luggage for a hand search. The last part was something I was not expecting at all, and my female colleague found this very disturbing.

Then, on check in, my reservation was not there. Luckily they had enough rooms available. On checkout, there was an extra charge of half day introduced to my bill with out any reason. After 10 min of explanation this was cleared.

Few days later I noticed that addition to the correct ammount, my credit card had been charged an extra night for a period that I was not even present in the hotel.

I did contact the hotel right away, and at the moment they are investigating the double billing. Everyone has been very helpful and polite, so I expect this to end satisfactorly.

So again, a nice hotel, but some time consuming and frustrating details along the way.
Therefore the Very Good overall rating fell down to Average, considering the expected standard and the price.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Stowmarket, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013

I loved this hotel when I visited in September 2012, but my return business trip in March 2013 wasn't quite so successful. The room was beautiful again - although I wasn't given the option of a non-smoking room and I was therefore quite unhappy to be given a relatively smelly room!! I used the pool this time, which was wonderful, and the restaurant was very nice for breakfast. The atrium is incredible, and perfect for meetings. The problem with the hotel this time was that my experience was very much coloured by the awful transport from the airport!! I booked and paid for it through the hotel, and both times it was a minibus (for the same price in September I had a lovely car). Kazakh drivers are quite different from the UK - lots of driving extremely fast and then braking hard. The first driver did this a lot, it was very uncomfortable and he was quite an aggressive driver. When I returned to the airport, the minibus was making quite horrendous metallic scraping noises when the brake was applied. The driver was obviously slightly concerned - he made a phone call when it first started, but it didn't affect his driving behaviour. I genuinely thought that the brakes might fail. I did ask him if there was a problem but he refused to accept that there might be a problem. It was quite scary and given the cost of the transfer and the cost of the hotel, it would have been nice to have had a bit more of a 'business-quality' transfer.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Makhmut Z, Director of Rooms and Guest Relations at Rixos Almaty, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Dear noplacelikehome12,

First of all, we would like to thank you very much indeed for taking the time to share your impressions and communicate your concerns regarding your recent stay at Rixos Almaty. And most importantly to apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced.

We are sincerely sorry that your recent business visit did not reflect the high standards that we set for our hotel. Our goal is to always exceed our guests’ expectations.

We have forwarded your comments to the head of transport services department and have taken all necessary steps to correct the problem.

We regret that we failed to provide you a non smoking room and again please accept our apologies.

We are nonetheless delighted to hear you had overall a very nice stay and enjoyed the comfort of the room, Spa facilities and breakfast.

We hope that you will consider staying at Rixos Almaty again so that we may show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known.

Sincerely Yours,

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

Hi,

I had stayed in your hotel years ago during a business trip. I can’t remember when exactly.

Since then, I keep receiving birthday cards every year on my birthday, signed and sent by the same lady. I just received another one again, 2 weeks ago on my birthday.

Not only receiving the card every year is important, but also, the fact that there is a lady’s signature at the bottom, makes it more valuable and personal, creates a bond between the customer and the brand.

I have stayed in around 100 different hotels for the last 4 years, mostly international chains, the only thing that I receive from them is discounts, beter rooms and free F&B products, when I am physically within the hotel premises. When I step out of the door, guest relations end.

But sending birthday wishes years and years after the stay is very impressive.

Well done. Bravo.

Miss Merve Yaylaci

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Makhmut Z, Director of Rooms and Guest Relations at Rixos Almaty, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
Dear Ms. Merve Yaylaci,

We are always pleased to receive praise and acknowledgment of such a positive nature. It is truly rewarding when our Guest recognizes our staff’s efforts and takes the time to say thank you.

Your comments will be shared with our Guest Relations entire staff, as reinforcement to continue their efforts to make the Rixos Almaty a leader in excellence.

Goychay, Azerbaijan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2013

I've stayed in a number of hotels in Almaty and I do believe that this is the best option.

The staff are VERY helpful and attentive. WiFi is both free and very strong in this hotel.

The design of the open lobby with it's large atrium is very welcoming and the rooms are of an excellent standard. Though I don't feel there are enough restaurant options there is an extensive room service menu which is excellent. The bathrooms have heated floors which is a very nice touch and overall the facilities are also as expected in this type of hotel. It is also very well located within Almaty.

If it is your first visit I strongly recommend Rixos Almaty.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank daymannightman
Makhmut Z, Director of Rooms and Guest Relations at Rixos Almaty, responded to this review, 27 March 2013
Dear Daymannightman,

First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing Rixos Almaty as your accommodations of choice when you visit Almaty.

We constantly strive to deliver excellent service to our guests that is why receiving your feedback is a pleasure for us as it is a chance to know how we can improve further and be proud of our product and service.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

I had a wonderful stay at Rixos Almaty.
The staff was welcoming you with open arms and always with a smile. The staff will always give the little extra to make your stay perfect. What ever I needed help with, the staff did their up most to arrange it.

The entrance is extraordinary, spacious with a lobby located in the middle where you can relax with a drink with friends. I also sat here to work, which was comfortable. Also having small business meetings are suitable in the lobby.

The breakfast was impressive, with broad variety of hot and cold food. The restaurant is spacious and the staff is polite and always at your service.

Rooms were big enough to work, study and relax. The choices of TV channels were broad and the internet access was pleasing. The Room was comfortable and clean, with great equipment. The bathroom was magnificent, with heated floor and waterfall shower.

My favourite feature of the hotel was the SPA, it had a wonderful swimming pool, magnificent gym and a huge SPA with various sauna’s and massages.

In addition, Rixos Almaty is located close to the airport and walking distance to many fine restaurants. Shopping centres are located no more then 5 minutes from the Hotel, with car. Also smaller shopping centres are within walking distance.

Overall, the stay was excellent; I had a great stay and felt welcome and at home. I highly recommend this hotel and I will most definitely come back.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Makhmut Z, Director of Rooms and Guest Relations at Rixos Almaty, responded to this review, 20 March 2013
Dear Cpt_tautra,

Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to leave such an excellent 5 star review!

We love your “Excellent - Wonderful” title and often have comments about our friendly personalized service and our location makes our guests’ stay very convenient from arrival to departure.

We are also extremely pleased to read that you found our spacious lobby, a broad variety of hot and cold food for breakfast and modern SPA facilities to your satisfaction.