“Heaven in Almaty”

Ranked #5 of 72 Hotels in Almaty
Washington, DC
“Heaven in Almaty”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

After a three taxi affair to Almaty from Bishkek, we arrived at D'Rami tired and a little frazzled. However, the hosts overwhelmed us with the hospitality and help. Within minutes, they had offered us a drink, printed out our flights for the next day, organized an early taxi, given us dinner recommendations, and showed us to our awesome room. In addition, the hotel is perfectly located in an upscale area, close to Aroma, which had excellent Kazakh tea, and a street food stall with outstanding plov. We would highly recommend this place to anyone wanting a clean, modern room, with an attentive staff.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank therealngugi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

The hotel was exceptionally clean and modern. room was a bit tight in size but adequate. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Couple of downs are rooms are literally in the lobby as there are only four. Although it was not generally an issue if it was busy outside the door it was a bit noisy. Most of the time it was not an issue. It is also a private back entrance with no identification visible from the main road. The hotel picked me up at the airport so they took me staright there. A taxi I used had to be given directions to get there. they can always call the hotel for directions so not that big of a deal. I would recomend this if in town a day or two.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Lisa M
Slovenia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2012

This is a small flat, kept clean, with firendly staff , but far from hotel - they are in fact nice hostel! They should advertise like this . And than they would be OK.
Except nice location and relatively frienddly staff it is not for recommendation !

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Flycatcher69
Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2012

D'Rami is a minihotel: 4 rooms in a converted apartment on the second floor of a residential building (note that in Kazakhstan the ground floor is called the first floor, so although D'Rami is on the 3rd officially, you only need to climb two floors - no elevator). It's brand new, opened in spring 2012, and the design of each room is stylish and pleasant. 2 rooms have ensuite bathroom, the other 2 share a bathroom next to the 24-hour reception. In the rooms you have flatscreen TV with quite a few channels in several languages, minibar with some drinks and snacks, workdesk, really good and reliable wifi, comfortable beds. The bathrooms are stocked with dental kit, sewing kit, comb... the little things you may forget. I stayed there 3 nights, the first in an economy room without bathroom, the next two in an ensuite room behind the shared bathroom. Actually, although the added comfort of a bathroom was nice, I slept better in the first room, because I'm very sensitive to noise and woke up a few times when another guest turned on the light and the electric fan in the shared bathroom next door. I guess I could have got used to it eventually (the second night was better). This was the only slight discomfort for me, otherwise D'Rami is a delightful place to stay. It's a good location, walking distance to anywhere in central Almaty, there is a good supermarket at the corner, it's in a pleasant disctrict, and the owners are the nicest, friendliest people imaginable. They speak good English and are very helpful. During my stay, I wanted to do a trip to Tamgaly Tas: since there were no organised tours available that day, they took me there (it's a two hour drive one way, partly on a dirt road), brought a picnic lunch, and we spent a really nice day together, so if I could, I would give more than 5 stars for service. It's not cheap by European standards, but none of the good hotels are Kazakhstan are, so I think they offer good value for money. I would definitely stay in D'Rami again (actually I hope I will) and would recommend it to others.

Room Tip: I personally would choose the ensuite room that looks over the Ablay Khan avenue next time.