All reviewshorseback ridingchyulu hillsthe managersgame drivesguide jameslanding stripa special placebush breakfastmorning ridean experienced riderevery guesthours watchingfirst stoptheir effortsfabulous stayfantastic wildlifeunique experience
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Lovely rooms. Loved the outdoor shower. Great food among the best we have had in Aftrica safari camps.

A lot of activities to choose from. We enjoyed the horse rides. We experienced even a bike ride which was amazing. Took a visit to the Caves and the Hills.

The staff try hard to please. The barman made top class drinks. Overall a very memorable stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2012

As everyone has mentioned before, the room itself is beautiful and the architecture is quite special, in that there are no walls in your bedroom. It does make you feel like you're a part of all of the wildlife (we heard a lion's roar pretty clearly, to the point where we couldn't swear that it wasn't outside our window)

Our guide was fantastic- really nice, keen to please, but also really interesting. Oddly, this was the only time on our trip to Africa where we had some service misses at the lodge. Our second night they forgot to make up our room, and we had asked to have the star bed made up, and they had forgotten. Since there is no easy mode of communication from the room we didn't say much, I'm sure if we had, they would have been very nice about it. I think in a small property, you really do want to get the little things right, though these are really small nits.

Otherwise, the lodge staff had fantastic food (the best on our trip!), catered a dinner under the stars for us, and were generally very friendly and wonderful. Overall thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Traveler31782
Reviewed 6 September 2012

We just spend a weekend with good friends in this more than beautifull lodge...the lodge is situated about 45 mins flight from Wilson Airport...
The lodge is situated against South facing low mountain range, by clear wheather the "shy mountain" the Kilimanjaro is clearly visible. We were well received by the lodge manager and his staff with welcome drinks and clear explinations on the various activities that the lodge offers...
This part of the private property adjacent to the Amboseli National Parc is more quiet on animals
here and there some Giraffes/impalas/ our friend elephant TOM for the big 5 you have to drive more then an hour to the Amboseli Park...
The Lodge offers plenty activities to keep your day active or simply stay at the lodge being pampered by the nice staff..
We opted for the Donyo hill and the Caves both nice discovering activities...
The bar area as also the lounge areas are spacious with comfortable lounge chairs, attentive service and the beautifull views... A sundowner after a game drive is a welcome coktail before the excellent dinner...
We enjoed evry single minute of our stay....

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 August 2012

I visited Ol Donyo with a friend in June 2012. I recommend it highly.

I heard Ol Donyo was luxurious. The luxury of Ol Donyo is quite astonishing. Beautiful fittings in the bathroom, an outdoor shower deck, a bed set up on the roof at your request, always a barman near the bar and fantastic food. I stayed in a ‘standard’ room and it was by no means standard.

I chose Ol Donyo for the riding and loved the horses and the terrain. I rode Maringu who was the smoothest horse I’ve ever ridden. In addition, the terrain around the lodge is amazingly free of holes and gullies, so it was easy to relax while cantering through the forest and over the plain. This was particularly lovely when running with the giraffes, zebra, hartebeest, gazelle, impala…

My friend is a non-rider but she was able to take a relaxing ride across the plain and enjoy getting close to the wildlife. She agreed that seeing game from a horse is a unique experience. I encourage everyone to give it a try.

For non-riders, you can also hike up Ol Donyo mountain (I chose to take it easier and rode Maringu). My friend biked with the fantastic Maasai guide Daniel K. He took her to the plain so he could keep an eye out for lions, just in case.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank allisonlaux
Reviewed 13 August 2012

I had a chance to enjoy one of the Deluxe Suites and I just didn't want to leave. Room was clean, stylish, and view was to die for! Sadly, rainy season kept me from enjoying the Star Bed but I now have a reason to return :)

Food was delicious and varied, staff was attentive, and time just flew by so that I felt cheated out of experiencing the game viewing blind, shared pool (though I was digging my private plunge pool), and a relaxing breakfast at the lodge (flight issues, not lodge issues).

I did, however, have a Most Excellent horse ride to a bush breakfast, a hike through the lava tubes, and two wonderful sundowners. If people are in to horse riding this is a great place to give it a go. You can do a short morning ride (like my friend and I did), or you can do a multi-day ride (based on your abilities). They will take you to the stable to meet the horses and show off your skills in the yard before setting out. You will LOVE this!

Room Tip: This is important: There are standard rooms and there are deluxe rooms. Be sure if you want to enjoy the extra benefits of a deluxe room that you ask your agent specifically for that. They're not mind readers (I think mind readers, palm readers, and bus boys make more money), and most people will default to the standard rooms based on price.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends