All reviews horseback riding chyulu hills the managers game drives guide james landing strip a special place bush breakfast morning ride an experienced rider every guest hours watching first stop their efforts fabulous stay fantastic wildlife unique experience
Reviewed 9 November 2012

Ol Donyo is so special , I spent four days here with my daughters for their 18 th birthday , from the moment we arrived we felt at home , We were picked up by Jeremiah our guide and now friend , who always went the full nine yards to enhance our stay , the views from the lodge are fabulous , all the staff are very helpful and friendly , and David is always on hand to maximise your time or be a super supper companion , I have been most fortunate to travel to many luxury hotels and Ol donyo has to be one of the best, really did not want to leave !

Room Tip: Only 10 lodges ,all fantastic with super views .
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Mich7777-12
Reviewed 3 November 2012

I really thought this was our get acclimated to Africa stop but it was so much more. Infrastructure was all you see in the pictures, just better.We were a group of eight and no room was better than the other, just different. Even the shop was excellent...would have bought more but thought we'd see better prices and items (and never did)!
But the ultimate experience were the people. The two guides we had, Jackson and Dan, were very different but superb in their own way. I encourage everyone to engage them and get to know them. I learned so much about their culture, their aspirations, their country...
David, the manager was engaging and made sure of all our needs were taken care off.
Two recommendations- take advantage of the star beds (can't put my finger on it except to say unforgettable). If you ride horses, practice before you go (wish I had because I have not seen more beautiful riding country in my life)! And there is no added cost to it...
We added a visit to the Masai village- it was amazing and tough at the same time but no one should leave this continent without a similar experience. Our guides set up an incredible sundowner before arriving back to the lodge- it allowed us all the time to share our thoughts.
In closing, what better recommendation than to say that I yearn to return...

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lulanne
Reviewed 20 October 2012

the owners of this place are famous National Geographic photographers and writers. Their art and books are all over the place. There is a watering hole out front of the property and you can just sit and watch the elephants and giraffe come and go all day without going anywhere. each room has its own private pool with a view of a watering hole. even the bird show is amazing. AND if the bed and rooms aren't stunning enough, your BUTLER will come and make you a STAR BED on top of your roof complete with mosquito netting as many nights as you want (included in price of stay). AND if that's not enough, there is free horseback riding for beginners or advanced! the service was truly impeccable and the food to match! GOOD JOB OL DONYO!!
oh, and i forgot to mention the private secret elephant viewing patio down the path. that was my favorite thing of all, to sit and watch old "Tore Ear" the elephant like he was my own private pet!

Room Tip: they are all great. maybe ask for one closer to the main lodge so you don't have to walk as far to get to dinner, etc.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank audballa
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Lovely rooms. Loved the outdoor shower. Great food among the best we have had in Aftrica safari camps.

A lot of activities to choose from. We enjoyed the horse rides. We experienced even a bike ride which was amazing. Took a visit to the Caves and the Hills.

The staff try hard to please. The barman made top class drinks. Overall a very memorable stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2012

As everyone has mentioned before, the room itself is beautiful and the architecture is quite special, in that there are no walls in your bedroom. It does make you feel like you're a part of all of the wildlife (we heard a lion's roar pretty clearly, to the point where we couldn't swear that it wasn't outside our window)

Our guide was fantastic- really nice, keen to please, but also really interesting. Oddly, this was the only time on our trip to Africa where we had some service misses at the lodge. Our second night they forgot to make up our room, and we had asked to have the star bed made up, and they had forgotten. Since there is no easy mode of communication from the room we didn't say much, I'm sure if we had, they would have been very nice about it. I think in a small property, you really do want to get the little things right, though these are really small nits.

Otherwise, the lodge staff had fantastic food (the best on our trip!), catered a dinner under the stars for us, and were generally very friendly and wonderful. Overall thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple