“Conned”
Review of Kibo Safari Camp

Kibo Safari Camp
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Unfortunately, my experience with this Lodge is quite regrettable!!! In the spirit of promoting local tourism, one of the sales Agent planned a group trip to the camp. I was asked to pay via Mpesa (still have the message with me) and no receipt was ever received. My Friend, Sister and i were quite excited to visit Amboseli. Transport was organised from Nairobi to the camp and all was well. Unfortunately on arrival we were asked to share a tent with my sister, which was fine but should have been communicated before as when we paid no specifications of tents was raised. The tent we were given did not have hot water so we had to shower in a different tent ad the proble culd not be fixed. As i got to interact with other travellers, i realised that they were all travel agents who had been invited to the camp for free, and we were the only outsiders who had paid. On raising queries on how this was possible to the camp manager, He was surprised to hear me say that i had paid the sales agent (whose name i won't mention here) as he confirmed no money had been recieved by the camp. The camp manager and his collegue reassured me that they were going to investigate and get back to me beacause as far as they knew, no one in the group had paid any money to Kibo they took my contacts and up to now i am still waiting for their response. After a week i called the Nairobi office and raised my complain with the Marketing manager who promised to look into the matter and get back to me (still waiting...) It has been over two months and i realised that the sales agent organise camp visits with tour operators for marketing purposes an in the process target innocent locals wishing to 'Tembea Kenya', charge them a reduced fee (but the money never gets to the camp/hotels owners) but pocket the money and include you with the tour operators but they share the spoils with the relevant people as i realised my issue was never going to be addressed as the people i complained to were complises. I would not recommend this camp to any traveller as you might be one of the innocent traveller being conned like me without your knowledge. I feel sorry for Camp owner.... no wonder businesses collapse

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Sly I

Reviewed 17 July 2014

A perfect weekend getaway I must say.I went to Kibo with a 'bus' of friends last weekend(Saturday 12th-Sunday13th July 2014).Something about that place that I can't really put in words but I felt peaceful,relaxed and in touch with the wild;from the game drives,to the Maasai cultural dances...and to the wonderful cuisine(I looked forward to meal times,always!)...

Kibo blends in with nature perfectly from the wonderful scenery around,Bush tents,starry skies,Ballast paved footpaths,Kilimanjaro.So much to add that I might go down to the staff themselves.The night at the bonfire was downright awesome!(There's nothing fun about a big huge fire,only guys sitting round it socializing,telling stories,conversing,making jokes,makes it an experience worth having.)Being that booted in the wild even just for a moment makes you forget that Nairobi exists.And your job.And your responsibilities.et al...

Anyway,if you are looking forward to an adventure somewhere in the wild,somewhere far,please consider kibo...or at least have it on your checklist.Really enjoyed my stay here and I'm planning to come back again maybe this time alone and not with a 'bus'full of noisy grown-ups!!....
P.S...Guys,stick to reviewing Kibo Safari Camp and not 'Reviewing' Gadise.Yap.Byebye...!!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Trevor K
KIBOTEAM, Manager at Kibo Safari Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Thank you for taking time to write a review,we appreciate your good comment,especially where you have said about the natural surrounding,that is where we pride ourselves as a very unique camp set with out disturbing the natural fragile ecosystem which as you know is a UNESCO declared area.We are sure you shall share your experience with others and very much hope to see you again.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Initially, my travel agent had booked me into another lodge, and I was somewhat concerned about why they changed the location of my stay at Amboseli; however, my concerns quickly disappeared as I was greeted with warmth and genuine hospitality right from the start of my stay. The staff were incredibly attentive, welcoming, and efficient, and really served to enhance the overall experience. Gadise in particular, exemplified everything that someone in the tourism industry should strife to be. She personally checked in with me and chatted with me about my safari as well as my overall experience at Kibo Safari Camp, she actively sought feedback regarding how the camp can provide even better service, she offered great personal insight about Kenya and it's diverse culture, and she was legitimately concerned about my well-being, even going so far as to help me contact my driver to arrange an earlier pick up time at my request. The bar staff were friendly and efficient, the rooms where spacious and clean, the food was delicious, and the views of Kilimanjaro were impeccable, weather permitting. My only suggestion would be to offer either wifi or to provide guests with access to a few computers with Internet access.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
KIBOTEAM, Manager at Kibo Safari Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Thank you for taking time to write a review,we appreciate your positive comments and certainly hope to see you again with friends,the kibo team is so glad that we delivered everything to your full satisfaction.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

The best service, very good and fresh food, very clean and value of everything.
A very nice pool area with a spa, the bar attendant Morris, is extremely courteous and efficient.
The Camp has a vegetables garden...for any family or group safari this will be ideal place to stay.

Room Tip: the New tent rooms are classy
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
KIBOTEAM, Manager at Kibo Safari Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thanks so much for your wonderful review. We are so thrilled to know that you loved our Kibo Safari Camp naturally, as much as we do! Come back and see us again soon

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Awesome service, friendly and very helpful staff, food is fresh and with variety, Tents are comfortable while Eco friendly..Stunning views of Mount Kilimanjaro from the comfort of your tent. Perfect place for the leisure and business traveller with accommodative prices to suit every pocket..

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your lovely review - we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope you will visit us again.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I visited Kibo Safari Camp together with our clients on the 28-29th.We had an awesome moment and a night like never before.To begin with the reception we got was very nice,they made feel at home.There hospitality was awesome,food finger licking all thru,Masai Dance at the bon fire was a thrill.Accommodation was fantastic,clean and quite.We really enjoyed there service and highly recommend it.Lastly but not least we highly appreciate one of there staff,a lady Gadise Negussie,she was so nice and took good care of us and ensured our stay was comfortable.I would rate Kibo Safari Camp as a 5 star Hotel.

Room Tip: If you visit Kibo Safari Camp,you can check in room 12 or 18 they are spacious,clean and quite
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you very much for your most helpful review - we thoroughly enjoyed having you to stay with us.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Our reception was remarkable: met with refreshing hot towels and ice cold lemonade! Extremely helpful staff. Tents are luxurious: two single beds each enclosed in its own mosquito net; shower and washroom in the tent separated into a room behind the sleeping area. Beautiful rough hewn solid wood furniture. This is what I call camping. My sister and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Thorough explanations given about dining, lights out and other procedures. I noted a fire extinguisher attached in a tree (very safety conscious). I did not see any monkeys (we were warned about them and suggested to keep the tent zippered up) . Absolutely seamless process. All delicious meals included as well as a boxed lunch for the journey home.

Maasai dancers entertained. Mount Kilimanjaro was visible in the early morning.

Would we come again? IN A HEARTBEAT!! Thanks for the memorable stay.

Room Tip: This was early winter in Kenya: bring a sweater. Slept like logs!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
KIBOTEAM, Manager at Kibo Safari Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review - we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us,and appreciated all that we have to offer in such unique location,kindly share this with all your friends and look forward to having you back again at Kibo one day. Have a Great summer back home as we slip in to our winter.