“Perfect start to the safari” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kibo Safari Camp

Kibo Safari Camp
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Perfect start to the safari”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We started our safari adventure with Amboselli, and had 2 night stay in Kibo. The location is great, barely 1 km to the park gates. The camp itself is slightly small but gorgeously maintained. Tents are basic (even ours, which was a luxury tent apparently) but spacious. I found the "open toilet" bit a little weird especially since I was sharing the tent with 2 others, but apart from that no issues at all. Two sinks, a giant mirror and an individual insect net for each bed. There's no electricity during the day, but the timings are fixed so plan to do all your charging accordingly. Food is great and there are plenty of options for vegetarians as well. And if there aren't, the staff will insist on preparing something special for the table, which was very lovely of them. The service is great, and make sure you head to the restaurant half an hour earlier than the beginning of dinner, as the waiters perform a lively dance and we're all invited to join in!

Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank mriiidula
KIBOTEAM, Manager at Kibo Safari Camp, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you for such a “Gorgeous” review. We are very happy to see how much you have enjoyed your stay with us, and that you liked the spacious tents with the “giant mirrors”. We are thrilled that you enjoyed the food and that our employees were able to meet your expectations and you found them highly attentive.
Once again, thank you for writing the review, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

For those of you who are scared at the idea of sleeping in a tent I can only say that sleeping at Kibo Safari camp has been one of the most beautiful experiences in my life. The tents are clean, absolutely no bugs. And in any event the bed has a bug net. Also, during my whole stay at Amboseli, I have only seen one mosquito, so I really wouldn't worry about that. I can't explain the beauty of waking up, opening the tent, and seeing a group of monkeys playing just in front of it. At night, when the light goes out, you can hear the animals walking by and the monkeys on the veranda. The pictures taken by the hotel managers are absolutely faithful, actually in all honesty the tents look even better when you are there.
The staff is efficient and kind, couldn't be nicer. When we first got in the tent the toilet didn't flush too well. We pointed this out and they manage to fix the pump while we were having lunch! went back to the tent and everything was ok.
Last but not least, the food is amazing! the best food I have had during my whole stay in Kenya. Also, I would like to point out, before going to Kenya my plan was "eat nothing to avoid getting sick". I had to change my mind after the first lunch at Kibo. The food was so tasty and everything perfectly clean.

Room Tip: Choose tents on the cheetah run, which is further away from reception. The tents here are new and yo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
KIBOTEAM, Manager at Kibo Safari Camp, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you so much Michela for taking the time to write such a great review. We were delighted to read your thoughtful notes, and we were so pleased that you enjoyed the entire experience at kibo safari camp.
We sincerely appreciate your kind praises about the tents, the wilderness experience, the cuisine and the quality of service extended by our staff.
It was great pleasure having you with us, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to our Camp in the near future.
Eymet, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed here for a couple of nights, lovely tented camp, very clean and spacious tents with ensuite bathrooms and great terrace, food was buffet style, but nice, staff very helpful especially Duncan. Had a lovely massage which after a week of safari was very welcome. Electricity is on from 5 in the morning until 8 then 6 in the evening to around 11, plenty of sockets in the room as well. Watch out about relying on using your cards for payments, the machines don't always work!

Rooms
      Cleanliness
KIBOTEAM, Manager at Kibo Safari Camp, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thank you for taking time to us a review, we appreciate your good comment. We are glad you enjoyed your massage at kibo Safari Camp. We pride ourselves on genuine cuisine prepared in traditional bush-style with high quality, tasty, fresh products “buffet style”. Hope to see you again at Kibo Safari Camp.
Paris, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

I liked the tents very much, very luxurious setting for a safari camp, very nice, polite and effient staff, nice fire at night, view on the Kilimandjaro and the Amboseli Park
BUT the food is the most disgusting and poor food I had ever...only frozen items, served cold, deserts are a shame ..with my friends we joked about it because we could not believe it.....

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank PETRAKIS75
KIBOTEAM, Manager at Kibo Safari Camp, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Greetings from Kibo Safari Camp!

Thank you for taking time to write us a review. We appreciate your good comments and hope you enjoyed your stay at Kibo Safari Camp and the services offered to you by our friendly staff.
Am sorry the food didn’t meet your expectations. As we pride ourselves on giving the best; please advise what you’d like to see improved or added to our menu. Your suggestions will be highly appreciated.
Nairobi, Nairobi Area, Kenya
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Halooo Great Friends!!
I visited the Kibo Luxurious Safari Camp and they still offer Excellent and First Class Services. Food, Services, Cleanliness etc!!!
When visiting Amboseli Park in Kenya, kindly book your Accommodation at the Kibo Luxurious Safari Camp.
Cheers!!!

Room Tip: Ask for the New Tents!!! Marvelous!!!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Gamewonders
KIBOTEAM, Manager at Kibo Safari Camp, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you so much for such a Excellent review and we appreciate the very thoughtful description of our Camp.
We are thrilled to know that you have loved the Camp, the tent, the food, and most importantly, our services.
It was a complete privilege having you with us, and we are all looking forward to welcoming you back to our Camp in the near future.
Thrissur, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

This hotel is a nice place to stay. It is important to note that the accommodation is in tents but it is comfortable with all essential amenities. However it is to be mentioned there is no electricity at night from about 11 pm to 6 am or so. So if you need to charge anything or have any need for electricity at that time, you will have to go the reception where they have emergency power. However this need not be considered a deterrent - this doesn't take away the charm of the place. The hotel staff are good.

Room Tip: Insist on one of the rooms from 1 to 12. Those seem to better.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
KIBOTEAM, Manager at Kibo Safari Camp, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you so much for writing us such a Good review. We are very thrilled to know how much you have loved the Camp.
Thank you for sharing with us your experience and we are very looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Nairobi, Kenya
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Unfortunately, my experience with this Lodge is quite regrettable!!! In the spirit of promoting local tourism, one of the sales Agent planned a group trip to the camp. I was asked to pay via Mpesa (still have the message with me) and no receipt was ever received. My Friend, Sister and i were quite excited to visit Amboseli. Transport was organised from Nairobi to the camp and all was well. Unfortunately on arrival we were asked to share a tent with my sister, which was fine but should have been communicated before as when we paid no specifications of tents was raised. The tent we were given did not have hot water so we had to shower in a different tent ad the proble culd not be fixed. As i got to interact with other travellers, i realised that they were all travel agents who had been invited to the camp for free, and we were the only outsiders who had paid. On raising queries on how this was possible to the camp manager, He was surprised to hear me say that i had paid the sales agent (whose name i won't mention here) as he confirmed no money had been recieved by the camp. The camp manager and his collegue reassured me that they were going to investigate and get back to me beacause as far as they knew, no one in the group had paid any money to Kibo they took my contacts and up to now i am still waiting for their response. After a week i called the Nairobi office and raised my complain with the Marketing manager who promised to look into the matter and get back to me (still waiting...) It has been over two months and i realised that the sales agent organise camp visits with tour operators for marketing purposes an in the process target innocent locals wishing to 'Tembea Kenya', charge them a reduced fee (but the money never gets to the camp/hotels owners) but pocket the money and include you with the tour operators but they share the spoils with the relevant people as i realised my issue was never going to be addressed as the people i complained to were complises. I would not recommend this camp to any traveller as you might be one of the innocent traveller being conned like me without your knowledge. I feel sorry for Camp owner.... no wonder businesses collapse

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends