“Amazing experience!”

Ocean Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Malindi
Reviewed 17 May 2014

My husband and I were here recently and we enjoyed every minute of it. The rooms are clean, tidy and spacious. The staff, from the concierge staff to the waiting staff, catered to us very well. The chef personally came to ask if we'd enjoyed our food! (Of course we did.) I had a facial and a pedi done and I was very impressed. I have to revisit this amazing resort with my family. Well done guys. Keep those standards high.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Warukira M

Reviewed 10 May 2014

I visited the hotel over easter to use the spa one day. I can without doubt say that this was the best set of spa treatments I have ever had and this is not an exaggeration. Afterwards I had a lovely dinner in one of the restaurants with a beautiful view. A manger approached me and we had a great chat about the facilities and he provided me with some information about potentially visiting again in a really professional manner. Service was amazing, staff went out of their way and the food delicious. I will defiantly stay on a future RnR trip. One thing is that it's quite out of the way, if you want to be closer to the centre you may want to as taxis cost about 1000sh (10E) each way whereas matotos elsewhere are v cheap (100sh). For me that was not a problem

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank HunterSony
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I stayed here for 10 days with my family! Initially I was worried that 10 days would be too long, but I truly could have stayed much longer! You're in your own world in the resort and so well taken care of you feel very at home! The grounds are beautiful, the attention to detail is evident in everything from light fixtures to room design! The service is possibly the best iv experienced in the country! Everyone was friendly, smiling and extremely helpful! I truly loved my stay there and can't wait to go back! Thank you ocean beach for a magical time!

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank Misswanji
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Ocean beach resort & Spa is the best resort at the Kenyan coast with the best spa in Kenya so far i dare say. With exquisite rooms (suite), excellent staff in a environment best for one looking to relax. We'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: room 1 is the closest to the ocean and room 8 has a clear view of the ocean
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eric_Okello
Reviewed 12 January 2014

As a tour operator i got chance to tour around the resort, after being shown around by the manager, it was clear in my mind that ''this is the class and the standards the Malindi needed''...The rooms, restaurant, bars, swimming pool and the beauty parlour is nothing but the best, equiped with new and modern facilities, beyond anyone expectations! Thanks to the management and the proprietor for this wonderful gift in tourism sector!!!

Room Tip: You wouldnt regret no matter what room you will choose!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Jambo Savannah S
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We had booked for two nights at the Ocean Beach Resort and Spa, after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor – no negative comment and top rating by all reviewers. The resort is a nice one with good rooms and most facilities one would look for. Dinner at restaurant is pretty good as well (try the barbecued prawns).

However, our overall experiences have been very contrary to the expectations.

The Location:
The resort is located in the north of Malindi while almost everything - marine park, restaurants, are located in the south. Hence, one needs to shell out Ksh 1000-1500 every time one needs to move out. One might like to stay in the resort and relax on the beach – but the beach itself is the most muddy we have ever seen. The beach at the resort is very close to the mouth of Sabaki River that forms a delta. Hence, the sea here is very muddy and unfit for plunging into. The situation gets worse when it rains in the upper catchments of the river.

The Rooms:
• The resort has standard and superior rooms and suits. The difference between standard and superior room is Ksh 4,000. We booked standard but the hotel management was kind enough to upgrade us to a superior room. However, the room service lady explained that the only difference between the standard and superior room is the availability of a coffee maker in superior ($ 50, that’s an expensive coffee…!!).
• Contrary to reviews on tripadvisor, none of the rooms, except probably the Room 1 (apparently the suite) has an ocean view. There is a boundary wall running through the resort that blocks the view to ocean from any room.
• We were told at check-in that all rooms are booked and hence they are giving us Room 32. This room is at the end of the resort, and at least 300m from the reception and we ‘enjoyed’ our back-n-forth walks. The walk at night in the resort is pretty ‘adventurous’ as there are numerous crabs all over, and walking without torch would be fun!
• The most surprising thing was the crowd at the resort – we could hardly see anyone, which completely contradicted what we were told at check-in – that all rooms are booked. This was further surprising as it was the weekend between Christmas and New Year, and there was huge tourist crowd at all places in Malindi and flights were overbooked. Hence, we thought of checking with the hotel staff, and got three different responses from three different staff:
o People have left after Christmas and haven’t started arriving for the new year (which meant the rooms were actually empty when we checked-in).
o People don’t normally eat at the resort, all the guests are in the town for dinner…
o At breakfast (8:30am) – people are still sleeping!

The Service
• The phone in the room didn’t work on the first day and hence we had to call the reception from our mobiles every time.
• For two people we were given only one half-liter bottle a day and hence we had to use the mini-bar for water. We raised this at reception, and the lady said that they give two bottles every day and this must be a mistake. Nevertheless, we were still charged for water taken from mini-bar.
• We wanted to book an excursion and requested reception’s assistance. The lady told that she would call up in an hour. When not hearing for the next two hours, we again walked to the reception and found that the lady had already left for the day. We had to request the new staff at desk who arranged for the excursion.

Overall, we were not happy at the resort, and the USD 800+ that we spent for two nights was pinching (added to that I dropped my expensive sunglass in the resort and never found it , not to talk about the extra money we had to shell for having dinner or going anywhere in Malindi). The local tour managers hadn’t even heard of this resort, and were wondering even if it existed, why we were staying so far.

Lesson from the experience is the strength of advertisement. We went by very strong advertisement campaign on tripadvisor and felt a bit tricked. I have been reading the reviews again upon return and have been laughing at them (and on myself). This experience has also left a small question on credibility of tripadvisor, wondering how they could receive the ‘Travellers Choice’ of the year, when there was hardly any guest in the peak season!

Room Tip: None of the rooms, except perhaps the suite, has the ocean view. Prefer staying as close to the swi...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank TravellerFoody
Roberto M, Owner at Ocean Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

First of all I really want to thank Tripadvisor that gives the owner the possibility to reply to false allegations like the ones in this review.
To start I want to say that I was present at the check in and Mr. "Travelfoodie" introduced himself saying: "You only have positive reviews, let's see if they are true".
After he was given a free upgrade (we always do this when possible) he started to check the differences without asking the management, but probably on purpose he did ask a cleaner that does not know them, anyway these are the differences between a standard room and a superior:
10 square metre more for the room,
bigger bathroom,
bigger verandah
larger wardrobe
larger TV
Kettle
and more small amenities.
In any case all these details are available on our web site and he could have checked them easily.
Another false allegation is that all the rooms have no view on the sea. FALSE, out of 35 rooms 18 of them have a view on the sea, but not the standard and the superior rooms, these are the Junior suites, Suites and Deluxe Suites.
The beach: during his stay there were heavy storms upcountry and the sea in Malindi was dirty all over, we cannot control nature.
The fact that we are not were all the other hotels are is a choice that most of our clients do appreciate because of the peace and quite in this place, if he wanted noisy hotels with animation he should have gone somewhere else, not in a place that is made for relaxation, as written in most reviews.
The telephone had a problem, yes, and I do apologise for this, but this can happen everywhere and it was fixed as soon as we got hold of the technician.
The fact that he says that there were not enough clients around is his only problem, we only have 35 rooms on an area of 20 acres, with three swimming pools so the place is never overcrowded, also consider the fact that people on holiday usually go on excursions or they also go out for dinner since Malindi offers a great variety of restaurants.
Last but not least..... the crabs..... we are on the beach!!!! It's normal to have crabs! Nobody has ever complained about them, also, if we have them it means that there is no pollution and our sewage system works well and does not pollute the environment around so that the crabs and other sea life can live in peace!
To end all this, Mr. Travelfoodie wants to say that 106 reviews before his are only telling lies?
I leave the judgement to the readers...... and I suggest the gentleman that criticised the location so much to take better informations according to what he is looking for.
Thank you.

Roberto Marini

Reviewed 29 December 2013

My family are reasonably experienced travellers: been there, done that. Nothing could have prepared them for our visit to Kenya and the Ocean Beach Resort in Malindi. They rate it as their best vacation, ever. First the resort itself: just beautiful. The food was superb, although we prefer authentic food so were happy to go to local restaurants on some evenings. The staff were, without question, some of the friendliest people we have ever met anywhere. And as a base for going on safari and other activities, it was just perfect. So family friendly, too. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in a Roundeval (may have the spelling wrong?), which is a circular villa, of which there...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family