“A place worth staying at !”

Sandies Tropical Village
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Malindi
Reviewed 20 July 2012

My family and I recently stayed at Sandies for four nights. I didn't expect much reading some of the reviews , but I was surprised ( in a good way ) when I got there . The place was beautiful ! It's not the Hilton or the four seasons , but that's not what we were looking for . If you just want to get away for the hustle and bustle of the city - it is the perfect place to stay . Pros : free wi-fi - it's available all day everyday :) the staff - they are very friendly. The food : the fish was defiantly a highlight , grilled ,baked , fried - it was amazing . There's only one tv ( yes it's a pro ) this makes for spending quality time with your family . The beach is within walking distance - well the resort is on the beach . there's a spa right next door ! There is security on the beach - it is really safe . There's a minibar in the room - full of water and drinks . It is restocked daily .

Cons : the drive from Mombasa is two and a Half hours - the roads aren't that good either . The beach boys - yes they are there , but didn't annoy us , although lying on the beach when someone is watching you is Awkward . I'm guessing they re-did the bathrooms , but the water out the shower is saltwater.

Things to carry : sun block - lots of it
Mosquito repellent
Overall I rate this place 4.2 /5

Room Tip: Get an expensive suite - you get what you pay for !
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Priyanka N

Reviewed 19 July 2012

We have just spent a wonderful 7 nights/8days at Sandies. We were a bit sceptical at first because of a few bad revues - however, this proved to be totally unfounded.
This is a 4 star resort with 5 plus star treatment. The pro's and cons as follows:
Everything from the rooms to food, entertainment, staff, location, value for money - 5 star.
Cons - the famous Malindi beach boys - BUT not the hotel's fault.
Special mention must be made to one of the managers, Mr Allan Ochsner, who went the extra mile to make sure our stay was PERFECT. Well done, Allan, keep up the good work!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Lindy541303
Reviewed 10 July 2012

the biggest asset to Sandies Tropical Village is surely their staff! From the checking in procedure for a group of about 50 right through to meals, entertainment, crisis management, all was handled extremely proffessional! it is a lovely drive from the airport to Malindi, giving you a nice view of the rural coastline. It is ideal for families, if you want something quieter i will suggest Dreams of Africa. Rooms are very basic, but spacious enough, would maybe grade it as 3 star rather than 4, that is compared to South Africa's grading system. The food is good enough, but be aware that precautions should be taken as a lot of people on our trip got sick. The staff was amazing when I was sick and send a doctor out. The only real negative thing is the Beach Boys, I read the reviews here and thought it can't be that bad....it is bad! You can basically not put your feet on the beach without being harrassed, we did the beachwalk with them on the first day, which was very informative, but they are just so persistent that it becomes extremely irritating. Everything they sell is either the same prize or cheaper at the hotel. The diving on the glass bottom boats is a MUST DO, book with Rodgers at the reception desk.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Charmaine B
Reviewed 18 March 2012

we recently stayed at Sandies Tropical Village after a safari to Masai Mara. the hotel was extremely attractive and well-maintained. the rooms were spacious and clean. staff was attentive and genuine wanted to please. the food was good, and the a la carte lobster was the best meal we had in Kenya. the beach is lovely and we took long walks and were relatively un-harassed. all in all an excellent stay.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank cedpo
Reviewed 11 December 2011

For my first and sadly last solo experience staying here was awesome! Wish i learnt about the possibility to travel solo earlier. For a young female solo traveler it could be dangerous out there but this hotel was incredibly secure! No one was allowed at the beach/pool area after dark unless of course there was a function, there was security all over and the hotel was well lit.

My room was fabulous, clean, huge bed, enough storage space for my clothes, a safe, great bathroom... the shower had short comings though, it didn't have a door/curtain so water would spill over to the floor. The food was very good, the all inclusive package made economical sense... room, breakfast, lunch, dinner and drinks except of course the high end whiskeys, champagne etc.

The staff was friendly, polite, very hospitable, did not discriminate me for being a local, and even helped me a great deal by translating questions, answers and some conversations the non English speaking Italian friends I met there were having!

Will definitely return.... with my fiance this time..... LOVED IT!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank CWeryl
Reviewed 10 June 2011

We stayed at Sandies Tropical village for a week in March, first thing to note is the extremely long bumpy road from Mombassa Airport to Malindi, it takes forever!!
Once we arrived the hotel looked great but what a disappointment when we entered our room. It was listed as a 4 star hotel, looking the our room- not a chance, 2 star at best. Very hard bed and dodgy old bathrooms, the staff were fantastic though, always smiling and if it hadn't been for them I think we would have left.
BEACH BOYS, well having been to Zanzibar, I thought I knew all about beach boys, but no. In Zanzibar you get about 3-5 beach boys and after awhile they get to know you and dont bother you anymore, the problem in Malindi is that there are hundreds, so as soon as one knows not to bother you, there are 500 to take his place, NEVER AGAIN.

One place in Malindi that I can highly recommend is a resturant called "Old Man and the Sea" - WOW - dont judge this book by it cover, it is the BEST place to eat Seafood in Malindi - try the red snapper, it is fabulous.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank bugeje
Reviewed 8 April 2011

I think that a 4 star rating is a bit of a push for this Hotel, standard rooms suffice but lack Privacy as they overlook an open Garden interlaced with walkways so sitting on the Balcony is not private.

I don't know what it is but so many Hotels seem to go out of their way to find the hardest Mattress possible so quality of sleep was not great.

Forget about going for romantic walks on the beach, You will not be able to avoid the "Beach Boys" that just pester you from beginning to end and expect money for walking next to you. The Beach boy issue is even worse here than it is in Zanzibar. Fo the week we were there we did one Hotel beach walk which even had 8 "Beach Biys" trailing along trying to sell anything they could. I am surprised I did not have to pay for the air I was breathing. The other thing about the beach is it is just covered all the time with Sea Grass due to High tide. Maybe the Hotel should pay the "Beach Boys" to clean up the beach each day in front of the Hotel and leave the guests alone!

The water in the showers is salt water so that is not great either. We went specifically do go diving at the Marine reserve. We had planned to do about 6-8 dives but ended up not doing more than two, the reef is boring, on one dive we saw one blue spotted Ray and a few small fish. Comparing dive sites Sodwana Bay in South Africa has dive sites 100 times better than this area. Perhaps Mombasa is a better reef but we wanted to get away from the commercialism.

Okay lets not kid around, Kenya is poor...extremely poor. You will not want to travel around outside of the Hotel as there is nothing but a slump. Although making the trip to the restraunt "Old man and the sea" is a definite.

The only saving grace at the Hotel was the exceptional staff and the service they provide. But let's face reality, it makes for a very expensive 7 days sitting around a swimming pool wishing you had rather spent the extra couple of Thousand and gone to the Maldives or to Thailand if you are prepared for the travel.

Room Tip: Have no suggestions that would add value.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank emailSouthAfrica
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malindi
Driftwood Beach Club
#1 of 28 in Malindi
Scorpio Villas
Scorpio Villas
#3 of 28 in Malindi

Been to Sandies Tropical Village? Share your experiences!