“Amazing Vacation”
Review of Scorpio Villas

Scorpio Villas
Ranked #3 of 28 Hotels in Malindi
Reviewed 8 July 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at Scorpio and loved every moment of our vacation. The villas are beautiful and the staff are extremely friendly and attentive. They have 4 swimming pools and a private beach which means you can rest and take a walk without being bothered by anybody. We left feeling relaxed and are definitely going to be back for more!

Room Tip: Room towards the beach are serene.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Wanjiru K

Reviewed 1 July 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights on full board but was disappointed. The lunch served was good but was very disappointed that the dinner served was the same as the lunch,it was a shock since trip advisor has given the hotel 41/2 star.They did not have soap in the bathroom and we were asked to use the shower gel as soap.We had to change to half board since we refused to eat the same food for lunch and dinner. The dip pool in our honeymoon suite was not very clean and nobody came to clean it on both days.Otherwise the trip to scorpio was good.In total we were a family of 5 and one child.Two rooms were booked.My wife and I were celebrating 34 years wedding anniversary.

Room Tip: It is better to choose rooms which are near to the first pool since the dinning area is there.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank iqbalhusein
SCORPIOVILLASKENYA, Manager at Scorpio Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2013

In almost 10 years is the first time that i have decide to answer to one review. I have take this decision because what i have read is unbelievable, i don't know if i must use you or this to name this guest, he leave at the reception a letter with a very good comment on the food service regarding our hotel . I'm discoraged because is not possible to attached in this comment the letter that i'm talking about. But i also know that the letter was delivery at the reception before that i refuse to give them another more discount on the rates, this is the result. Blackmail?

Reviewed 21 June 2013

I've just finished a great 5 night stay at Scorpio with 2 friends. For the price, it is an excellent place to stay. Beautiful gardens throughout the hotel with 4 swimming pools and the lighting and thatched roofs give a lovely atmosphere especially in the evenings. The bar staff are great and very attentive. The rooms are spacious and nearly all have an outside area with sofas to chill out on. The swimming pool areas are really well kept, clean, always a pool chap to give you a towel. The private beach area is great and there is a lovely beach bar, however one down side is that at the moment it's closing at 6pm or even before which is a shame.

The dinner and entertainment are a let down. The dinner is over-priced, the food is not good and unfortunately the 2 piece entertainment of keyboard and singer are truly dreadful. We stayed in for dinner one night and really regretted it. However, the breakfast is excellent with a great selection and the pancakes are especially tasty.

The bar area is lit up beautifully in the evening and is a lovely place to have a couple of pre-dinner drinks. I would suggest going out for dinner, but that is easy as it's a quick tuk tuk down the road to Old Man and the Sea or our favourite, I Love Pizza.

Overall an excellent value for money stay and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 16, near the best pool of the four and close to the beach and reception as its in...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 May 2013

I stayed here for one night while at the Kenya coast for work. It was a mixed experience so I couldn't decide whether to give it 3 or 4 stars. Finally went with 4 stars because it really was a good value for the price! The hotel grounds are quite lovely with tropical plants and several pools scattered throughout. It's located right on the beach near the Vasco da Gama pillar historic landmark. Overall, a gorgeous location. Rooms are adequate, but not luxurious. They have both AC and an overhead fan. You will need the AC and mosquito net at night as there are many mosquitoes. Bathrooms need upgrading. Dining room is nice and the food is an adequate buffet with many options.

However, when we arrived to check in, the man at the reception desk was less than welcoming. He could not find our reservation and despite it being low season and half empty, he acted like it was a huge favor to find us a room. They would not accept credit cards and could not give us breakfast earlier than 8:00 a.m. We had to leave before that time and other guests were having the same issue. We finally got breakfast resolved but it was a headache and took a lot of negotiating. Additionally, there was no soap in my bathroom and I again had to negotiate with the same grumpy man at reception for a small bar of soap. (He had a cabinet full of soap!) Dinner did not start until 8:00 p.m. but at 8:10, it was still not open. I finally argued my way in and to a table. By 9:30 I was told they were closing down and asked to finish my meal. Seems strange for a place run by Italians but maybe this was due to it being to low season.

Overall, it is a nice location for a very good price. While the service was a bit lacking, I would not hesitate to stay here again for the price. However, I would take advantage of one of the other many options on the coast if looking for luxury.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank mary m
Reviewed 22 May 2013

I was at scorpio for honeymoon from 7th to 12th May 2013. The experience was awesome. The food was great.The Music, What a wonderful band they have, the songstress has such a wonderful voice. We were booked for the standard rooms but on arrival we were upgraded to the "Malaika" room no 46. The one room that has a swimming pool inside it. the place was so nice we actually extended for a night, and that without hassle. I and wife appreciate Anderson for his help in carrying and moving our bags, Alice, Pendo and Rono for the assistance whenever we needed anything for our stay. You guys made our stay very comfortable. Because of the hotels location, we were able to visit Vasco Da gamma pillar, Geda ruins, Hell's Kitchen, Mida creek, The Falconry, Malindi Museum and Jetty, thanks to James the security officer who pointed us in the right direction and was ever willing to find out daily how we were doing.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank martinhinga
Reviewed 14 December 2012

A week in December on the seaside of warm Indian Ocean. Mmmmm... Was good. Bungalows are lovely, clean , with AC and ceiling fans.Garden and swimming pools - lovely. Wifi all over the place. Service is x-friendly, witty, helpful,smiling. - thank you guys , ! Drawbacks: just two: some problems with availability of "all inclusive" drinks at one bar in the evening. And no credit cards accepted. Otherwise - paradise. Not for those loving night life, though. Book readers, lovers, drink sippers - this is your cup of tea. Food was abundant, great mix of sefood-indian-italian-grill. Excursions? Use Geoffrey at the beach entrance for safari - a must and awesome experience,Go 2-day Tsavo East either Geoff or with Dickson, boy these guys know it all. And talk to them. Try big game fishing too (eg Lady Nana) do not hesitate to take smallboat for two instead of a big one. They get sailfish equally often :) Hotel shops: probably best offers in town, ask the seller for anything you want and they get it for you next day. Shopping was fun,too. Last but not least : would I go back there ? O yeah, any minute. And I will. For delicious lamb somosas, griled calamari and chcnce to catch a marlin .

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 November 2012

We stayed there for one week, and overall it was a nice place. They don´t have many rooms, so it is really a quiet and relaxed atmosphere. Mostly there have not been more than 5 people on one of their pools at the same time. The food is really nice, you can feel it is a place runned by Italians, who take care about food culture. Especially on weekends it is nice - they even have lobster or king prawns, included in the price. Everything - the garden, the pools, the paths and the rooms are quite clean (besides an ant street in the room, but that is something you have to bear while staying in Kenya). Beach is easy to reach and very nice, besides the beach boys who can be a little bit disturbing, but again - this is something you have to expect staying in a tourist area like Malindi.
But there also have been some downs: pool towels were not easy to catch, there were two days where we couldn´t find any (it seemed the poolboy was already off duty...or out for lunch) and the other days we had to wait at least 25 - 45min to get a towel, only on two days we could get towels immediately. That is a little bit poor service for a hotel in this category.
Also the water pressure in the rooms is very very poor, I have been living before in Kenya and I also have been staying in other Hotels, because my job brings a lot of travelling, but this water pressure was the poorest I ever experienced, maybe they want to save water?
I also never experienced that the room boy is complaining, because you are in your room. But that happend - it seemed he was disturbed by the fact we asked him to come again in 15min, because when he knocked the door, to do the service, we have been preparing for the beach.
And what I also disliked - i think it has already been mentioned before in other reviews - sex tourism in this place is tolerated. Many old, mostly Italian guys bring their young prostitutes to the hotel. It is somehow disgusting when you have to watch 60year old guy grabbing the bottom of his 20 year old prostitue at the buffet, while you yourself are trying to take a romantic dinner. The first few nights we only saw 2 or 3 of this couples, but then it seemed "high season for sex toursim" was starting, because there have been around 8 of this "couples" and as I am sure, the hotel was not fully occupied, this number is quite high.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple