“Based on reviews I'd heard from people who've stayed here during the last few decades, I was a little disappointed...”
Review of Sai Eden Roc Hotel

Sai Eden Roc Hotel
Ranked #20 of 27 Hotels in Malindi
Reviewed 22 January 2012

I can imagine this hotel being fairly festive, but the Somalia situation and other factors lead to it being sadly quiet while I was there.

After a long day of travel to get to Malindi, I was slightly furious about having to move rooms twice because the showers weren't working. That said, the lady at reception was very helpful.

The rooms are pretty average and need an upgrade I felt.

The dining room and bar area are excellent, pitty they were both so empty though. Pool area is also superb. Its a short walk to some good bars and restaurants, but it was disappointing to see how quiet these were.

The hotel is right on the beach, but you have to walk a few hundred metres to get to the water, which has receded dramatically in the last 20 years.

Eden Roc isn't a bad spot, but I'll be trying somewhere else next time I'm in Malindi.

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank Malevi_Mzungu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Dar es salaam
Reviewed 22 July 2011

My Husband and i visited Eden Roc for a weekend gateway, the first thing that we noticed was that it was under new management,

The Characteristic Monumental structure adds extra intrigue to this hotel, The terrace has the perfect ambiance for lunch dinner or for a conference overlooking the Indian ocean, with a very rich bird life treat.

The Food is great and is served in generous portions, The Thing that separates Eden Roc from similar hotels in Malindi is quite simply that they have exceptional food, competitive prices and the friendly atmosphere.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 July 2011

Came here for business conference. I was expecting it to be nicer but the rooms are very basic. No TV, there's AC but you can't adjust the temp, nets over bed, no hot water in the shower (at least there wasn't any in my room), bathroom was a bit worse for wear. The hotel is clearly aging but you can tell it's seen finer days. The grounds are nice, lots of land and nice pool area. The meals were very well done IMO, I liked the dinner options in the buffet and the service was good. I wish they had more vegetarian options at meals (besides starchy veggies and rice). I wish they had wireless internet but they didn't (even the internet in the conference center was down!).

I think the place could use a renovation and overall it was JUST okay. It's not right on the beach but you can walk straight down to a fairly nice beach in about 5 min. I probably wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask to see a few rooms first before booking.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2011

Hi there we were staying at North Coast Travellers, we took a trip to Malindi, and stopped off at the Eden Rock for lunch, a couple of beers and coffee, I must say the service was very friendly,prompt and efficient, the food was excellent, we had a pasta dish which was very generous in portion size, and cooked just right, al dente, the barman was very attentive we had two cold Tuskers each, which were very cold, just how we like them finished off with Coffee.... the bar was very clean smart staff very clean hotel and grounds.. will certainly put this hotel on my list of places to stay on my next trip there.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank alan m
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 9 March 2011

Travelled ther with a group of friends in January 2011. After a night in the overrated North Coast, we went on a road trip to Malindi and ended up at Eden Roc - it was a choice we didnt regret!

The white beach was stunning and we went to ride the waves up until 7pm!....thereafter we had dinner - excellent sea food which is not entirely surprising given its location. The rooms were clean, spacious albeit a bit old. The bed was huge and there was alounge and a private balcony at the back, overlooking a natural form pool and some beautiful gardens.

There was a band in the evening, and they were kidn enough to play me a number as I slipped the ring on my girlfriend's finger and asked her, rather successfully, to marry me! :-) After our engagement, we allI ended up at one of our balconies and toasted until late before exploring the famed Malindi nightlife. Breakfast was tidy and really comprehensive and our guide still found breakfast despite oversleeping at waking up at 11am!....Check-out was smooth especially as we had paid for the dinner right after the meal while the breakfast cost was included in the room rate.

Overall, an excellent hotel, it might show signs of age her and there but the charm and personality are still intact.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2010

Terrible, do not stay there. The staff were rude and attitudinal and could not care less, the rooms were so old and dated, expensive. The hotel was empty, needless to say we left after 1 night.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Malindi hotels

Virginia
Reviewed 14 January 2010

My husband and I took the advice of a friend and stayed at Eden Roc. We checked-in and signed a contract agreement concerning the rates and services. We pretty much wanted a Bed/Breakfast since we'd be out all day on leisure activities. We got a double room even after we'd mentioned we were married and decided to just let it pass.We were told we had to pay for breakfast for the first day and again we didn't mind at all.
The room was ok but we couldn't get the water temperatures right in the shower.It would be scalding hot water one minute then cold all over sudden.
The service was fine and the pool soo relaxing.
At one time, a guest was checking out and was upset about the charges he'd been imposed upon. We brushed it off thinking it was a random case where applicable taxes might have been high. However it also happened to us.
We told the staff on the eve of our checking-out that we wanted to check-out pretty early since we had to travel to Nairobi.Well we show up at the reception and the cashier is running late. Also they overcharged us and when we mentioned our contract, they somehow seemed to have "misplaced" copies of the agreement. The receptionist "Jackson" was also rude since he knew we were in a hurry yet kept stalling time. Later, we were told by the manager that the additional fee was due to lunch which was absurd since we hadn't had lunch there during our stay.Thank goodness we had extra funds so as to rush out feeling ripped off! Worst hotel experience ever!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple