“Enormous pool!”

Ranked #9 of 29 Hotels in Jounieh
Horley, United Kingdom
“Enormous pool!”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Very good hotel with pleasant and concerned staff. You have to walk a short distance to the leisure and main dining facilities within the complex which is shared by apartments. (The facilities in the hotel itself are limited to a restaurant serving breakfast and lunch - there is no bar). The complex has the largest pool I have ever seen and plenty of sun loungers! However they often play very loud techno music which is awful. The gym is very well equipped but peculiarly it is not open on Sundays. The rooms are spacious with large balconies but no tea/coffee making facilities. Service was always prompt and courteous from all departments. Laundry takes a while to come back and has to be chased.

Room Tip: Sea facing. Avoid rooms facing the pool area where there is often very loud music.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Naji1974, Manager at Portemilio Hotel And Resort, responded to this review, 6 October 2014
Thank you for taking the time and writing this helpful review,

However regarding the loud techno music at the pool, i would like to apologize as it was a test for a private party that was going to take place at night, and they were trying, and yes it was annoying. Usually there is soft low music at the pool.

Regarding the tea/coffee facilities, we started it in August 2014, so sorry that you missed it, and hope you will enjoy it in your next visit.

Naji Khalil

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Lebanon, Tennessee
Reviewed 23 June 2014

its located in kaslik - jounieh area on the sea side 5 minutes walking from all shopping centers, restaurants & cafes and at the same time away from all the noise. On another hand it is located on the beach directly, you have great view with an Olympic pool and another kids pool. Most importantly it is in a safe area away from the troubles at Beirut.
Staff are very friendly and helpful you can count on them with anything you need, rooms are most importantly clean, and you should definitely try room service.
there is roof top lounge that we tried in summer me and husband named i-view, it has an amazing sea view, with perfect service and great food taste.
you should definitely try this hotel specially if you are a family on vacation!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maeva L

unfortunately the I-View is open only during summer time,
however we do have the great team at the room service who will not spare any effort in serving the best food.

Washington, DC
Reviewed 31 May 2014

The Portemilio is an excellent property. The rooms (especially the suites) are spacious, and well appointed, if too strongly perfumed for my taste. Their view of the Mediterranean is good as well, and the balconies - especially in the suites - are like another room The bath facilities and showers are great. Air conditioning was up to the task, and only the glacial WiFi made for some frustration. The glass doors kept out enough of the thrumming music from the adjacent outdoor club to keep sleep from being a problem.

The restaurant's food is good (not great), but I'm not the best judge, since Lebanese cuisine and its constant threat of parsley poisoning - how much tebouleh can a man be expected to eat??? - isn't my favorite. The lunchtime penne arrabiata was marginal, although I did have it twice in six days. Breakfast, however, was very good. I went elsewhere for dinner.

Oddly enough, I'm compelled to give highest marks to the maids. They are cheerful and obviously care about your comfort: one day I had meetings on my balcony all day, and there wasn't a minute to take down the "Do Not Disturb" sign. The maid left some extra towels outside (and I suspect she didn't really believe I could make a bed). When she had to clean the room in my presence, she was careful to work around my constant phone calls, and NEVER disturbed my cigar. A nice lady.

Where the Portemilio falls short is in the lobby: first, there is no bar. Not that you can't get a drink: the staff will be pleased to bring it to you as you sit in the living-room style couches. But, there's no place to chat up the bartender or other patrons: if you try in the hospitality area, you'd be imposing upon a private grouping of other guests. It just has none of the social ease of the "lobby bar" model. The front desk attendants are another matter. They are attractive young people, with little interest in "hosting." One continued to assure me that she didn't have change for a U.S. $20, while I saw her riffle through at least that much in the wad of bills she had taken from her drawer. I suspected some conspiracy to keep me in big bills for tipping purposes. For three days out of five, there wasn't cash so do even minor exchange - without the slightest expression of sympathy, or suggestion of a nearby solution. Frankly, the desk attendants should get hospitality lessons from the maids.

Security is mostly adequate, although I was out late enough on one evening to find the front gate up and unattended. The two young men in camo with the visible weaponry who were generally around at all other times gave me a more-than-adequate feeling of safety.

A good tip? The Portemilio has its own bodega in the front circle. It's a great place to purchase snack and beverage items, fresh fruit, bottled water, and other small comforts including the fifth of Johnny Walker Black that they sold me at a very reasonable price.

As an overall rating, I am somewhere between "average" and "very good." The Portemilio gets the benefit of the doubt, though, as tourism is currently in the tank due to the Syrian conflict, and the owners are undoubtedly trying to make do with as small a staff as possible until the tourists come back. I've stayed at Le Royale and some other of the glamor properties, and for the $50/night difference, I'd recommend the Portemilio.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your time and all the small deatails that you noticed in our property,
yes we do care about details,

So sorry regarding the exchange issue, but rest assured that the whole stuff at the front desk has been trained to pay attention to the smallest details.

Hope to see you again soon.

Regards
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I spent my honey moon with my lovely husband Paul , it was the best hotel I've been to in my life , the views is like a place in heaven , a very romantic place , I can't wait to go back to portemilio!!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Naji K, Manager at Portemilio Hotel And Resort, responded to this review, 7 October 2014
It is always of a great pleasure to have a honeymooner couple in our premises.

we prepare the room in a lovely way, and we offer nice amenities.

you are welcomed whenever you want.

Erbil- Iraq
Reviewed 20 August 2013

it was my second visit, the first one was much better with less price. break fast is really poor and no body there to serve us even reception with no one most time and the bellboy careless, ill change the hotel next visit, the good things there must be mentioned is the room cleaning and hotel location which is really nice and if the service improve, the hotel will be best there.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Luaay S
London
Reviewed 12 August 2013

All in all, a disappointing stay.

The hotel complex itself desperately needs renovating. Our room was old with a musty smell and the bathroom suite was very 1980s. The bathroom ceiling is made up of long metal panels and one of the panels fell one day, narrowly missing my head. I rang reception to alert them to this and how dangerous is was but there was no apology.

The biggest problem with this hotel was the service. Upon arrival, we politely requested a kettle for the room but had to call three times before we received it. The same thing happened when we requested an iron. Service at breakfast was even worse. Staff were not friendly as we had to ask for simple things time and time again which started to get a little embarrassing.

The pool was nice - an excellent 50m pool and guests also have access to an indoor pool which is great. However, we were there on a busy weekend and they had run out of towels. First, we were told it was a 25 minute wait for a towel, after 25 minutes, we were told it was going to be another 5 minutes, then another 45 minutes. Again, no apology, infact, staff were rather rude about it which is infuriating as it is not cheap to stay in the hotel. I am sure that this is not the first weekend that the hotel has busy and surely they should have anticipated the amount of towels they would need.

I would not recommend this hotel and believe that there are far nicer places to stay for the same money. Avoid.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank VictoriaA16

Travellers are raving about these Jounieh hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2013

If you are a woman travelling alone or with a group of women do not stay at this hotel. You will get harassed by either male employees here or by other male guests and the staff won't do anything to protect you or keep your details a secret. Things will go missing from your room even if you use your safe. Completely overpriced. Beach is filthy and you have a choice of two pools. Better to find somewhere else. I changed my accommodation after staying there for two nights.

Room Tip: Rooms are quieter if you are on the beach side.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple