“A beautiful lebanease experience.”

InterContinental Mzaar Mountain Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Kfardebian
Reviewed 18 June 2012

This not our first visit to this resort,the first time was 7 years ago to celebrate our honeymoon and we had wonderful memories so we keep getting back whenever we find time.last week we spend a couple of sunny days,where we had a very good time.althought ther was renovation works at the proprety they make sure to put you in a room far from noise.The rooms are nice we had premium room with mountain view,but with no snow at this time of the year i think the garden view are much more beautiful but they told us their r no rooms available!.we where on HB and due to renovation we ate at La tavola and have to say the food always bring a smile to our face everything is delcious.the next day we where the first visitors at the opening of KHAYMAT AL HOR,a typical lebanese restauran,but no one and i say no one should leave this hotel without tasting their food and feeling their mood,a GREAT restaurant,and a very big thank you to monsieur Miled a vey nice man.The stuff is nice,faraya is a very beatiful area with lots of activities even in summer, i recommend this resort for every one.

Room Tip: try to have a room in the main building..
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 18 June 2012

This is my 5th stay at Mzaar Intercon since 2004, and I am really surprised that things are not getting better at all.

First of all when you get to the hotel your car is taken by the Valet Parking service, which costs 20,000 LBP, around 13$, which is toooooooo expensive!!!!!

Second, there was a party at the Airelles, one of the hotel's restaurants, and I couldn't sleep till 2 o'clock in the morning because of the very high disturbing music! If i wanted to stay up listening to music I would have gone to Gemmayze and not traveled 1 hour in my car to reach a far calm location to rest.

Third, I do not understand why the room service staff is Ethiopian and the restaurant waiters are Egyptian !!! Ethiopian people and Egyptian people are very nice, but we all know that in Lebanon hiring them means looking for very low wages.

Fourth, we went to have dinner at the Refuge, another restaurant of the hotel, we asked if we could sit outside and the waiter said of course. After half an hour the sun came down and we were in complete dark. When I asked the waiter if they could put the lights one because we cannot see what we are eating, he said they are no lights because they are still renovating !!!
Why didn't the waiter tell us from the beginning that there is no light outside??? we had to move everything inside to finish our dinner. Moreover I do not understand how can the hotel always be renovating, whenever I go there???? They renovate 365 days per year????
At the end we ordered 4 deserts, they served 3 (after waiting 15 mn for ice cream which doesn't need cooking or anything), and the waiter said: the 4th is on the way.
we had to wait 15 more minutes and the 4th desert never came. At last when I called the waiter to check, he answers me: but you ordered 3 not 4 !

And last but not least, the staff at the reception should be taught to smile.
I also remember that at the end of all my previous stays I was asked to fill a review card. This time there was nothing to fill, I guess they didn't care if I liked the stay or not or if I had any comments, since they know that whatever happens, and even if the service is bad, people will still come to this hotel because in Lebanon it is the only 5 star hotel located in the mountains and that people do not have another choice.

I hope someone reads my review from the hotel and tries to enhance the service

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Rita S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Mzaar Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2012

Dear Rita S,

Thank you for providing us with a very considerate review and thank you for staying with us. I'm glad that our location suits your preference. I am sorry for the inconvenience the unacceptable service might have caused you. Your review will be used to reconsider improvements needed and while we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Irish V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 2 May 2012

*Review updated to reflect later developments regarding billing issue*

The good:

The food we had was very good, with only one or two minor exceptions. Front desk staff were generally attentive and responsive during our stay. And the location is beautiful.

The bad:

We were victims of a bait and switch on our room and realized this only after we had checked out and paid. Even though we reserved a standard double room with extra bed at a corporate rate of $240 per night (plus presumably an extra fee for the extra bed), the hotel supposedly put us into a "studio suite." I say "supposedly" because the room was no more spacious than a normal hotel room, and if we were in fact upgraded no one bothered to tell us about this. They certainly didn't mention the fact that the room rate for this average-sized, drab hotel room was $445 per night. That rate is so far out of line with what one gets for the money that I don't know whether to laugh or cry--by comparison, we've paid similar rates for private villas at superb resorts that actually offered 5-star facilities and service (e.g., Conrad Maldives). To add insult to injury, they tack on so many obscenely-priced extras that it feels like a discount airline rather than a 5-star hotel: US $35 per day for excruciatingly slow Internet, $5 each for the Nespresso pods required to make coffee in your room after the first two, and an extra fee ($15 or $20, I think) even to use the hot tub. The cumulative result of those extras is that the bill was already so exorbitant, we didn't even realize until after the fact that we'd been robbed of over $900 on the room rate.

The beds are uncomfortable, at least compared with what you'd expect in a hotel that bills itself as 5-star; the US chain Motel 6 has better beds than this. The lobby doesn't seem to have any non-smoking areas so it's impossible to breathe if you try to go when the lobby bar is busy. Oh, and if you decide to get away to watch TV in your room to get away from the smoke, the TVs are at least a couple of sizes smaller than what one would expect for a hotel at this price, so be sure to bring your eyeglasses.

Service is the biggest flaw of the many that this hotel has, and the problems run from bottom to top. The lower-level staff are completely incompetent, resulting in at least one or two calls to housekeeping every single day just to get the right number of towels delivered to the room, and more if we wanted them to replace the drinking classes that they carried away, bring sugar for the overpriced coffee, etc. The staff who deal with billing issues are even more useless, and completely ignored my repeated messages regarding the fact that we had been massively overcharged until I escalated to IHG headquarters. They then put me in touch with the hotel manager, who sent one perfunctory e-mail essentially saying too bad if no one told me that I didn't get the room I requested, and their records show I stayed in a $445 per night room whether I knew (or asked for) it or not; in a nutshell, the customer is always wrong regardless of whether the customer gives written documentation of the rate and type of room that was reserved.

The ugly:

The rooms look like they were last decorated in the mid-1980s. I'm not even fussy about this sort of thing and found the rooms pretty ugly, so if you care about having a moderately attractive room this probably isn't the place for you.

I would never under any circumstances go back to this resort again, and would strongly advise going to the Alps instead since you'll find a nicer place for less money there. In fact, after essentially being told by IHG that the overcharging was a local issue, and then encountering the least customer focused person I've ever encountered in such a position, I will think twice before staying at any InterContinental facility in the future.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Steve R
InterCon_Mzaar, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Mzaar Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

Dear Steve R,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about InterContinental Mzaar, we appologize for any inconvenience and hope to welcome you again and share with you the real Mzaar experience.

It is a pleasure to knoe that you like the food, and diaspointing to hear what you called the bad and the ugly.

To begin with the rooms, and reservation; our clients are always asked over the phone wheather they would like to get a room upgrade or not and the rooms will be booked accordingly, and definetly upgraded rooms are more expensive than standard rooms.
InterContinental Mzaar is an alpine resort, thus the decoration is "rustique" and warm in comparison to five star luxury city hotels.

InterContinental Mzaar, as any InterContinental and none Intercontinental hotels puts extra charges on the mini bar items; these items are not for free.

The hot tub (jacuzzi) is charged since upon reservation we make it clear that the hotel facilities to be used for free are the sauna, gym and swimming pool in order not to have misunderstanding with our valued clients.

We would like to apologize again for any inconvenience that hapened during your stay at InterContinental Mzaar, and we assure you that your comments have reached the respective departments.

For any further information , kindly e-mail us to sales@icmzaar.com.

Regards!

Reviewed 12 April 2012

Excellent location, nice hotel with great views , perfect for a ski vacation

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Dear Yusuf,

We are glad you enjoyed the experience at InterContinental Mzaar. We are looking forward to welcome you back soon!

For any further information send us an e-mail toi sales@icmzaar.com

Best Regards!

Reviewed 8 April 2012

The pictures are a lye. They should pay a million dollars to the photographer!!!!!
Arrival: not allowed to park at the main door to get out of the taxi! (never experienced this) we where told to get out in front of the service door! And arriving with a 3 month old baby is much worst, since it was cold, and the baby crying
It was the worst welcome I had ever! OK, let's "forget" about it.

Room: OLD,DARK, carpet with bubbles.Old furniture, ugly curtains. really bad bed. Gap in the middle of the bed (there were two beds together).
No electric kettle. Very bad quality in toiletries (do not forget that I paid more than 400$ per night!
Sofa bed: HORRIBLE, the mattress thickness is not more than 5cm. So, my 7 year old girl could not sleep there and ended up sleeping with us.
Usually we sleep without problem. BUT this was our vacation, and at this hotel was very difficult to sleep for all the family!!!!
I ended up waking up 4 times by night.
WE FELT ROBBED, we payed a lot for the service we got. (NONE). Just a room with breakfast (VERY nice breakfast included)
Internet SUPER expensive and bad quality. (slow)
POOL: COLD!!! Even thought they warm it, it is not enough. We spend some minutes deciding to enter or not in the pool. Once inside the pool, iced water from the snow on the roof was falling over my head and back. yes! imagine snow on the roof of the pool, that snow was melting even because it was getting warmer or because of the "heat" of the pool. But the roof is not well done so, the icy water was falling into the pool and falling on top of our heads, shoulders, back...
SKY:
The location is good. BUT even though you are a hotel guest, the prices for the elevator, and the sky rental is high. No discount for hotel guests.

The only place you have to sit and see the people skying is on one terrace, BUT you have a sign "minimum consumption 20USD plus tax. So, if your kids are cold and you want to buy a hot chocolate, make it 4 hot chocolates so you can pay the minimum! CRAZY!!!

The good:
The restaurant "Refuge" served very nice food. Very expensive as well, but good. Good service.
The bathroom was updated.
If after reading this comment you still want to go, at least think twice.
We ended up canceling the last day and returning to Beirut and spend the night at the Crown Plaza at Hamra, GREAT SERVICE! nothing to compare! Crown Plaza is a great hotel, and much cheaper than Mzaar intercontinental. Would never go back there.
And for the people that thinks this hotel is good, makes me think that they have never been to a good hotel. I have been in 3 star hotels better than this one!

Room Tip: No good rooms in this hotel. But avoid 1st floor, they are dark. Did I mentioned that there is gar...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank RoxanaRegue

Dear RoxanaRegue,

As a follow up on the correspondence we had, we just like to apologize again for the inconvenience you have encountered during your last stay with us. You may rest assured that your comments were noted with great concern.

However, we would like to clarify;

At InterContinental Mzaar we have many types of rooms upon our clients requests,
thus if the client choses the standard room it will not have the characteristics of a higher category room. The client is always asked wheather he prefers an upgrade.

InterContinental Mzaar is a five star alpine resort, the furniture is not luxurious as city hotels since the resort is meant to be for fun, sports, skiing and outdoor adventures. The furniture should be cozy and chalet style.

The ski equipment prices in the hotel are the same of those outside the hotel although the shops inside InterContinental Mzaar offers higher quality equipment. Our clients have the choice between two shops inside the hotel or they could always bring their skiis with them.

Te InterContinental Mzaar Swimming pool is always heated in all seasons, however the water is always heated to moderate temperatures based on the request of our customers.

We apologize again for all inconveniences, we hope we could host you again at InterContinental Mzaar and we promise you the best InterContinental experience.

For any further details needed feel free e-mail us : sales@icmzaar.com

Reviewed 31 March 2012

Nice hotel but poor service. We arrived at 12pm and wanted to check-in but the rooms were not ready. Fair enough, so we decided to go ski. Back at the reception at 6pm, following which we were told the rooms were still not ready. After a 45 mn argument, we managed to get some of our rooms.

Big surprise the morning after when we requested a late check-out and were advised that we needed to vacate the place at 12pm sharp and told that they would not give us any extension despite the delay in getting the room the previous night. After another hour of arguing they agreed to give us a late checkout for only two rooms out of five...

Upon checking out, one of us got charged the cost of five rooms without even being authorized and despite the fact that the four other rooms were paid for... And staff again advised that there was nothing they could do... So we had to put a claim at our bank and cancel the card...

And also - we got late to the airport because the hotel didn't organize the airport transfer we requested 48 hours earlier!

Apart from that, it's an old hotel but with nice access to the slopes.

Stayed: February 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Mzaar Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2012

MF83,

Ben J
IHG Care

Reviewed 21 March 2012

On the 28th of February, 12,500 Euros got stolen from my pants while being in my room. Part of it is my fault since I didn’t put it in the safe but no one helped, the security didn’t call the manager, noone did,they did a conspiracy to cover it up and they didn't even bother to call the manager. The office desk, said he was the manager so they wouldn't call the real manager to complaint about it. Such matter, should be taken care of in a delicate way, not in the way they handled it covering it up especially is such a good reputation hotel.
Anyway what's done is done now, but i wanted to complain to someone in the managerial position, if they can contact me to hear about my complaint, it would be great.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank Fikret B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at InterContinental Mzaar Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2012

Dear Fikret B,

Thank you for your review and bringing this to our attention. The safety and security of our guests is of utmost concern to us. We take comments such as these very seriously and would like to discuss this further with you. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience. We have sent you a private message with more information. I look forwarding to hearing back from you.

Katie J
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kfardebian
TerreBrune Hotel
Al Bustan Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Beit Mery
Mist Hotel and Spa by Warwick
Hilton Beirut Habtoor Grand

Been to InterContinental Mzaar Mountain Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!