“Beautiful location with wonderful walks and lovely staff”
Review of Anjajavy L'Hotel

Anjajavy L'Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Anjajavy
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Beautiful location with wonderful walks and lovely staff”
Reviewed 16 June 2011

My husband and I spent 9 days at Anjajavy Hotel end May, early June and the weather was perfect - around 30 degrees with a lovely breeze most days. The sea was warm and the pool a perfect temperature as well. This hotel has a most beautiful location in a natural reserve which allows one to observe the local wildlife (including lemurs) and birdlife with ease. Dailly walks are organized with well-informed guides which makes the excursions enjoyable and interesting. As for the hotel, Cedric (the manager) as well as the rest of the staff, make every effort to ensure that you are comfortable and enjoying your stay. Their attention to your personal needs is outstanding. We found the food very enjoyable - the fresh sea food in particular. The hotel is in a very isolated spot yet the chef manages to provide interesting (yet simple) flavoursome food on a daily basis.The oasis is a magnificent natural garden which allows one to observe the birdlife and lemurs, and in our instance, a snake, on a daily basis.
As with all hotels, sometimes things go wrong, but the staff are so attentive to any problems that the inconvenience is minimal eg the water pump went early one evening but was repaired overnight, no mean feat given the hotel's isolation. However, it is Cedric's and the staff's response to any difficulty which makes this place unique. In our case, we were offered a free massage as compensation which was very enjoyable.
We would strongly recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a unique escape from the pressures of daily life. Anjajavy is a very special place: literally in a time zone of its own (they have Anjajavy time which is one hour different to Madagascar time) which extends the day and allows one to observe wonderful sunsets around 6pm when we were there. We enjoyed every aspect of our stay there and wish to thank Cedric and all the staff for their kindness and attentiveness which together with the hotel's unique location make this a very special place to go too.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Haywards_11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Nottingham
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We went to Anjajavy for our honeymoon. We choose it because it was somewhere hot with beaches. We are from Barbados, Caribbean but wanted a honeymoon somewhere different and extra special. Although partial to spending hours lying on a beach, I like to take my "sea baths"(bajan term) in the morning and evening when the sun and sand is not burning me. So I need something to do in between those hours. In comes the fascinating culture, flora and fauna of Madagascar which you can happily immerse yourself in at Anjajavy at your own leisure and pace. My new hubby was happy that we were unlikely to encounter any large man-eating animals while there to rescue his new bride from; unlike the rest of Africa.
- We booked through Rainbow Tours with Derek setting up all of our connections and once we got to Tana and through to Anjajavy and back. We booked our flights independently. We picked Anjajavy also based on their recommendation, online reviews, desription and we also had a look at the IMAGES and satellite map on Google...just to make sure the beach really had white sand the sea was blue and we weren't going in typhoon season. I also had no desire to spend my honeymoon with 200 other guest not even 100.
- Well, expections exceeded to the point that in the first few days I felt guilty that I was being so pampered! Wedding stress and my fast paced life in the UK just melted away..... Time slowed down when lying in a hammock in the morning and speeded up when you thought "is it time for dinner already" and slowed down again when you were having dinner! It must be the fact they have their own time zone. New hubby thought he was in an Episode of TV series "Lost" and I was transported to my childhood becoming a real Robinson Crusoe! As I have always suspected "the French have all the best secrets!!"
- The staff are amazing! Every morning and evening I waved to and greeted the waiting staff, housekeepers, gardeners and reception. I say they are shy at first but once you start greeting them in French, a bit of Malagasy or "Salaam" (most people in this region are muslim unlike tana's Christians), their faces light up, they smile and greet you back. Every evening Sophie activities director ask us if there was any excursions or activities we wanted to do the next day and arranged it all. Have to admit, we needed a wakeup call for some of these after becoming far too relaxed. Max who's from Tana was a great guide who conspired with new hubby to make jokes at climbing down caves, up rocks and failling miserably to pedal a bicycle uphill or in sand. He also found amusement when we both decided to try water skiing and we found amusement in all the activites he did in slippers particularly with giant hairy crabs inching closer to his toes. But he set us at ease. Rado who is from Mahajanga can miraculously imitate not only the lemur calls but the birds calls too and obviously knows where all the sacred Boababs are in the forest. The doctor who treated me for a bit of infection free of charge (for which I felt guilty again for using the medication of the locals) which cleared up once I was fed, watered and stopped sleeping with the air con on. The guides who took use waterskiing and snorkelling were excellent and made sure we were safe and looked after even though they spoke little English. The masseuses who together with new hubby giggled when I feel asleep on both occasions of relaxing massage....snoring. Last but not least Cedric, offical manager and unofficial jack of all trades and Mr. fix-it from astronomer to pseudo-nurse to taxi triver who is amazing and truly lucky to live in such a place. When the water pump broke down over night he had to get a new on flown in from Tana and offered us a free massage and a bottle of wine for something that really had very little impact on us( we were asleep).
- Our days were filled with afternoon tea, lounging in the hammock and sleeping with the doors open to the sound of waves on the beach.

To make you stay as good as ours, I recommend and advise:
If you have a real sense of adventure then you'll do fine.

- Planes.. if you don't like flying, you won't be able to go...if you don't like small planes you won't be able to go..if you get plane sick..like me...take some tablets you'll be fine. The plane we arrived on was an eight seater including the pilot and co pilot. The plane we left on was a 6 seater..the South African wife who had had a bad small plane experience spent a lot of time with her head in her hands. One poor couple arrived on a 4 seater.

- Drinks and water: the alcohol is pricey but no more so that if you went to top hotels and restaurants in Tana. On each excursion, all the guides have water and if it Moromba Bay or the Mangrove sunset cruise you get a cocktail also. Juice cocktails are also given to you on arrival to the hotel and on return from any excursions. Afternoon tea is free. We hoarded water (two one-litre bottles a day) and we had more than enough. If you want a bit of tipple try the local rum and wine, which was certainly as good as Barbadian rum and Nicoise rose wine. This is not an all you can drink establishment. They or your do not want any drunken accidents considering serious medical care is an hour and a half by plane in Tana and then some more to Mauritius and South Africa!
- The food is more than enough and if you get a bit bored of fresh fish and zebu steaks, there is an extra menu that you can order croque monsiuer sandwiches, pizza and pasta from. I only regret not getting to meet the chef and congratulate him on excellent seasonal food and using sparingly the items which have to be flown in from outside the reserve or from another country. Again this is not all you can eat but healthy, tasty cuisine made from mainly local produce.
- Laundry...I brough minimal clothes and nothing that could not be dried by a day's sunshine on the verandah. We washed our own clothes...good investment repellant infused zip off trousers...no bugs and shorts when trail goes through water which Max didn't mention on the Chemin Sakalava, just smiled!
- Bugs....repellant is mandatory I would say on trails and and sunset or sunrise activities. I suffer from a bad reaction to insect bites so I sprayed myself, the net and clothing and wore repellant bands on arms and legs at night I work mainly a long skirt or trousers and a long sleeve silk top. I was bit a few times out on the trails...wore wrong shorts but nothing while sleeping or at dinner not even in the oasis.
- Money...don't need it...everything is added to your bill so just bring you credit/debit card. I can't remember which one they take but between me and hubby we have visa, mastercard and Amex so we must have used on of those.
- Shopping.....not a lot....but still being a woman, I bought two hats in the hotel boutique and coconut oil for my hair and a lamba from the shop in Anjajavy village which was added to my bill. My lamba was 3 Euros which shocked my because I've never bought an item of clothing for so little before.
- Snorkelling.....Do not put your feet down, even to thread water as there are sea urchins in Moromba Bay. If you get tired swimming request floating vest so you can remain horizontal. Best snorkelling at 3rd and 4th beach. Put a little shampoo in the mask/googles to stop them from fogging up. Also be mindful of the marees, the tides.
- Kids...Not sure if this is the ideal resort for kids...that said we had one little girl during our stay who was quite happy to....go to school of all things with Cedric's kids and was exceptionally quitet during dinner. If your kids need a lot of activities for children/teenagers to avoid boredom I would not suggest this resort. If your child is happy digging in the sand for hours..book the flight.
- The pool...I..being from Barbados and obsessed with sea water (even in Cornwall, Nice, Scarborough and now Anjajavy)....am biased against chlorinated water...however it does have it's uses. Hubby and I used it twice. It needs to have markers so people don't dive in the shallow end or non-swimmers and children avoid the deep end. If the poolside are an important and integral part to your holiday, I would say chose a different hotel. If you think the poolside is crowded, the reserve has around 11 or so different beaches that you can escape to, two which you can reserve your private picnic on with a Do not disturb sign!
- Humidity and heat- practice appropiate suncare. It is the Tropics afterall. A giant hat works like an umbrella and avoid doing anything strenuous in the heat...just like the locals!
- Boredom....really..no way...go on the excurions...surf the net...go to the villages....go on the 30km hike our brave south african co-guest went on..you get flown back in time for dinner....try you hand at french or malagasy..do one of those activites on the board...read a book from the library, play pool, watch tv....all this in between sleeping and eating and drink.
- Donate and gifts...I donated my Malagasy- Englsih dictionary, my old trainers and old straw hat which I am sure they could repair for nothing, and pens, pencils and sharpeners for the villages. We were gifted a tree to plant...which we have named the "Bajan Boabab" and I left the guest some Barbados souvenirs as they say "we are proud where we come from and where we have been"

This is the best holiday I have ever had. I was pampered, spoilt, detoxed, relaxed and healthier. I hope to go back maybe in 10 years to see how big the bajan Boabab is! It was worth it!!

Room Tip: 2nd beach picnic. snorkel on 3 & 4 beach
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Marleyhill34
London
Reviewed 19 May 2011

What an incredible place. Surpassing all expectations, Anjajavy was the perfect end to a perfect honeymoon.

From start to finish we were treated like royalty, the staff are ultimately the back bone to the success of this hotel; from the guide and activities manager to the cleaners and drivers, they were attentive, chatty and clearly geared towards making our stay the best it could possibly be.

Thanks has to go to Imagine Africa for finding this hidden gem for us and persuading us that it truly is worth the money because IT IS - Every penny of it!

We hope one day we get the opportunity to return, especially now there is a dedicated Maclean tree to visit.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mackas_c
Isle of Man
Reviewed 17 May 2011

Our second visit to this luxury hotel in a natural paradise. After a two hour flight in a small plane we were met by Cedric, the hotel manager, and driven in the open back of a jeep through the forest to the hotel. Met in the main building with cold drink, coffee and crioissants; then to one of the 25 rosewood villas which face the perfect beach and warm sea. The villas are comfortable and well equipped with mosquito net around the double bed, air conditioning, mini fridge and kettle, corner bath and shower over, seprate wc and bidet, veranda with hammock, two single beds upstairs. All meals are a la carte and waiter service in the main buidling overlooking the palm shaded lawn, pool and sea - it actually looks better than the photographs. The food is excellent althoughg, because of the isolation of the hotel, choice is limited and depends on local supplies. Fruit and fish vary from day to day.
The hotel has its own time zone so one gets up with the sun and dinner is after sunset under the stars; sometimes around the pool or on the beach. For our special occasion we dined alone in the oasis. We also had a picnic lunch on a small private beach a short walk through the forest along the cliff top. Picnic was an understatement, it was a banquet with fresh linen cloth, silverware, and waiter service. A day tent had been erected with hammock, umbrella, dechchairs, freshwater shower etc.
The highlight of the holiday was the wildlife with lemurs, birds, chameleons, butterflies, snakes etc easily seen in the hotel grounds and around the oasis. All the staff, especially Freddie who serves afternoon tea on the oasis, are expert at spotting and identifying wildlife whilst Max and Rado took us out on nature walks, day and night, and sea trips.
The hotel has a very close relationship with two villages which they support through a charity, Ecole du Monde. We viaited both seeing the schools, health centres and craft projects. Knowing we would vsit them we brought some toothbrushes and footballs for the children. B.efore we left we bought two trees from their nursery to plant back in the forest and hopefully offset some of our carbon footprint
An exceptionally enjoyable holiday.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Maldoc
UK
Reviewed 9 May 2011

What a fantastic place, we visited this hotel for our honeymoon and spent 10nights of bliss. The ethos of the hotel is amazing and all staff strive to make your stay and visit memorable. If you like wildlife then you won't be disappointed and there are some excellent guided walks with such a wealth of knowledge from the guide.
We will never forget it and plan to visit again in the future for our anniversary and see how the tree we planted is getting on.
The hotel management takes pride in the job of the hotel and the way this interacts with the local village and the enthusiasm that they have spills over to you.
This was a real treat and anyone that likes wildlife in a relaxed and luxury stting will love this as much as we do.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank claraP
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 4 May 2011

An elegant and perfect hotel that respects nature.
It allows you to observe this amazing place ( also through hotel free activities) : tea among lemurs (sifakas and brown lemurs) , boat wonderful boat trips, long walks in the jungle to discover both strange animals and extraordinary plants or trees.
The food is great, the hotel team nice and helpful, and unlike the rest of Madagascar you can eat and drink all the wonderful things they offer you without a worry in the world. ( from 4 year old to 40 years old we all came back perfectly healthy)-
The best trip ever.

Room Tip: villas on the edges of the beach
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank isecd
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2011

My partner and I spent 6 days in Anjajavy in mid-January 2011. This place is quite unique in that it is a luxury lodge in a nature reserve, with very impressive philanthropic activity in the area, developing and supporting several local villages as well as the environment. The climate is more tropical than anywhere else on the west coast, it would seem, (though technically the forest area is 'dry', not 'rainforest'), and there are lots of bugs of all kinds, mosquitos, flies etc, as well as the kind of humidity that occasionally verges on the unpleasant (perhaps, though, that's just me, preferring the dry heat of Isalo, farther south).

There is a large beach, in fact, several of them, strung along a long walk through the forest, almost invariably empty, but I should say straight away that, impressive as they are to look at or stroll on, and eminently photogenic, they are not really the best to swim in. The hotel is in a lush natural setting, surrounded by mangroves, which means that the sea is always murky and the sand occasionally muddy. But you don't come to Anjajavy as a substitute to the Maldives - you come here because you can realistically see more wildlife (flora and fauna) than anywhere else on an average trip to Madagascar, all while you rest in gorgeous, luxury huts, swaying in your hammock or strolling in the forest.

We travelled throughout Madagascar for two weeks before ending up here, and we absolutely loved it, but whereas the brief sighting of a lemur high on a tree was an extraordinary sight everywhere else, in Anjajavy we saw dozens of them, up close and personal, on a daily basis, at tea-time in the Oasis, as well as the most beautiful giant lizards, emerald green geckos, kingfishers, crabs, oh, and baobabs a-plenty, all as a matter of course. Various day excursions are available - several included in the price - and you should do at least a couple, to get a sense of the extraordinary natural setting of Anjajavy, and to relish a dip in the pool (or your lovely shower - it's cooler!) afterwards and a cold glass of South African white on the gorgeous dining room deck.

And all this in a setting of great comfort, good food, lovely, muted style and exceptional architecture, beautifully detailed and discreetly situated in the surroundings. The ambience is geared towards calm and privacy, with no piped music except in the bar (very discreet), no disturbances and generally excellent service. I should say that I arrived ill, with the flu (yes, in the tropics, how stupidly unlucky...) and I was immediately offered the services of a wonderful local lady doctor, who also provided medication, all for absolutely free, as if it was the most natural thing in the world. This was priceless.

Anjajavy is all inclusive - with three meals AND afternoon tea, minus alcohol - which is wonderfully relaxing as you put budget issues aside (except if you like your cocktails... they can add up). But what is exceptionally odd for such a well run and gracious establishment is the charging for water. In a place so cut off from the world, where you have absolutely no chance of buying anything from anywhere else unless you catch the flight back to Tana, to charge for such a fundamental necessity as drinking water is a real faux pas, and I do hope they correct this. Admittedly, you get a bottle or two a day free per room, but this isn't enough half enough for one person in this climate... I wouldn't have noticed a tenner more on the room price, but the free availability of cold drinking water would have made the world of a difference.

In terms of service, a very special mention to the manager, Cedric de Foucault, who is the embodiment of discreet, unaffected charm, knowledge and passion for his project (Anjajavy's role in preserving and supporting the local environment and its people). He and his lovely wife are a major asset to the place, making you feel that you are participating in something bigger, better and more enduring than just a week's detoxing for your weary urban mind. Despite my aversion to humidity and bugs, I am sure I will be back here, if only for this reason!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank DrLexLondon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Anjajavy
Constance Tsarabanjina
La Crique
#9 of 15 in Nosy Boraha
Hotel de la Baie
Hotel de la Baie
#2 of 14 in Antsiranana (Diego Suarez)
Hotel Brajas
Hotel Brajas
#42 of 59 in Antananarivo
Hotel Belvedere
Hotel Belvedere
#4 of 59 in Antananarivo

Been to Anjajavy L'Hotel? Share your experiences!