“The perfect place for a honeymoon”
Review of Anjajavy L'Hotel

and 1 more site!
Anjajavy L'Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Anjajavy
Reviewed 30 August 2011

We stayed in Anjajavy at the end of the month of May. This was the last hotel during our honeymoon trip and I am so glad my husband convinced me to book it. It was expensive for sure, especially driven by the fact that you can only access it by private airplane, but it was so worth it !
We stayed 3 nights and 4 days and could easily have stayed longer. The place is beautiful and definitely worth its status as Relais et Chateaux. While we were there only 6 villas out of the 25 villas of the resort were occupied, so we quickly became friends with the other guests. The attention to detail and the personal touch was wonderful. As honeymooners we also got some special treats but I won't tell so I don't spoil the surprise for other people.
The villas are beautiful and made of palissandre wood, the view from the balcony is wonderful. You feel secluded but at the same time you know that you can have whatever you wish. I highly recommend paying extra for the picnic on the beach (unforgettable) and the excursion to Moranga Bay.
If you can afford this place, then definitely go there ! It's a beautiful end to any Madgascar stay and no other place on the island match the standards of Anjajavy.
PS : the only thing the place lacks is a spa, which would definitely be a + there

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AnneMarieTipi

Reviewed 30 August 2011

Not what expected does not have everything that they say on eebsite very dissapointed. Location is good but absoloutley terrible experince!

• Stayed: August 2011
9  Thank Sally P
Reviewed 23 August 2011

A perfect paradise – can’t wait to return! The beach is wonderful, the wildlife amazing and the scenery jaw-droppingly gorgeous, but what we’ll remember most was the warm welcome we received from the Anjajavy team. Cedric , Gaëlle and all personnel truly went above and beyond to make our stay memorable. Can’t thank them enough for the delicious meals, the excursions with Max and Rado, who patiently answered my endless questions, and for our special surprise spectacular by Francia, Fredy and Théo.
Quite apart from all Anjajavy did for us (chiefly providing a calm haven to relax more deeply than I ever remember doing), the work this group is doing with the environment and people in the surrounding communities is also commendable. Rare that one can feel so good and so virtuous at the same time. The commitment to biodiversity and reforestation as well as to education and fair trade permeates the culture at Anjajavy – not only do they invite you to paradise, they are working to maintain and improve it. It was a special privilege to go to the market, very much for the local people rather than tourists, meet the children and see the village. I could have watched the boatbuilders for hours.
A special word about the food – wow! The chef is adept with seafood in both classic French and Malagache fusion preparations. The desserts were lovely, and the croissants got every morning off to a wonderful start.
And finally – the wildlife. If you want to see lemurs close up, this is the place. It’s like they exist on a different plane – they come very close, but don’t interact with humans, seemingly oblivious to us. A highlight was watching Coquerel’s sifakas, several with small babies, while taking tea in the Oasis garden. We also spent a lovely afternoon on the steps of our villa watching brown lemurs tackle the palm nuts. Birding is also interesting here, and for those who wish to explore, there are ample invertebrate, marine, botanical and geological curiosities to keep anyone happy. However if all you want to do is contemplate the horizon and take the occasional swim, the beaches are phenomenal and the water clear and warm.
Before we left Anjajvy, we were already planning a return visit. We look forward to relaxing on the beach, enjoying the wonderful food, seeing the lemurs and most of all reconnecting with our kind, attentive hosts who quickly became our friends. Nous y retournerons aussitôt que possible.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank margymac
Reviewed 17 July 2011

We spent the second week of our honeymoon at Anjajavy. We knew that it was going to be luxurious as we had booked through Imagine Africa and been briefed that it was a very special place. What we hadn't reckoned on was the sheer charm of the place!
We were met with coconut infused cold hand-towels straight off the plane at the airstrip, and met Cedric, the manager. Cedric was absolutely the consummate professional, and throughout the week we enjoyed talking to him, and were impressed by the great attention that was paid by him and his excellent reception team to inquire unobtrusively how we were.
The standard of accommodation was very high, as expected. Staff were always friendly, courteous and eager to help, and clearly enjoyed their jobs and appreciated the significant contribution and positive impact that the hotel had on the local village.
We were all-inclusive, and the food was very good, especially given how remote the location is. The menu is not extensive, but did not need to be, as the choices were always appealing and well prepared. Portion sizes were just right, thankfully not overwhelming as is often the case. The wine list was satisfactory.
We spent a lot of time by the pool - and were often the only people there which suited us fine - lovely. The Oasis garden is a real treat - haven of tranquility and an opportunity to sit and appreciate the lemurs, birdlife and lush surroundings - I got quite hooked on digital photography (wedding present!) and spent many happy hours snapping the kingfishers there.
Highlights: Anjajavy village - fascinating, and also we thought essential to really understand the ethos of the hotel as how it sits in the local community; Crique-en-crique picnic on our own private beach - and absolute must, and really breathtaking, plus a lovely carefully prepared bbq; variety of nature / wildlife walks all of which were excellent, and we would recommend going with a guide rather than alone as so many things are missed otherwise; cruise in the mangroves, very peaceful and atmospheric; tea in the Oasis gardens every day.

We advise you let the reception know your ongoing travel plans - we did not, and nearly missed our connecting flight from Tana on the day of our departure as the hotel plane was held up by fog. If they had known that we had a flight sooner than they expected, they would have had the hotel plane waiting in Anjajavy from the previous evening. This was the single biggest stress of the holiday - and Cedric and his staff were again very helpful and gave us use of their phones to speak to airlines / tour operators etc as needed.

For a honeymoon, or 'special holiday', we cannot think of a reason why Anjajavy could be faulted. Wonderful, wonderful place.

Room Tip: They are all the same, and all have amazing views...
1  Thank holidayjoys
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Spent 5 days here as part of our honeymoon. The whole experience was unforgettable from the private flight in to the lemurs. Couldn't recommend it more

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 16 June 2011

My husband and I spent 9 days at Anjajavy Hotel end May, early June and the weather was perfect - around 30 degrees with a lovely breeze most days. The sea was warm and the pool a perfect temperature as well. This hotel has a most beautiful location in a natural reserve which allows one to observe the local wildlife (including lemurs) and birdlife with ease. Dailly walks are organized with well-informed guides which makes the excursions enjoyable and interesting. As for the hotel, Cedric (the manager) as well as the rest of the staff, make every effort to ensure that you are comfortable and enjoying your stay. Their attention to your personal needs is outstanding. We found the food very enjoyable - the fresh sea food in particular. The hotel is in a very isolated spot yet the chef manages to provide interesting (yet simple) flavoursome food on a daily basis.The oasis is a magnificent natural garden which allows one to observe the birdlife and lemurs, and in our instance, a snake, on a daily basis.
As with all hotels, sometimes things go wrong, but the staff are so attentive to any problems that the inconvenience is minimal eg the water pump went early one evening but was repaired overnight, no mean feat given the hotel's isolation. However, it is Cedric's and the staff's response to any difficulty which makes this place unique. In our case, we were offered a free massage as compensation which was very enjoyable.
We would strongly recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a unique escape from the pressures of daily life. Anjajavy is a very special place: literally in a time zone of its own (they have Anjajavy time which is one hour different to Madagascar time) which extends the day and allows one to observe wonderful sunsets around 6pm when we were there. We enjoyed every aspect of our stay there and wish to thank Cedric and all the staff for their kindness and attentiveness which together with the hotel's unique location make this a very special place to go too.

2  Thank Haywards_11
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We went to Anjajavy for our honeymoon. We choose it because it was somewhere hot with beaches. We are from Barbados, Caribbean but wanted a honeymoon somewhere different and extra special. Although partial to spending hours lying on a beach, I like to take my "sea baths"(bajan term) in the morning and evening when the sun and sand is not burning me. So I need something to do in between those hours. In comes the fascinating culture, flora and fauna of Madagascar which you can happily immerse yourself in at Anjajavy at your own leisure and pace. My new hubby was happy that we were unlikely to encounter any large man-eating animals while there to rescue his new bride from; unlike the rest of Africa.
- We booked through Rainbow Tours with Derek setting up all of our connections and once we got to Tana and through to Anjajavy and back. We booked our flights independently. We picked Anjajavy also based on their recommendation, online reviews, desription and we also had a look at the IMAGES and satellite map on Google...just to make sure the beach really had white sand the sea was blue and we weren't going in typhoon season. I also had no desire to spend my honeymoon with 200 other guest not even 100.
- Well, expections exceeded to the point that in the first few days I felt guilty that I was being so pampered! Wedding stress and my fast paced life in the UK just melted away..... Time slowed down when lying in a hammock in the morning and speeded up when you thought "is it time for dinner already" and slowed down again when you were having dinner! It must be the fact they have their own time zone. New hubby thought he was in an Episode of TV series "Lost" and I was transported to my childhood becoming a real Robinson Crusoe! As I have always suspected "the French have all the best secrets!!"
- The staff are amazing! Every morning and evening I waved to and greeted the waiting staff, housekeepers, gardeners and reception. I say they are shy at first but once you start greeting them in French, a bit of Malagasy or "Salaam" (most people in this region are muslim unlike tana's Christians), their faces light up, they smile and greet you back. Every evening Sophie activities director ask us if there was any excursions or activities we wanted to do the next day and arranged it all. Have to admit, we needed a wakeup call for some of these after becoming far too relaxed. Max who's from Tana was a great guide who conspired with new hubby to make jokes at climbing down caves, up rocks and failling miserably to pedal a bicycle uphill or in sand. He also found amusement when we both decided to try water skiing and we found amusement in all the activites he did in slippers particularly with giant hairy crabs inching closer to his toes. But he set us at ease. Rado who is from Mahajanga can miraculously imitate not only the lemur calls but the birds calls too and obviously knows where all the sacred Boababs are in the forest. The doctor who treated me for a bit of infection free of charge (for which I felt guilty again for using the medication of the locals) which cleared up once I was fed, watered and stopped sleeping with the air con on. The guides who took use waterskiing and snorkelling were excellent and made sure we were safe and looked after even though they spoke little English. The masseuses who together with new hubby giggled when I feel asleep on both occasions of relaxing massage....snoring. Last but not least Cedric, offical manager and unofficial jack of all trades and Mr. fix-it from astronomer to pseudo-nurse to taxi triver who is amazing and truly lucky to live in such a place. When the water pump broke down over night he had to get a new on flown in from Tana and offered us a free massage and a bottle of wine for something that really had very little impact on us( we were asleep).
- Our days were filled with afternoon tea, lounging in the hammock and sleeping with the doors open to the sound of waves on the beach.

To make you stay as good as ours, I recommend and advise:
If you have a real sense of adventure then you'll do fine.

- Planes.. if you don't like flying, you won't be able to go...if you don't like small planes you won't be able to go..if you get plane sick..like me...take some tablets you'll be fine. The plane we arrived on was an eight seater including the pilot and co pilot. The plane we left on was a 6 seater..the South African wife who had had a bad small plane experience spent a lot of time with her head in her hands. One poor couple arrived on a 4 seater.

- Drinks and water: the alcohol is pricey but no more so that if you went to top hotels and restaurants in Tana. On each excursion, all the guides have water and if it Moromba Bay or the Mangrove sunset cruise you get a cocktail also. Juice cocktails are also given to you on arrival to the hotel and on return from any excursions. Afternoon tea is free. We hoarded water (two one-litre bottles a day) and we had more than enough. If you want a bit of tipple try the local rum and wine, which was certainly as good as Barbadian rum and Nicoise rose wine. This is not an all you can drink establishment. They or your do not want any drunken accidents considering serious medical care is an hour and a half by plane in Tana and then some more to Mauritius and South Africa!
- The food is more than enough and if you get a bit bored of fresh fish and zebu steaks, there is an extra menu that you can order croque monsiuer sandwiches, pizza and pasta from. I only regret not getting to meet the chef and congratulate him on excellent seasonal food and using sparingly the items which have to be flown in from outside the reserve or from another country. Again this is not all you can eat but healthy, tasty cuisine made from mainly local produce.
- Laundry...I brough minimal clothes and nothing that could not be dried by a day's sunshine on the verandah. We washed our own clothes...good investment repellant infused zip off trousers...no bugs and shorts when trail goes through water which Max didn't mention on the Chemin Sakalava, just smiled!
- Bugs....repellant is mandatory I would say on trails and and sunset or sunrise activities. I suffer from a bad reaction to insect bites so I sprayed myself, the net and clothing and wore repellant bands on arms and legs at night I work mainly a long skirt or trousers and a long sleeve silk top. I was bit a few times out on the trails...wore wrong shorts but nothing while sleeping or at dinner not even in the oasis.
- Money...don't need it...everything is added to your bill so just bring you credit/debit card. I can't remember which one they take but between me and hubby we have visa, mastercard and Amex so we must have used on of those.
- Shopping.....not a lot....but still being a woman, I bought two hats in the hotel boutique and coconut oil for my hair and a lamba from the shop in Anjajavy village which was added to my bill. My lamba was 3 Euros which shocked my because I've never bought an item of clothing for so little before.
- Snorkelling.....Do not put your feet down, even to thread water as there are sea urchins in Moromba Bay. If you get tired swimming request floating vest so you can remain horizontal. Best snorkelling at 3rd and 4th beach. Put a little shampoo in the mask/googles to stop them from fogging up. Also be mindful of the marees, the tides.
- Kids...Not sure if this is the ideal resort for kids...that said we had one little girl during our stay who was quite happy to....go to school of all things with Cedric's kids and was exceptionally quitet during dinner. If your kids need a lot of activities for children/teenagers to avoid boredom I would not suggest this resort. If your child is happy digging in the sand for hours..book the flight.
- The pool...I..being from Barbados and obsessed with sea water (even in Cornwall, Nice, Scarborough and now Anjajavy)....am biased against chlorinated water...however it does have it's uses. Hubby and I used it twice. It needs to have markers so people don't dive in the shallow end or non-swimmers and children avoid the deep end. If the poolside are an important and integral part to your holiday, I would say chose a different hotel. If you think the poolside is crowded, the reserve has around 11 or so different beaches that you can escape to, two which you can reserve your private picnic on with a Do not disturb sign!
- Humidity and heat- practice appropiate suncare. It is the Tropics afterall. A giant hat works like an umbrella and avoid doing anything strenuous in the heat...just like the locals!
- Boredom....really..no way...go on the excurions...surf the net...go to the villages....go on the 30km hike our brave south african co-guest went on..you get flown back in time for dinner....try you hand at french or malagasy..do one of those activites on the board...read a book from the library, play pool, watch tv....all this in between sleeping and eating and drink.
- Donate and gifts...I donated my Malagasy- Englsih dictionary, my old trainers and old straw hat which I am sure they could repair for nothing, and pens, pencils and sharpeners for the villages. We were gifted a tree to plant...which we have named the "Bajan Boabab" and I left the guest some Barbados souvenirs as they say "we are proud where we come from and where we have been"

This is the best holiday I have ever had. I was pampered, spoilt, detoxed, relaxed and healthier. I hope to go back maybe in 10 years to see how big the bajan Boabab is! It was worth it!!

Room Tip: 2nd beach picnic. snorkel on 3 & 4 beach
5  Thank Marleyhill34

Been to Anjajavy L'Hotel? Share your experiences!