“Surpassed all expectations!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Anjajavy
London
“Surpassed all expectations!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

My husband and I spent a week at Anjajavy at the end of our honeymoon in May. We had booked the trip months before, and having read all the reviews on Trip Advisor I had very high expectations and was beginning to worry that I might be disappointed. I needn't have worried for a second as our stay here exceeded all expectations!
The hotel is set in stunning surroundings, and we never got bored of the discovering the numerous beaches and fascinating forest, and watching the sifaka lemurs dance across the lawn in front of us at lunch time. The food and service was wonderful. From the moment you wake up in the morning you are looked after so well, with the friendly staff being attentive without being too much. Every time we came back from a walk we were greeted with fresh juice, there were delicious homemade cakes and biscuits in the oasis every afternoon, and tasty snacks were bought to us as we sat sunbathing on the beach! Every day there were little surprises or activities that we loved, and as honeymooners we were certainly made to feel very special!
For me, what sets this hotel apart from other 5* luxury resorts, is the relationship the hotel has with its surroundings and the local villages, and the passion that Cedric (the manager) shows towards maintaining the delicate balance of this relationship.
I can not recommend this hotel highly enough, and I really hope that we get to come back for another holiday here in the future!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RN80

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

A girls trip to paradise! We had a fabulous stay and would most certainly recommend Anjajavy to anybody wanting to get a feel for Madagascar, without “roughing” it. The combination of 5 Star beach resort and wildlife reserve makes it a truly unique destination. The Anjajavy Team deserves fourty seven gold stars and Anjajavy must rank with some of the best lodges in Africa. Cedric and his team provided a personalised service that I have yet to experience anywhere else. To say that the food was sublime is an understatement – Michelin star quality with a variety to be marvelled at. No request was too much to ask for and a very special effort was made to make every day and evening special and memorable – beach lunches on a special secluded private beach, beach dinner, dinner in the paradise garden, sundowners on the beach, moving of the entire lounge to create a beautiful cocktail lounge outside under the palm trees – amazing and inspirational. The fact that all this is done with limited resources (all food etc is either flown in or brought by boat), makes it even more impressive. The guides were knowledgeable and wonderfully personal and we had great fun learning about the strange and wonderful creatures and plants of Madagascar. The two items of “constructive criticism” we had for Cedric – 1) Upgrade your website. The website is 12 years old and in no way does justice to Anjajavy. And 2) Stock fluffy toy lemurs in the otherwise beautiful shop. That should say it all.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Heidi F
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

The best hotel I've stayed at bar none and I've stayed at some very good hotels. The food was superb, the service discrete and perfect. The whole resort with its private beaches which can be "rented" for the day, is soooo good. The wildlife was amazing both outside the hotel and in the resort. The trips arranged by the hotel, especially to see the Madagascan Fish Eagle, were all very good. The accommodation was very comfortable. We went in September and the weather was ideal and the resort was not crowded. Paradise!

Room Tip: They are all good
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HasselsSteve
Constantia, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2013

It's is quite simply heaven on earth! The hotel is fantastic! The food is good and the people are really friendly! It is like no other place in Madagascar or the Indian Ocean. You fly in and there are very few people around. The resort is remote and safe and so relaxed and relaxing. I arrived and my back had completely seized. I could hardly move. I was with my two kids aged 5 and 6 and my nanny. Cedric, the manager, met us at the landing strip and arranged for the doctor to come to the lobby when we arrived. He gave me some voltaren and I was back moving around 48 hours later. Because I was not able to partake in any activities the first few days Cedric arranged for one of the guides to take both my kids out on a nature walk for 3 hours. They loved it and I needed the break. Combination of nature, beach and sifaka, lemurs and cameleons everywhere. Lots to do...wonderful pool, nice guests, wonderful staff lots of empty beaches and amazing shells. One day we had one of the guys take us out on a hobie for a few hours. No extra charge. Amazing scenery...what can I say...can't wait to go back

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank guapatwoboys
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013

I will start by answering some questions (the ones I had when I first read about Anjajavy)

* is it expensive?? Yes, it is...!!!

* is it really that good?? Yes, it is...!!!

* is it worth the money??? Yes, it is...!!!

* do you see lemurs easily?? Yes, you do...!!!

* are they really wild?? Yes, they are...!!!

* is there any other wildlife?? Yes, there is...!!! lotsa birds, snakes, endemic trees, lizards, crabs, etc.

* are the beaches any good?? Yes, they are...!!! there are total 5 beaches (1 right in front of the resort, 4 on the trails) and they are mostly deserted, have one for urself..! :-)

* are the activities any good?? Yes, they are...!!! paid boat rides and free walks, catamaran rides

- The food was not the best we have had.. especially the vegetarian food.. we understand the difficulties of getting the groceries to such a remote place and so we didnt mind it... and the staff did their best... they used to ask us if we want anything specially made for veggie food.. (in addition to what they have planned for me)..
- They need better salt and pepper crushers on the tables..
- The cocktails were strong and bitter, not as smooth as they could have been..

I wouldn't even have mentioned these negatives if it wasn't this expensive... because it was good, it just wasn't as out of the world as everything else here! I mentioned them just to set the expectations right... but if you consider that the money you pay is going into conserving and growing such a big reserve and local community, you don't care about these extremely small things..

If you don't need to know anything else, stop reading and go to Anjajavy...!!! :-)

More details :

The main attraction here is the untouched wildlife... when you go to other national parks, there will be so many other tourists that you don't feel that you are in the wild.. Here, you do! You are actually in the wild, the wildlife is all around you and you just happen to be living right in the middle of it... Sifakas came to greet us just after 5 minutes of getting there.. they actually jumped to the trees closer to us and looked at us with their big expressive eyes... We saw a huge ground boa in the hotel garden, oasis, one day when we were walking to the breakfast.. Sifaka lemurs are jumping around every evening as they feed on the trees... different beautiful birds are singing to the tune of nature... and to top it all, all this happens on the shores of a beautiful ocean.. :-)
The staff at the resort makes sure that you don't have to worry about any logistics.. you wake up and you are served an elaborate breakfast.. fresh squeezed juices, fresh fruit plate, freshly baked pastries, coffee/tea and made to order eggs.. (and breakfast meats for non-vegetarians)..
If you are interested in any activity, you just talk to the staff and they will take care of it.. some activities are guided and some are optionally guided.. boat trips were good.. and the catamaran ride was one of the best experiences.. so relaxing and exciting at the same time...
We were there for the new year's eve and they had put up a huge celebration... there was Champagne and a grand buffet .. then a surprise performance by the locals and some of the staff... it was beautifully put together.. at the end of the performance, they let us participate in the dance and the staff actually taught us some Malagasy moves..!!! we were dancing with everybody wayyy past midnight... it was soooo much fun..... !!!!! :-) :-) :-) :-)
They let us plant a tree even though we were not on our honeymoon.. it was a nice experience.. They also surprised us with a dinner in the oasis and a chocolate cake... :-)
We spent a lot of time around the pool swimming and drinking the best freshly squeezed mango juice...!!!!

We would go back tomorrow if we could..!!!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank SuparnaPune
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2013

What more can I add that hasn't already been said! Anjajavy was everything that we had hoped for and so much more. We stayed for 9 nights at the end of our honeymoon and it was the perfect choice - stunning location, pristine accommodation (private villas all overlooking the beach) and quite easily the best service I have ever experienced. The staff are all incredibly friendly, attentive and you feel that nothing is too much for them. There are so many options of activities that 9 nights really wasn't too long a stay and the food was also varied and delicious. We loved to relax in the late afternoon as they served tea and the lemurs would travel through the gardens right in front of our eyes, a unique experience. I couldn't recommend Anjajavy highly enough and urge others to do everything they can to visit soon!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Butski66
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2012

Our 5 days at Anjajavy were hard to fault. The hotel is the result of a perfect partnership between the hotel and the local community. From the employment of staff from the local fishing village, ongoing work to preserve the flora and fauna on the associated reserve, to the financial and physical assistance given to the locals. A trip to a destination such as Madagascar in my mind can only be justified if it benefits the local community and Cedric de Foucault and his team have made this a key priority, achieved without once compromising on a first class standard of service provided to the hotel guests. With a full programme of guided nature walks on the reserve, visits to the local villages to see the investments made by l'Ecole du Monde in partnership with the hotel, and the daily rendez-vous with the lemurs over tea in the delightful hotel gardens, our time was fully occupied, and we left 5 days later with heavy hearts, but the warm feeling that we had in some small way contributed to the well being of the local community and had been enlightened by our trip. Bon courage to Cedric and his team - a fine example of luxury eco tourism at its best.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank wildatheart78
Also consider these accommodations in or near Anjajavy
Constance Tsarabanjina
La Crique
#9 of 15 in Nosy Boraha
Hotel de la Baie
Hotel de la Baie
#2 of 14 in Antsiranana (Diego Suarez)
Hotel Brajas
Hotel Brajas
#42 of 59 in Antananarivo
Hotel Belvedere
Hotel Belvedere
#4 of 59 in Antananarivo

Been to Anjajavy L'Hotel? Share your experiences!