“Beautiful”

and 1 more site!
Anjajavy L'Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Anjajavy
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Anjajavy was a surprise from my husband for our honeymoon in October 2013 and he couldn't have chosen anything that would have suited us better. The natural beauty and isolated feel were such as I have never before experienced and the attention to detail at the resort was just the best. I particularly enjoyed the romantic picnic on the beach and the deep sea fishing.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

Spent four nights at gorgeous Anjajavy. This hideaway is truly the garden of eden and definitely the best in Mada, I was glad that this was at the end of my 2 wk stay in Mada as of the four hotels on this trip, while this hotel was definitely the most decadent, the most spectacular, with the best service under Cedric's capable & passionate leadership, it was also the most sedate one.

The bungalows had aircon and all the creature comforts of a top hotel, swinging hammocks etc (including much appreciated strong insect repellent). To be able to experience these comforts in the middle of nowhere in Madagascar was truly a triumph against the odds.

Food was top notch, the new year's eve dinner was excellent and the dance performance by the staff & local village was fantastic and entertaining. The entire place is very pretty, manicured and beautifully designed, a great place to come and just be holed up.

A small minor issue for me was that I had higher expectations for their guided walks and studied their "activities book". As I came to Madagascar to see the wildlife (as we have incredible beaches back at home). The guided walks (did 3 of them) by comparison to the other 3 hotels in Mada (Vakona, Mandrare & Manafiafy) were super tame, ie the l'enclos des tsingy (supposedly 7km & a 3 hr) took less than an hour.

Otherwise, this is a stunning place to visit for a few days at the end of a trip as it is a socially responsible hotel that employs over 110 staff from the local villages and is impressively helping the local community/environment (ie reforestation via 250,000 trees planted), it is a tempting place to laze all day on 1 of the picture perfect beaches or by the pool, hang out with dancing Sifakas (bungalow 12 was a great location, seaview and right next to the Sifakas' "oasis"), but for more adventure /wildlife, other places in Mada are better.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Anilegna
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

Just returned from one of the most memorable vacations ever. Anjajavy has it all, white sandy beaches, a crystal pool, hammocks on your patio, excellent food and without a doubt some of the best service we have ever had at a hotel. As if all of this is not enough you have lemurs visiting in the garden during afternoon tea! Cedric has a fantastic team and we can not praise the entire team enough! If you are going to Madagascar- stay here. It is absolutely Brilliant!

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We were at Anjajavy for a week and absolutely loved the resort. It is a smallish resort stuck in the middle of forests housing various species of lemurs. Our daily walks brought us face to face with Sifaka's and brown lemurs- the lemurs were not skittish allowing us amazing photo opportunities. But the experience was not just about the forests and wildlife (though that was very special).

The food was excellent, especially the seafood and local dishes that the chef prepared. We were not left disappointed by any meal. The highlight was the picnic on beach 2-- an absolute must for anyone who travels to Anjajavy. You have a private beach with a butler/chef who prepares your lunch, serves you wine while you laze under the umbrellas or in the hammock. After lunch their are beds setup in the shade for an afternoon nap-- a really special experience.

The service was at all times excellent, friendly and efficient and you never had want of anything- a really great team where all staff from the waiters to the gardeners are warm and friendly. The manager Cedric was warm and engaging and always around. It was really great to see the enthusiasm he has for preserving the wildlife and forests around the lodge.

I would definitely recommend the lodge to all!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a clear view of the beach and close to the beach, a couple of the rooms were sli...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BushFreak
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Having gathered together to celebrate Christmas as a family, conversation constantly returns to our wonderful holiday to Anjajavy in August 2013. The photographs that have now been printed (and some on our walls) remind us again of how much we enjoyed our time with Cedric and his team of amazing staff. The guest service was outstanding and no leaf was left unturned in order to provide us with a first class experience. Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff, with particularlattention shown to a member of the group who was pregnant. The meals were delightfully created using fresh and local produce. The setting was beautiful with several pristine and deserted beaches to explore, along with the numerous paths through the dry forest for which guides were available. Some of our highlights were the following:
- kayaking to crique (beach) 3 to snorkel
- boat trip and snorkelling in Morumba Bay
- afternoon tea with the lemurs
- dancing Sifakas crossing the lawn during lunch
- private picnic

We would love to return some day with the baby (or two)!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Wonderful hotel in an amazing location with excellent villas and private beaches
The staff could not have been more friendly and helpful and the food was first rate
We have stayed in many luxury hotels all over the world this must be the best in madegascar

Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Spent 4 magical days/nights at Anjajavy L'Hotel. There was nothing that wasn't perfect. From the moment we arrived at the PRIVATE lounge at the Antananarivo Airport for the PRIVATE flight to Anjajavy, we were treated like royalty. When we arrived at Anjajavy, the "Maitre D'Maison" Cedric was apologetic, even for a weather-related flight delay (as if he controlled the weather!) but that was just his attitude throughout--taking personal responsibility that every guest's experience is stellar. Let me give another concrete example: Approximately 2 weeks before my arrival, I had noted by chance that a special species of lemur (the blue-eyed black lemur) is endemic in the very next peninsula north of the hotel. Well, on a lark, I emailed Anjajavy L'Hotel asking them if they could take me to see this lemur. To my shock they wrote back in 24 hours to say: yes, we are game if you are! I had thought they would scoff at this off-the-cuff idea, but they took it on as a challenge! A few days before my arrival, they sent a guide on a "test run" and he was successful! So of course I leapt at this adventure and had the time of my life--a dawn boat journey across choppy (but not sickening) seas to the peninsula, hike up a red-dirt ridge overlooking the sea through an exotic landscape filling with multi-color giant grasshoppers and austere praying mantis, through a jungle to a camp straight out of an Indiana Jones set, and then on to a troop of 8 lemurs with hair as black as night and eyes as blue as ice! So close that one peed on me (almost--I had been warned and jumped away at the critical moment!) And if that's not enough they also spotted the beyond-rare Sahamalaza sportive lemur in his tree-hole hideout (unBElieveable!) Certainly if you stay at Anjajavy, ask to go on these specific; super-pricy but worth it. The rest of the stay was also magical--you will easily see sifakas dancing daily, as well as George the giant snake (don't worry, he's harmless). The staff also treated us to a private lantern-lit dinner on our final night in the "oasis" (a beautiful tropical hideaway-like area on the grounds of the hotel). I must also mention that the food was excellent and completely safe (a rarity in Madagascar--I have gotten sick at other "high end" hotels but not Anjajavy). The ocean is warm, with just enough waves to be fun, and there is a good place for snorkeling. On an minor point, I don't know where in Madagascar they got their mattresses and pillows, because they are the better than those at the finest city hotels in the country (we got more sound sleep in Anjajavy than anywhere else in Madagascar). In summary, when my fiancee booked us here, I said (ignorantly): why spend so much time "at the beach" when we could be travelling around seeing all that Madagascar has to offfer; the truth is that Anjajavy combines much of what Madagascar has to offer in a beach resort that is second-to-none.

Room Tip: Bungalow number 10 is right on the beach and has great lemur trees right next to the porch (but any...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TadW

Been to Anjajavy L'Hotel? Share your experiences!