All reviewsafternoon teaour honeymoonbrown lemurshis teamfishthe reservenight walklocal communityprivate beachclamsflora and faunaboat tripvery special placeindian oceanspent daysdry forestan adventure
Reviewed 15 October 2017

I am one of the hardest markers - VERY rarely do I consider any property (or restaurant) worthy of a '5', but such a score hardly does justice to Anjajavy L'Hotel... Other reviewers have paid full credit to Cedric and his team (NOT employees), the beautiful setting, the stunning lunches & dinners served, and the service - we are widely travelled but nothing has come close to 'Anjajavy'. On arrival, the people departing shouted "you will LOVE this place" and we did... Cedric met the team on arrival (his wife & 2 daughters had arrived on our flight - just 7 of us on a light aircraft - smooth flight with amazing scenery seen clearly from just 10,000 feet). Cedric shared with us the ethos of Anjajavy, 'for the people and the environment rather than a commercial operation based on luxury' (although it was luxurious!) They 'care' for a growing local population of 5,000 people, influencing them to work with the environment on a truly sustainable model for eco-tourism - these are not just words, they are fully supported by ACTION. We had travelled to Anjajavy from East Madagascar, where we had witnessed amazing wildlife but had seen poverty and problems that the local communities find very hard to cope with... No health care, illiteracy & poverty - it makes it difficult for people to smile. But at Anjajavy, the in-house doctor for the hotel cares not just for the team of 150 people (149 Malagasy of which 80% live in the nearby village) but also provides community care & advice. The school is sponsored by the hotel (they are now helping fund a second school building to cope with the increasing need for education), the local women have been helped to form an embroidery guild and the men now make wooden handicrafts - truly locally sourced and helping make the whole community sustainable and therefore able to SMILE. I could carry on writing this review forever but hopefully my message is clear. By coming to Anjajavy, you will not only have the VERY BEST experience personally but you will also be making a real difference to the lives of many local people. Yes the coves/beaches are wonderful, but this holiday for us was about the scenery & the wildlife, lemurs as close as you want them to be (but NEVER to be fed - rule 1 of 2), they are there because the environment is aligned to their needs - they have an oasis that we can share with them... Rule 2 (of 2) is no tipping individually (with no exceptions) - this leads to a single integrated caring team that are passionate about making their visitors happy - and it WORKS!!! PLEASE COME to Anjajavy (we went for 5 days, but there is so much to see, do & enjoy that you could easily come for 7-10 days...).You will not regret it...

Room Tip: 24 villas - all are equally wonderful!
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NickS-Barnes
Reviewed 14 October 2017

I feel that sufficient praise has been lavished on this distinguished hotel here. I agree with most reviewers - it is a jewel of a hotel. I think it must be a hard job maintaining a place to a high standard like that in a remote and inaccessible area (notice the way the address of the hotel is designated). This job is done brilliantly by Cedric, the GM of Anjajavy and his staff. For me the absolute highlight of the hotel were its seven beaches. The three beaches that are the furthest from the hotel proper (about 25 to 45 minutes walk, depending on the beach) are always deserted - ideal for skinny dipping etc. You can arrange to have a bed brought to the beach to sleep overnight, lunch or dinner served on the beach, bonfire lit on the beach for you, pretty much any beach activity - you name it. I travel a lot, a have seen many nice places, but this one truly stands out. If you are thinking about Madagascar this hotel is a must.

Room Tip: rooms are pretty much all the same. I stayed in villa 2 - a good 10 minute walk from the reception area and very private. Loved it.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2017

Cedric and his team do a wonderful job! Their commitment to the community and wildlife are inspirational. The lodge is situated on a beautiful sandy beach, and the food and rooms are wonderful. This is truly a gem.

Stayed: October 2017
Reviewed 7 October 2017

We felt hugely privileged to have had the opportunity to stay at Anjajavy for a week at the end of a 6 week trip to Madagascar. It provided the grand finale to a trip that was full of superlatives anyway but to experience Anjajavy at the end, just when we thought it couldn't get any better, just blew us away.
It wasn't just the beautiful setting, the immaculate gardens, the spotless beach, the luxurious villas, the wonderful meals and afternoon teas, the proximity and diversity of the wildlife and the range of activities, but also, the sheer passion of the staff and local community in providing a slice of paradise and at the same time, endeavouring to protect the local forest reserve. We felt there was a real coordinated team approach which created an ambience of harmony which was quite infectious.
Every need was catered for and whilst there was some much needed tranquility after our travels, there was a huge range of activities. We were able to walk the local trails during the day and night (with and without guides), swim, snorkel, kayak, sail, cycle, go fishing and explore caves. We'd already seen a huge amount of wildlife before Anjajavy but we still encountered new species there (crested ibis, bats of various kinds, including flying foxes, ghost and hairy leg crabs, fish eagle, harrier hawk, ground boa, sickle bill vanga, fat-tail dwarf lemur, golden brown mouse lemur ...)! It was like the whole of Madagascar concentrated into one small corner of the island. Our trip was full of surprises and Anjajavy provided yet more.
We are indebted to Cedric and all the staff for their hospitality and service and hope that the conservation efforts set an example to other areas in need of protection.

Room Tip: All villas are beachfront and accessed by a decking walkway.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank yvonnewilson316
Reviewed 7 October 2017

No doubt this review will be my longest ever - so much to report on....

We spent a magical 4 days at Anjajavy at the tail end of our two week trip to Madagascar in October 2017. After staying in some pretty rustic places elsewhere in Madagascar, this Relais & Chateaux property was, well, a slice of heaven. I almost had a papal moment on arrival in the lobby, but decided that falling on my knees and kissing the ground would have been a bit too melodramatic for the occasion.

Yet, I cannot over-emphasise enough the sense of arrival that the hotel exudes - starting with the airstrip and well-ordered "Anjajavy International Airport", the safari-style vehicles to proceed to the lodge 6 kms away, the tranquil drive along forest paths abounding with lemurs, birds, and even giant Baobab trees, and a friendly welcome at the lobby.

The hotel would be a wonderful resort in any global location, yet its settling amidst thousands of hectares of protected conservancy makes this an altogether special undertaking. The conservation undertones, and drive to be a force in local community upliftment is evident everywhere in how the hotel operates, the activities it offers and, well, the general outlook, messaging, and disposition of the hotel, its management, and staff.

The grounds are akin to a secret garden - little treasures to be found almost everywhere - chameleons, birds, lizards, insects, and of course lemurs, lemurs, lemurs. I lost my wife to the so-called Oasis - at first light she would wander from our bungalow into the Oasis, or along the myriad walking paths all round the hotel property - it was a tough job to get her to sit still for meals, as she was just itching to disappear into the Oasis again. The Oasis is indeed a focal point of the hotel, a wonderfully lush garden populated by wonderful flora and fauna. Kingfishers darting over the pond, coucals scurrying through the undergrowth, and lemurs making an appearance in the late afternoon at tea time. To be clear, there is no feeding and no habituation by the hotel, and the lemurs pass through the Oasis as they wish. This was, without a shadow of doubt, heads and shoulders above all, my wife's absolute highlight of our entire two week Madagascar trip.

A note on the food; our accommodation plan was half-board, or dinner-bed-breakfast. Lunch was an extra, and I mostly ordered from their "bar menu" which as first glance seems to be a snack menu but there are many delicious "comfort food" options which the kitchen was also happy to upsize to be a full meal. A big shout-out to the breaded fish, served with tartare sauce, and a wonderfully delicious spaghetti bolognaise, really, I had it three times, it was that good. Other than that, there is a set menu for both lunch and dinner, with two choices for each course - it changes every day, and as some guests stay a week or ten days I imagine the set menu cycle is long - no chance of a repeat. On all fronts the food was good - some dishes were truly outstanding.I took the great liberty of uploading lots of food pics - just to be fair to the chef and his team. As Cedric would tell you, you are not here to eat gourmet food, yet we really enjoyed all our meal.

The bungalows are solid, dark, wood. Bathrooms are a bit small but nevertheless well-designed with a separate toilet, accessible from the bathroom or bedroom. There is an upstairs area, with another bed for children perhaps, as well as a desk where I set up my laptop - out of the window I could see brown lemurs in the tree. There is a mini-bar with water, Sprite, Coke, fizzy water, and a beer. I should have asked for more beers to be stocked, as one of my favourite activities was to lie in the hammock on the veranda, sipping a beer, listening to the ocean, and watching lemurs scrambling across the trees in front of the bungalow.

There are endless activities, too many to mention here, but the resort is fully equipped with boats, boards, fishing gear. We took the speedboat to see the bats and the mangroves - indeed a nice afternoon. On land there are many many paths which guests may traverse themselves, there are guided walks (day and night), and bikes to explore greater distances. I jogged daily - sometimes to the airstrip and sometimes along a spectacular walking path along the cliffs to take in all 5 bays along the coast.

And then there is the Anjajavy team - from Cedric the effusive and passionate long-time manager, to the ever-helpful receptionists, the extremely competent and eager-to-please wait-staff, the excitable and deeply knowledgeable naturalists/guides and researchers, the almost invisible housekeepers ensuring your bungalow is immaculate, the industrious chefs and kitchen staff, the friendly groundsmen and gardeners, and the numerous other behind-the-scenes personalities who make the resort tick so well. One does get the impression that the staff are highly motivated, competent, friendly, and humorous. An important note here is that individual tipping is discouraged in favour of a tips pool, to ensure that all team members benefit from gratuities. The gratuity may be added to your bill upon check-out, which is indeed a good system, and the distribution of this pool is what Cedric calls the "Anjajavy Way" .

We will be back, Anjajavy is perfect in so many ways - having seen some of Madagascar's other treasures now, I feel that a repeat trip to Anjajavy will give me all the fix of lemurs, birds, exotic plants, local culture, beach, outstanding service, and good food that I need. Thank you Anjajavy for a memorable stay.

Room Tip: Request a bungalow with direct beach access and far down the beach for total privacy
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple