“A Beautiful, Friendly and Very Well Run Bit of Paradise”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Maroantsetra
Hotel Relais du Masoala
Leeds, United Kingdom
“A Beautiful, Friendly and Very Well Run Bit of Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

My wife and I, along with our 2 friends, stayed at Relais du Masoala either side of a visit to the Masoala Peninsula. We wish we could have stayed longer. We were met at the airport and driven to this beautiful hotel, where on arrival we were met by Monique, the most charming hostess and owner. After a welcome drink we were escorted to our respective bungalows. These are lovely with a veranda all round (perfect for sitting), inside it got even better. Great room with the best 2 double beds in Madagascar. The pillows and linen were fantastic. Monique, her friend Denise and all the staff looked after us so well. My wife is a gluten-free vegetarian and the kitchen catered for her very well.
They helped us organise a night walk, where we managed to see several different species of lemur and a tenrec.
If you are planning a trip to Madagascar you really must stay here, and by the time I write this, Monique will have opened her new sister resort on the peninsular. I have a feeling we may be returning!

Room Tip: Any of the bungalows would be worth staying in.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank WildlifeandLuxury

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Maun, Botswana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

When you travel in Madagascar you start to understand why you need to spend time in different places before moving on. I had hoped to go straight to Nosy Mangabe from Maroantsetra and not "waste time" in between the spots I wanted to see. Well it was a good thing I stopped over at R du M. I got to meet Monique, a very interesting lady and very luckily managed to see an Aye-Aye on the night that I spent there! The place is beautiful, the rooms are huge, the pool is welcoming, the beer is cold and the staff are great. You get what you pay for and R du M is worth every Ariary you will spend there. If you have not included Nosy Mangabe in our itinerary it is well worth speaking to Monique about this - that's if you like camping...

Room Tip: Stayed in two different rooms during the time I stayed in Maroantsetra. Both were great. There is no...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Anthony B
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2011

Monique's place (and Monique) is charming and was a magical spot from which to start the real "en brousse" part of my Madagascar trip far from Tana. Monique and Denise warmly welcomed our small group with comfortable accommodations, good meals, suggestions on when to go out and see the local people fishing in the mornings, and interesting insights about the area and country. Le Relais du Masoala is a good base from which to visit Nosy Mangabe and the entire area.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Ready4thenexttrip
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2011

Due to flight problems we arrived in Maroantsetra late afternoon with no local currency and minus my suitcase. Monique, the hotel owner, was amazing! She took me shopping to buy some clothes and essentials - with only 30 minutes shopping time she insisted that the stores would not overcharge me, because we were tourists. Monique changed some Euros into Ariary and also gave me a hairbrush and swimming costume (for use at Masoala Forest Lodge, our next destination). Monique helped to ease an otherwise, distressing situation which made the start of our holiday so much better. I can't praise Monique enough and it's this type of care and service for customers that makes this lodgestand out from all others. The staff are well trained - very friendly and helpful. The lodge is excellent with very comfortable lodges in beautiful landscaped gardens - do take a walk along the beach at sunrise and see the locals fishing. The food is excellent, especially the Madagascar king prawns. A very enjoyable stay and highly recommended.

Room Tip: All lodges have privacy and patio.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Hallandale Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2011

Relais du Masoala is a stunning lodge with well-appointed cabins and great food. The zebu skewers at dinner were outstanding. Monique, the owner, accompanied us on excursions, planned surprise picnics for us, chose the best guides, and entertained us as if we were her personal guests. I had a memorable 2-night stay there and give it 5 stars for accommodations, food, eco-tourism, and friendliness.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

I loved my time at Relais Du Masoala. The owner (Monique) was fabulous, personable and extremely helpful. Its this level of service that makes a place stand out and this was one of the highlights of my trip! Food was amazing, room was fabulous, staff were great. I highly recommend it to anyone!!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Rivergaro
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

On my way to Nosy Manga Be, I stayed one night here and, for the Madagascar standard,
this is a good place.
This is probably the best option in Maroansetra; the bungalow are pretty old, but very clean and well preserved (being near the sea, it's not easy).
The staff is very nice and you can have a good dinner here and a really good coffe!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maroantsetra
Princesse Bora Lodge & Spa
#2 of 2 in Isalo
Ravintsara Wellness Hotel
Ravintsara Wellness Hotel
#19 of 32 in Nosy Be

Been to Hotel Relais du Masoala? Share your experiences!