“Highly recommended. Definitely a gastronomic experience!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Chez Papa French Bistro and Wine Bar
Ranked #1 of 850 Restaurants in Johor Bahru
Cuisines: French, European, Wine Bar
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Established in 1999. Traditional French Regional Cuisine. Cheerful and comfortable Bistro decor. Considered Fine Dinning by some customers. Adjoining Wine Bar with cozy ambience. Extensive wine list, large selection of cocktails and International beers by the bottle.
“Highly recommended. Definitely a gastronomic experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Had some friends over for casual dinner. The restaurant is still as cosy and the onion soup is still as savoury. The pan-roasted cod fish is absolutely divine! The vegetables are still crisp and crunchy accompanying the fish wonderfully. The poached spinach in the chicken roulade is cooked perfectly and my beef parmaggiono is so tender that it melted in my palate. Come over on a weekday. Glad I did :)

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Mochimaltese

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia
“We will never go again...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

Our first and last visit is around 10 persons family member. Though we relocated in different country, we use to have re-union dinner every year.

For the service, we don't really care as we got things to catch up after a year. But it will be POOR if you ask me. Since there are many customer for them to take care...etc

The food is really bad, almost nothing is consider a "GOOD". For the quality I can only say is BAD.

For the Value, I would say "Five star price with no star food".

Though, the atmosphere is quite good when you feel lonely. Very crowded.

I might not even care to review this restaurant if Tripadvisor not keep sending email to ask me for it.

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Singapore
“A Hidden gem in JB”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

Visited this place in a big group of 17 people. It is important to place reservations prior to heading down. Love the deco and food. It makes me feel like I am stepping into a friend's place for dinner.

I read about the ribeye from reviews here.Ordered mine medium and it was good. Price for rib eye was about 65rm. Following reviews, we ordered the french onion soup and mushroom soup at rm 12 each. Portions were sufficient for sharing. Cordon Bleu chicken was well done too. Lastly, we ended off with creme brulee for dessert. It was one of the best I have tasted.

You could dress casually to this place for dinner. Pricing ranges from rm30-70 for main courses. I recommend this for couples, friends and families.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank onigiri86
Manila, Philippines
“Good dining option at JB”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

We came to Chez Papa due to its popularity here in Tripadvisor. And I must say that this little French Bistro is good in terms of food quality and service. We tried their pasta, escargot, and steaks and chicken liver pâté. All were very tasty and good, our favorite was the Rib-eye with red wine sauce. The staff were very accommodating, and did a great job at making the customers satisfied. I would highly recommend this restaurant in Johor.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Cha B
Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia
“Nice & cozy warm french dinner experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

Initially was not sure what to order because it was my first time there, but the the staff was very friendly and nice to explain what is on the menu. I decide to try their French Onion Soup, Ribeye with red wine sauce & banana flambé for dessert.
To my surprise! I LOVE the French Onion Soup! The nice warm bread goes really well with the soup too!
For the Ribeye, the staff check with me if I have tried a medium steak before... But really glad I took her advice to try the the medium ribeye with red wine sauce! The sauce goes really well, really enjoy the whole dish.
Dessert was even more amazing!
Banana flambé! Serve with vanilla ice cream. MUST TRY! Don't be deceive by the looks of this dessert ( the looks is plain, banana & ice cream with sauce drizzle) until you try it! The sauce, banana & the ice cream just married fantastically well!

Just a little note for new visitors, do call to make reservation especially during the weekend. Coz it was pack over at the restaurant, the bar area at the next room, it was a really and cozy place. Love the ambiance and the little details of the deco.
Overall really enjoy the night there, would defiantly be going back there again.

• Visited July 2013